Why so many drops?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can the supposed best WR corps in the league have so many drops? Not just yesterday, but it seems like they had lots of drops throughout this season. I don't think I've ever seen so many drops before, by any team.

Could it have anything to do with Edgar Bennett? Why did they promote a former RB to be a WR coach? That move made no sense to me.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our recievers should work with Cris Carter this offseason. He was known for having GREAT hands throughout his career, why not? I wouldn't blame Edgar, our guys get paid as professionals to catch the ball. If they need some tough love from an ex-NFL all pro on receiving, I'm all for it. Just my .02

Reaction score
Our recievers should work with Cris Carter this offseason. He was known for having GREAT hands throughout his career, why not? I wouldn't blame Edgar, our guys get paid as professionals to catch the ball. If they need some tough love from an ex-NFL all pro on receiving, I'm all for it. Just my .02
Cris Carter trained my high school receivers when I was a receiver :) I loved him... Someone was looking at the garbage man and he said something like "that guy won't teach you to be a better receiver. Let's ask him if he had 1100 receptions, 14000 yards and 130 tds."

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
They dude still has it, when ESPN has those specials where he talks to active NFL receivers. He can hold his own, he knows the ins and outs of catching the ball. I'm sure our guys could learn a TON. Yeah, Vikes fans and some Packers fans might complain, but I say it's worth a shot.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well Edgar did a great job with the running backs last year. They hardly ever fumbled, and it was awesome to see a rookie (Starks) do so well.

My question is.. why is going from RBs coach to WRs coach considered a promotion? They'd seem like the same thing to me.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Donald Driver will be furnishing his new family/rec. room with plenty of stuff from Best Buy this week.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only saw two games where drops were a problem. We lost both of them.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, the Giants play off game and the Chiefs game were the only two games where drops were a REAL issue, and we happened to lose both of those contests. As I have said before, I want to like Finley more but he keeps dropping passes. Needs to be fixed or traded. I just hope that this off season we keep Donald, Gregg, James, and Jordy healthy and well coached.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure what to do with Finley. It remains true that he has an amazing skill set. But he's been inconsistent this year and it would be easy to write him off after yesterday and the Chiefs game.

But here's the catch. He's only 24 years old. He's right at that age where guys tend to "get it" and I would certainly hate for him to get it for someone else. Sure, he talks a little, but not in a bigmouth Terrell Owens kind of way. It's more of a naive, immature kind of way. (I actually thought he matured quite a bit over the course of the season.) He's a good kid. I think given his natural talents, you have to keep him around for the next year or two at least because I really believe he'll put it all together. I think I would try to sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal and pay him as a top 5 or 6 TE with escalations built in based on performance. If he doesn't want to do that, Franchise him and if it looks like he's putting it all together next year, maybe spring for that extension that puts him in the top 3 payscale.

I was a little iffy on him last night, but I'm now dead set against just letting him go at this point.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
IDK why drops are a problem at this level. As receiver your job is to catch the ball. It shouldn't even be an issue. Learning your playbook, running cleaner routes, developing chemistry with your QB and the rest of your receivers. Those are things that you should be working on at this level.

It's mostly been Finley and may have something to do with his layoff and lack of OTA's. I wouldn't mind giving him another chance. His size and stature and physical ability alone makes him dangerous. Looking around the league a lot of the successful offenses (Chargers, Saints, Patriots) all have a big receiving tight end and they are a dime a dozen.

I think it would help for us to have a power or at least somewhat effective run game for games like these and in unfavorable weather when catching balls might be an issue.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We dropped 6 passes in the December Giants game. We won but those drops hurt the cause.

The receivers need to spend 24-7 on the jugs machine during the off season.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
lol i'm assuming this is a football machine and not what my brain instinctively pictured it to be.......

Cupping "jugs" are a great way to improve your hands, bro. *wink wink nudge nudge*

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
highly doubt it is the coaches fault for the dropped passes.. Catching a football is all about concentration and skill. You either have it or you dont.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley thinks the drops are a joke, this is what he said on twitter

I hope this guy is not a Packer next year

I don't know. I don't read too much into this. I'm sure he feels a lot of responsibility and it might just be his way of dealing with it.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
finley is a show pony, he is not physical like a top TE needs to be. some of that may be due to his knee injury, i think he is playing a little scared. But he demands double coverage and it helps our other WR...i would give one more shot.

Members online

Latest posts