Wide Out

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not see Jones back unless we lose people in camp and he's not signed by anyone else at that point.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm one of those who want him back. With all of the question marks I listed, Jones was really the only Packer WR in 2015 that you couldn't complain much about. He did what he was asked. I view him as pretty cheap veteran insurance. Is he the fastest guy on the field? No. But with Jordy coming back and stretching the field, Jones would be one guy who could greatly benefit from it.

While there´s no denying Jones had some nice games last season he had a total of nine games last season in which he had two or less receptions. I wouldn´t mind bringing him back on a deal close to the veteran minimum as an insurance in case of injuries but would rather keep one of the youngsters on the 53.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones had several good games. Nine games with two or less receptions and an inability to do anything other than run down the sideline means I would rather see someone else.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wouldn´t mind bringing him back on a deal close to the veteran minimum as an insurance in case of injuries but would rather keep one of the youngsters on the 53.

This is how I feel. I'm no saying pay him big $$ with guarantees, but nothing wrong with having a Vet like Jones in camp as insurance against an injury or in case Adams, Abby or Janis continue their inconsistent play at WR.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but they already know what he brings us and last year they felt strongly enough about the other guys and what they could do, to let him go. Since we basically never had a full compliment of receivers last year, and they'll all be back this year, plus I foresee at least 1 drafted and 1-2 undrafted WR's too in camp, they're going to give those reps and evaluate the new guys before Jones. I just don't see any way he's here unless our numbers are down and there's slim pickings. There's only so many roster spots and GB is going to give reps to someone younger at this point.

I think it's out of respect to JJ too, they aren't going to sign him and keep him in camp knowing that he's probably going to be replaced by youth anyway. They're going to let him be free to sign where he thinks he can get the most and play the most.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do not see Jones back unless we lose people in camp and he's not signed by anyone else at that point.

This is my point. Do we repeat 2015 and wait for an injury before looking through a depleted inventory of available WR's or do we sign that insurance policy now, while the inventory to choose from is high? I just have too many question marks on our current group to not think the prudent move is to find insurance now. Whether that is Jones or another player, just think its the wise move.

How many UDFA or mid to late round rookie WR's can we expect to contribute in 2016?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my point. Do we repeat 2015 and wait for an injury before looking through a depleted inventory of available WR's or do we sign that insurance policy now, while the inventory to choose from is high? I just have too many question marks on our current group to not think the prudent move is to find insurance now. Whether that is Jones or another player, just think its the wise move.

How many UDFA or mid to late round rookie WR's can we expect to contribute in 2016?
we've had quite a few contribute over the years. If James Jones was at 12 TD's and 1200 yards and 80+ catches, yeah sign him. But he started hot, faded fast and didn't do a lot the rest of the year. There are guys with that production everywhere in the NFL. I like JJ, I really do, but he just doesn't offer this team a lot. I'd be pissed if we missed out on the next Donald Driver for a guy that will give us 2 catches a game for "just in case" I don't want JJ taking reps from Adams, Abby, Janis or Monty heading into training camp.

I guess if we find ourselves in another position where we lose #1, #2 hurts his shoulder and is questionable to play and #3 badly sprains an ankle and we're a MASH unit before the season even really gets going, I guess those are the breaks, but i'm not banking on that. Not at the expense at the rest of the roster. What if we have that run of injuries at a LB or DL and we kept extra WR's? just for insurance?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again, I'm not advocating Jones being guaranteed a spot on the final 53. I think even he is smart enough to know that he is most likely an insurance policy where ever goes. If the other 6 guys on the roster beat him out, fine. Remember, in 2015 Jones led the team in receiving yards, Yds/catch (I don't include Janis) and tied for TD's. So while he and the Packers offense may have had some off games of non-production, JJ still was more productive then any other WR on the team.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Benjamin is for sure not yet on par with Jones or Nelson but he was the Panthers #1 receiver entering training camp. Carolina adjusted way better to losing him than the Packers did with Nelson´s injury.
Though he was the #1 receiver, the Panthers (being a very young offense) by no means tailored their offense around him. The Packers have tailored their offense to have a deep threat, a versatile slot receiver and a #3/4 receiver that can step in and make plays when against strong defensive backs. The Packers did not have a replacement for Jordy Nelson. The Panthers had a replacement for Kelvin Benjamin in Ted Ginn. Without Jordy, we had a slot receiver that could not be versatile against the strongest defensive back, a #3 receiver that we expected too much out of, a #4 more slot receiver than anything that battled injuries, a slow TE, and a 30 year old receiver that was half as productive as Jordy would have been.
The packers need to focus on protecting their investment. With almost our entire Oline in contract years for 2016, we need to think about what is most important offensively. If Rodgers is not getting time to throw the ball, it does not matter if we pick up Brian Quick, Travis Benjamin, Mohamed Sanu or trade up for Laquon Treadwell or Michael Thomas. When you look at the Packers future, our receiving core is stacked. This time last year NO ONE would have said we needed to upgrade our receiving core. Since then all that has happened is we added a quick Ty Montgomery and really got a taste of what Abby and Jeff Janis can do. As long as Lacy doesn't come to camp fat, the Packers only need on offense is an upgraded Oline.

D

Deleted member 6794

As long as Lacy doesn't come to camp fat, the Packers only need on offense is an upgraded Oline.

