Why is everyone talking about the wrong penalty?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive been watching all the sports shows talk about the facemask on rodgers, but i dont understand why. This is the wrong missed call to be talking about... how about the blatant helmet to helmet that would have nullified the holding call before that? The facemask was so unimportant because it would have been the cardnials ball anyway. Now im not whining, I know the Defense blew the game for the packers, but i wish the shows would talk about this call being missed more! The facemask was meaningless and wouldnt have changed the outcome.:ranting: am i wrong?

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's being talked about more since it was the last play of the game, pretty simple. I do agree that the Helmet-to-Helmet contact was much more blatant, what are ya gonna do?

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just hate the fact that the facemask is more talked about because it really didnt matter you know... if they are gonna talk about the bad calls talk about the one that wouldve changed the game

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No your not wrong. I'm also getting sick of seeing only the F.M talked about and not the H 2 H here on this and other threads.
I'm glad you started this thread.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No i dont care... it was our defense thats really why we lost, but we should have won that in over time... I dont like people calling packer fans whiners because we are the most loyal fans in football!

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about the H to H non-call but it would not have been Cards' ball since change of possession was not established when the facemask occurred. In other words, the facemask preceeds the change of possession like a roughing the passer play where there's an interception. The penalty wipes out the change of possession.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter though since the NFL VP of Officiating is still saying it wasn't a facemask and not answering questions re. the H 2 H non-call - CYA.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh i didnt know that... but everyone on espn was saying it would have been cards ball and they were all agreeing.

Go to the thread I started about the Face mask non-call. A retired ref talks about that specific non-call and says what should have happened instead of what did.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya he said it wasnt a facemask and that there was no twisting which there was... but still like i said not the call i care about lol

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter though since the NFL VP of Officiating is still saying it wasn't a facemask and not answering questions re. the H 2 H non-call - CYA.

I read what he said. He said it was incidental contact of the facemask. Even if it is incidental, isn't it still a penalty? I'm confused about this.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya he said it wasnt a facemask and that there was no twisting which there was... but still like i said not the call i care about lol

If you're talking about the article I linked to in the thread I started. I was referring to as why it was an important non-call. He said that had the face mask penalty been enforced, we would've had possession of the ball still since when the face mask occurred, Dansby didn't pick up the ball yet. The Change of possession didn't switch over. That's why this is being talked about more too.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember about 2 years ago or so we had the 5 or 15 yard face mask penalty rule. Seems like incidental was just a 5 yard penalty and a blatant face mask was 15. Am I confusing "incidental" with a different word?

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They got rid of the incidental contact rule and it's 15 yards or nothing. Still, it should have been a blow to the head.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh alright, didn't know they got rid of the incidental contact rule. Thought that was still in place.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the OP in this thread, the H-2-H was the more blatant call that was missed and those are being missed on QBs that haven't exactly established themselves in the NFL as a star just yet. . .which is complete and utter BS in my eyes. It seems players such as Brady, Favre, Manning, Brees etc. . .they get all the calls whereas new comers such as Rodgers seemed to be over looked, maybe next year he'll gain more respect but I doubt it until we go deep into the playoffs and his stats stay up where they are.

As per the FM being incidental, we all know that is sort of a lame excuse to say it was a judgement call. It's obvious his helmet is turned and pulled down. It was simply missed or not called because of the time of the game being so crucial, I feel refs don't want to 'call the game' with a penalty but you have rules and no matter what time is left in regulation you have to make the proper calls.

Oh well, not much we can do now. . .except gripe and ask our defense not to give up 51 and expect the offense to win. Looking forward to next season with our young lineup!

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The picture of AR's facemask was voted ESPN's image of the week in a landslide. This is not just Packer nation whining, it's an injustice. Give me full time refs PLEASE.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never quite understood the concept of whining. What, exactly, is the purpose it serves? The outcome isn't gonna change by complaining about specific non-calls throughout the course of any particular game. The only purpose I believe it serves is to mask the real issue.

I think you guys should focus your attention on why a #2 ranked NFL defense surrendered 51 points last Sunday.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you guys should focus your attention on why a #2 ranked NFL defense surrendered 51 points last Sunday.

I think you should focus your attention on not being such an ***-hat and go find a Vikings blog to post to. No one here likes you so go away. Don't go away mad. Just go away.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you should focus your attention on not being such an ***-hat and go find a Vikings blog to post to. No one here likes you so go away. Don't go away mad. Just go away.

Good Lord - where do you whiners all come from? Is Wisconsin chock full of 'em? And, how about an answer to my question? Just because you don't like it and don't care to face the music doesn't mean it isn't a very, very important question.

Look - Green Bay's defense choked yet again and there's no amount of blaming the officials that's ever gonna change that fact. Change comes from action - not from whining.

Members online

Latest posts