why TT will take a wr sooner than later

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's going to go offense in the first round he's taking Ebron at tightend there's no doubt in my mind. Otherwise it'll be defense. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with taking Wrs in the later rd. on another note I think letting JJ go was a mistake . The wr suffered a lot of injuries last yr and we had to see guys like Myles White who was no factor at all.

I was completely against taking a TE in the 1st but I have changed my mind on this. Ebron is a freak and for me it all comes down to does he make the team better? With our TE situation, I think he absolutely does.

As far as letting JJ go, I don't think it was necessarilly a mistake. I think it was a smart calculated business decision. If Boykin hadn't emerged last season, I don't think there's any doubt James would be back. Time will tell on this one but I wish him the best in Oakland as I've said numerous times here, I had absolutely no problem with him as a player or person. From all accounts he seemed like a GREAT guy. I really hope Oakland figures out their QB situation because he deserves a shot at being a legitimate #1.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was completely against taking a TE in the 1st but I have changed my mind on this. Ebron is a freak and for me it all comes down to does he make the team better? With our TE situation, I think he absolutely does.

I´m fine with taking Ebron as long as both safeties and Mosley are off the board.

As far as letting JJ go, I don't think it was necessarilly a mistake. I think it was a smart calculated business decision. If Boykin hadn't emerged last season, I don't think there's any doubt James would be back. Time will tell on this one but I wish him the best in Oakland as I've said numerous times here, I had absolutely no problem with him as a player or person. From all accounts he seemed like a GREAT guy. I really hope Oakland figures out their QB situation because he deserves a shot at being a legitimate #1.

I don´t think letting JJ go will turn out as a mistake for the Packers. While I agree that it seems he was a great guy during his time in Green Bay I don´t think he´s a legitimate #1 WR.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m fine with taking Ebron as long as both safeties and Mosley are off the board.

I don´t think letting JJ go will turn out as a mistake for the Packers. While I agree that it seems he was a great guy during his time in Green Bay I don´t think he´s a legitimate #1 WR.

And he may very well not be but I think he deserves the chance to see if he can be and he was never going to get that here. I guess we'll find out how good Aaron makes these WR's look.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he may very well not be but I think he deserves the chance to see if he can be and he was never going to get that here. I guess we'll find out how good Aaron makes these WR's look.

I honestly think there's a very real possibility that guys like Jones and Jennings will wish, when it's all said and done, that they took less money to stay with the Pack. It happens all the time that guys go to bad teams with bad QBs and they get lost for the rest of their careers. (...and end up actually making less than they would have staying with their original team)

I'm a fan of JJ and I wish him very well... God bless him if he wants to have the #1 guy "title"...

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I honestly think there's a very real possibility that guys like Jones and Jennings will wish, when it's all said and done, that they took less money to stay with the Pack. It happens all the time that guys go to bad teams with bad QBs and they get lost for the rest of their careers. (...and end up actually making less than they would have staying with their original team)

I'm a fan of JJ and I wish him very well... God bless him if he wants to have the #1 guy "title"...
Jones is 29 and in the twilight of his career. The dude was homeless through much of his youth. He went where the money was and I sure as heck would too. If he doesn't have a pro bowl year I don't think it will bother him.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sigh * will you please read all my post! Please ! Goodness
I did. You said "I want a guy who can take a simple slant for 80 yds in a blink of an eye."

Someone replied, "Isn't that Cobb?" and you said "As good as he can be? NO."

Perhaps you have a different definition for "no?" Or perhaps you can clarify rather than tell someone to read your post all over again as if it wasn't read the first time?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly. The order of preference for our first round pick should be:

1. Pryor
2. Dix
3. Mosely
4. Ebron/Amaro

My gut says Ebron will be gone but if that's the case I'm perfectly fine with Amaro. That said, I still think Pryor or Dix will be there, especially if there is an early panic run on WRs.

I really like Amaro anyway. He's a lot like Gronkowski except faster and without the mental retardation.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is 29 and in the twilight of his career. The dude was homeless through much of his youth. He went where the money was and I sure as heck would too. If he doesn't have a pro bowl year I don't think it will bother him.

well...that's good for you. More than once in my career I turned down a lot more money than I was making for a number of reasons.

I don't think I'm reaching too far here in thinking JJ may not be the happiest little camper in a few short years....if not sooner. ...but again... I like the guy and hope he kicks azzz.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did. You said "I want a guy who can take a simple slant for 80 yds in a blink of an eye."

Someone replied, "Isn't that Cobb?" and you said "As good as he can be? NO."

Perhaps you have a different definition for "no?" Or perhaps you can clarify rather than tell someone to read your post all over again as if it wasn't read the first time?
I said someone big not small but big. Thank you though have a nice day

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

It also is down the street from his house..

No more moving cross country for his family

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure I'd want Ebron in the first. He's not a good blocker and this team now has Lacy. Why not go for Niklas in the second and use the first rounder on defense? Niklas is HUGE, very fast for his size and probably the best blocker among the TEs in this draft.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said someone big not small but big. Thank you though have a nice day
Once again, there is no reason that Randall Cobb can't be the guy to take a slant route to the house. He's done it on more than one occasion before. But you said no, he can't be that guy because you think "that guy" has to be HUGE for some reason. Usually you want big fast guys on the outside where they can out-jump smaller corners. Not sure why you think your concept of doing the opposite is somehow superior, but okay. Sure there is the occasional exception, but for you to say Cobb can't be "that guy" in light of plenty of evidence otherwise is simply baffling.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there is a very good chance that a WR will be chosen between rounds 2-4.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, there is no reason that Randall Cobb can't be the guy to take a slant route to the house. He's done it on more than one occasion before. But you said no, he can't be that guy because you think "that guy" has to be HUGE for some reason. Usually you want big fast guys on the outside where they can out-jump smaller corners. Not sure why you think your concept of doing the opposite is somehow superior, but okay. Sure there is the occasional exception, but for you to say Cobb can't be "that guy" in light of plenty of evidence otherwise is simply baffling.