The starters on the offensive line are fine but Thompson should add depth at the position, especially at both tackle spots. In addition the team is in dire need of an upgrade at tight end.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say our OL is good, but some new blood for solid Comp and for our future's sake when either Lang or Sitton leave (or both).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I truly hope we have our #3 WR within our current players, I'm just not convinced yet.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It really comes down to whether or not you create the roster with the thought that injuries are GOING to happen to WRs and therefore you need an expensive, veteran backup. The other option is that the Packers will have two highly paid WRs starting as well as a former 2nd round pick and a few other guys with way more potential upside than Jones for much less. Do you trade potential upside and money at another position for the comfort of having an average WR with no upside?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It really comes down to whether or not you create the roster with the thought that injuries are GOING to happen to WRs and therefore you need an expensive, veteran backup. The other option is that the Packers will have two highly paid WRs starting as well as a former 2nd round pick and a few other guys with way more potential upside than Jones for much less. Do you trade potential upside and money at another position for the comfort of having an average WR with no upside?

My two questions would be: How many WR's do you expect the Packers to open training camp with? Currently, who is our #3 and #4?

I don't view James Jones as an expensive backup (talking NFL $'s here). In 2015, he cost the Packers $870K with a $585K cap hit. Davante Adams cap hit will be $1,072,746. Abbredaris Cap Hit: $525,000 Janis: $612,848

I also don't view Jones as just an insurance policy in case of injury. Had Adams, Abby or Janis had a stellar 2015, we wouldn't be having this conversation, but they didn't. Just as everyone feels Jordys return will help all the WR's, the same should be said about his effect on what Jones could do. I understand not keeping Jones if at the final cut, we have 5-6 healthy capable younger WR's. However, with what he was able to provide the Packers with last year and the others didn't, its going to be hard to convince me he couldn't provide that same safety net in 2016 at a low cost. I also don't think Jones will be standing around looking for a job come September, the Packers were extremely fortunate when he fell into their laps last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The way we used Monty last season, he wasn't really a true to form WR either. We used him all over. Backfield too.
Agreed. More of a Cobb/slot receiver kind of role, so not sure what the plans with him will be long term. I think he can be a good wide out, but still need to see more.

D

Deleted member 6794

The way we used Monty last season, he wasn't really a true to form WR either. We used him all over. Backfield too.

I don't expect Montgomery to emerge as the Packers #3 receiver. Adams is still the front runner for the job and hopefully he's able to bounce back from a disappointing 2015 season.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think having Monty on our roster will sway them one way or another regarding us drafting a WR early. I say this due to the fact of how we used Monty. What its going to boil down to, is if MM and TT *TRULY* think that Adams or Janis is that #3 guy (across from Jordy) or not. If they have lost faith in Adams, then I can see us getting a WR early in the rounds.

So i'd pay close attention to this. If we draft a WR early, this tells me (and us) that they have lost faith and trust in Adams. Janis is the wildcard, but too many question marks there, regardless of his Arizona performance. So for now, Janis is a one hit wonder in my eyes.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm one of those who want him back. With all of the question marks I listed, Jones was really the only Packer WR in 2015 that you couldn't complain much about. He did what he was asked. I view him as pretty cheap veteran insurance. Is he the fastest guy on the field? No. But with Jordy coming back and stretching the field, Jones would be one guy who could greatly benefit from it.

I know one other person, with a bigger vote then mine, that would like to see him back.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...s-wants-packers-re-sign-james-jones/78191414/

Like you said, Jones is the only WR on the Packers active roster in 2015 who doesn't have a big question mark over him in 2016. All the others have questions regarding coming back from injuries or if they can continue on their upward trend. Jones is solid if not spectacular and IMO there is no reason to expect a 2016 season any less than what he did in 2015 which would make for a great #3 or #4 WR. It may not be enough for a roster spot however. Its too bad as far as I am concerned, Jones is my Favorite Packer WR since Robert Brooks and I'd love to see him back. I'm not entirely sure though if I would want him back at the expense of the potential we have in the other guys. At some point you have to move on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure though if I would want him back at the expense of the potential we have in the other guys. At some point you have to move on.

Measuring and capturing that potential will be the key. Jones is pretty much a known quantity. Jones may not appear on the Packer Roster in 2016, but if I was a betting man, I would guess that 1 of either Adams, Abby or Janis won't be on it much past 2016.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think Monty will come back in a big way this year, just have this gut feeling. I think that with a season to rest and get better I think his speed and solid hands will become a big threat this year. Of course everyone expects Nelson to come out swinging. I don't see another wide out being the answer. The defense should be the focus during the draft and FA, including a TE. I guess we will all have to wait to see what they say about the progression of Richard Rodgers in the offseason, but I would like to see a huge impact player at TE.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like you said, Jones is the only WR on the Packers active roster in 2015 who doesn't have a big question mark over him in 2016. All the others have questions regarding coming back from injuries or if they can continue on their upward trend. Jones is solid if not spectacular and IMO there is no reason to expect a 2016 season any less than what he did in 2015 which would make for a great #3 or #4 WR.

It's true that we know what Jones has to offer and while he had some nice games last season there were times he completely disappeared as well.

As long as all of our receivers are healthy I would prefer the team to go with the young guys presenting more upside.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Career Stats:

Jeff Janis: 4 receptions
Jared Abbrederis: 9 receptions
Ty Montgomery: 15 receptions

I'm just having a hard time hanging my hat on this, since it has to be hung solely on "potential". As long as Jordy, Cobb and Adams (???) stay healthy, we should be ok while the other 3 develop?

Members online

Latest posts