1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Why didn't we trade for Marshawn Lynch again?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Rodgers2Finley4TDs, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +190
    I still can't be too angry about not trading a 3rd for Lynch. Sure, NOW we can look at it and ask, "Who would you rather have, Green or Lynch?" and it's a pretty easy solution, but we didn't know who that 3rd was we declined the trade.

A second, bigger question: Who would you rather pay? Lynch's 7.5 million per year or Green's 0.63 million per year?

Would we be better with Lynch? Yes. Could we afford to have resigned him this last off-season? We're probably going to lose Jennings because we can't afford him and the really important guys (Rodgers and Matthews). Who would we have to let go because we got Lynch?

• Like Like x 1
  2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I don't worry about the finances.
    Ted has a way of working those things out okay.

We even had money to pay Driver this year, and he's just a cheerleader.

3. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,854
    It is real easy to 2nd guess TT after the fact.

Marshawn had a history of suspicious behavior; weapons charges; a suspension; and an issue with an abandoned vehicle: there was reasonable character doubts and year long suspension possibilities.

Perhaps he has turned his life around, just hasn't gotten caught, or takes more precautions, I don't know. But things could have turned out much differently - he could have had another DUI and been out of the league.

In hind sight, yes! I would love to have Lynch on the Packers. But, I don't fault TT in not pulling that trigger. If we could do hindsite, we should have traded Favre to the Vikes for the right to draft Peterson. We may have a few more Lombardis in the case.

But then again, we did win one Superbowl and that is no easy task. Maybe with Lynch we don't develop/get Starks. Maybe we don't win that one. In 2nd Hind Sight - I still don't sign Lynch and am proud and accept our Lombardi.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,113
    But Thompson has to.
    So do you expect him to be able to extend Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, Jennings, and Finley? Or are at least one of those contracts not likely to work out OK?
    Like every other human, Thompson makes mistakes and keeping Driver this season turned out to be a $2.3M mistake. At least there aren't any cap consequences for the 2013 cap year.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Regarding Lynch: If only the Packers had won Super Bowl XLV, we wouldn't have to re- re- rehash this. ... Oh wait.

Seriously at the time I advocated the Packers signing the veteran RB they had rated the best among those available. Starks had been hurt for almost all of his senior year in college plus most of the 2010 season and I didn't think they should count on him for the late season push to the playoffs and then for the playoff run. I was wrong: The Packers won it all with Starks at RB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    I know Lynch is a good RB but we Younger RB IMO.

6. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    To be honest, I wish you had. That dude is a monster in the NFC West. :(

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    /sigh How many times are we going to keep having this exact discussion? We didn't sign Lynch. We also won the Super Bowl, without Lynch. Also, we wouldn't have been able to afford the new deal he signed for without having to mortgage someone else.

Can we move on now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. burt packerack

burt packerack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    dear god. this goes along with the Chris Johnson for Finley trade thread. Just let these threads die.

9. Trapped In Vikingville

Trapped In Vikingville Trapped

Ratings:
    +156
    Bury this stupid thread. How long do you want to beat his dead horse?

10. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Can we get this thread locked maybe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.