Who said anything about putting him in the slot? What's baffling is you not understanding a simple statement .

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
well...that's good for you. More than once in my career I turned down a lot more money than I was making for a number of reasons.

I don't think I'm reaching too far here in thinking JJ may not be the happiest little camper in a few short years....if not sooner. ...but again... I like the guy and hope he kicks azzz.
You turned down more money for a number of reasons? Likely many people have. One thing's sure though: James Jones did not turn down more money and I seriously doubt he will be unhappy in a few short years.
Football is a job, you know, like yours and mine and when it comes down to it, is there anything more important than family????
Didn't think so. He put himself in position to provide for his family. He's got a SB ring. He knew exactly what he was doing and I'm happy for him.
I think you're reaching big time.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said anything about putting him in the slot? What's baffling is you not understanding a simple statement .
I'm still at a loss as to why you think Cobb can't be that run a slant and take it to the house guy. His size and shiftiness is an asset in that role, not a liability. So I guess we're equally baffled. Still not sure why you think a guy has to be HUGE to do that.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You turned down more money for a number of reasons? Likely many people have. One thing's sure though: James Jones did not turn down more money and I seriously doubt he will be unhappy in a few short years.
Football is a job, you know, like yours and mine and when it comes down to it, is there anything more important than family????
Didn't think so. He put himself in position to provide for his family. He's got a SB ring. He knew exactly what he was doing and I'm happy for him.
I think you're reaching big time.

Really? I'm reaching bigtime? Did you happen to see any of those shots of Jennings on the sideline this year? Nah...I don't think it's a reach at all to think these guys could very well wish they stayed with the best QB in football and one of the best franchises. Let's say JJ has a very average to below average year and next year is no better. Do YOU really believe it'll be that easy for him to get over that, at that point in his career? There was pretty much ZERO risk for him having to worry about that sort of thing had he taken less money and stayed in GB.

I'm talking long term career happiness as well as long term stability. It is NOT a reach to suggest the move he made will very likely, at the very least, have him harkening back to the good ole days in GB. ... but I do agree with you that I wish him the best and I don't "blame" him. I would give the guy a standing ovation if I was at a game when they were it town. Jennings...not so much. (for the way he left)

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still at a loss as to why you think Cobb can't be that run a slant and take it to the house guy. His size and shiftiness is an asset in that role, not a liability. So I guess we're equally baffled. Still not sure why you think a guy has to be HUGE to do that.

I would like to see a Huge guy with those attributes for red zone purposes really. Ok forget blazing speed that's a bonus, just give me a big guy with big strong hands who can consistently win jump balls how's that? That's not Cobb.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see a Huge guy with those attributes for red zone purposes really. Ok forget blazing speed that's a bonus, just give me a big guy with big strong hands who can consistently win jump balls how's that? That's not Cobb.
You're right. That's Jordy.

But Cobb is perfectly capable -- nay, suited to doing what you were originally talking about.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. That's Jordy.

But Cobb is perfectly capable -- nay, suited to doing what you were originally talking about.
You two guys need to go have a beer and sort this out face to face!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Back in the 2nd half of 2009, I realize that was a long time ago, this was going to be Finley. Some of the catches he made the 2nd half of that year were just spectacular. TD vs Pitt, and the catch in the playoff game against Arizona at the end of the 1st half come to mind. I really really miss the player he was turning into back then. Just a shame.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in the 2nd half of 2009, I realize that was a long time ago, this was going to be Finley. Some of the catches he made the 2nd half of that year were just spectacular. TD vs Pitt, and the catch in the playoff game against Arizona at the end of the 1st half come to mind. I really really miss the player he was turning into back then. Just a shame.[/quote

Shame is correct. I sure hope Teddy picks up a starting caliber safety via free agency. Many ppl are down on Decoud but I think he needed a change of scenery and can be a solid player in Green Bay. I say this because more and more mock drafts seem to have us taking Ebron that I've seen lately . Id prefer him over Pryor or anyone else if he falls..Only if we have a safety who can be effective.I repeat Only if we have a safety, because if not and Pryor is there we gotta take him IMO. I have a feeling Ebron is going to have the Vernon Davis effect tho. He would beast with in our offense tho . We still need a tightend.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's being reported that James Ihedigbo has received multiple offers and isn't likely to resign with Baltimore. Based on his stats last season he resurrected his career. Is he a guy that could help here? I still can't believe we haven't brought in one safety with as bad as the position was last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's being reported that James Ihedigbo has received multiple offers and isn't likely to resign with Baltimore. Based on his stats last season he resurrected his career. Is he a guy that could help here? I still can't believe we haven't brought in one safety with as bad as the position was last year.

Once again, this depends on if you want Burnett to be your FS as Ihedigbo has primarily played at SS during his career. In addition I´m not sure I want the Packers to bring in a guy that missed a lot of tackles last season although he´s supposed to be a good run stopper.

Members online

Latest posts