Why did YOU want Wolf

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why did he have a higher potential? We literally know nothing about him. I suspect he'll leave for the Browns simply because he needs more experience before he gets the big gig.

Experience may not always be better. Going strictly by Wolf's track record and that he was considered in contention y Lions, 49ers and Packers, I tend to believe he was as talented as Gutekunst with probably bring an injection of youth and related change. It's just an expectation.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of the points being made aren't based on anything other then "it's just what I think he would be like"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Experience may not always be better. Going strictly by Wolf's track record and that he was considered in contention y Lions, 49ers and Packers, I tend to believe he was as talented as Gutekunst with probably bring an injection of youth and related change. It's just an expectation.
In my experience it usually is :) About all we know it these 2 have followed a similar path and there's been interest around the league in both of them. I think Wolf has been the more popular choice among fans simply because of his name. If it weren't for that we'd probably barely hear it. I think the interest in Gutekunst has been more in the past 2 seasons, at least more genuine in that a hire could actually happen

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just unwarranted speculation and probably an accusation of entire Packer organization including Ted and Murphy. He's clearly talented going by quick promotions and has wider interest from around the league too. And going by the fact that he was the only one of the trio was wasn't promoted, we can be sure there was no nepotism involved!

You sure?

I just wanted Eliot because imo he had a higher potential/ceiling and a cleaner break away from TT era.
Why? What exactly do you know about both of them that tells you this?

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my experience it usually is :) About all we know it these 2 have followed a similar path and there's been interest around the league in both of them. I think Wolf has been the more popular choice among fans simply because of his name. If it weren't for that we'd probably barely hear it. I think the interest in Gutekunst has been more in the past 2 seasons, at least more genuine in that a hire could actually happen
Let's throw last names out of the window. BG = Thing 1 and EW = Thing 2. Precisely what is it about Thing 2 that would have made him a better choice than Thing 1? I'm now hearing that Thing 1 is too experienced. Sorry, I'm not posing this question to you, Mondio. More as an addendum to what you said.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst isn't old. And he was considered for the Texans, Bills, 49ers and Packers. IIRC he has actually been looked at MORE than Wolf by other teams. The Texans aren't even interviewing him for their opening. Wolf is interviewing with Cleveland and not as general manager. So interest from around the league does NOT favor Wolf over Gutekunst if that's the argument you were trying make.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This discussion is actually very informative when you look at this (or any ) forum in general. It is no wonder people think they know everything that needs to be known about the players and coaches. At least with the players and prominent coaches we get to watch them on TV, weigh their stats etc.... before making a ridiculously uninformed opinion about them. But now, we are talking about front office staff which we know almost nothing and yet we have posters in here making completely uninformed opinions about them based on ....??????

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't have to read them.
Other than being contrary... what exactly is your point? It's not about whether I have to read something. I am making a statement about the logic of many posters in here. If you are defending their right to be illogical... nobody is disputing that... but if you think it's not ok to challenge their statements ... I wonder about your hypocrisy in challenging mine.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least with the players and prominent coaches we get to watch them on TV, weigh their stats etc.... before making a ridiculously uninformed opinion about them.

A GM role is not really quantifiable in stats, so not sure what kind of "informed opinions" you are expecting in these threads. It's just speculation, perceptions and expectations....not really new in forums, tbh!

Unless you are of the view that front office discussions should be disallowed in the forum.... :whistling:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of these guys were together at one point. he has an offer to stay in GB too. I imagine he'll move on, but it's not like he's getting a GM job somewhere right now. As far as I can tell he's had no interviews other than in GB for one this year and he's not getting one in Cleveland, Seattle or with da Raiders. Probably just moving into a similar role as to what he has now in GB

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A GM role is not really quantifiable in stats, so not sure what kind of "informed opinions" you are expecting in these threads. It's just speculation, perceptions and expectations....not really new in forums, tbh!

Unless you are of the view that front office discussions should be disallowed in the forum.... :whistling:
No, but when people pretend to know more than they possibly can, those people shouldn't get upset when their lack of knowledge is pointed out.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for making my point. Of course the discussions should not be disallowed, but that does not mean that completely unsubstantiated claims should not be challenged.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to Oakland or Cleveland, him going to one of those was pretty much a forgone conclusion for me

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What additional responsibilities will he have in Cleveland that he won't have here?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What additional responsibilities will he have in Cleveland that he won't have here?
I'm guessing anywhere he goes it's going to be similar to what he has here. Which leads me to believe GB made a good choice in Gute. with recent interviews in the past couple seasons maybe teams figured out Wolf doesn't have it, or needs more seasoning until he's ready, because interest outside of GB seems to have cooled when it comes to GM considerations.

That's not to say he doesn't provide a lot of value. I think his name opened doors to start, but he didn't get to where he's at because he's Ron's kid either. I'm sure he works hard and brings a lot to the table which is why others familiar with him are wanting to bring him on board. For him, it's an opportunity to see things from another organizational standpoint if he does leave (which I think he does). It will only move him further along in his career for the future. My speculation is, he's not ready, and staying with GB won't give other teams the impression that he's getting more ready just staying steady. Stepping out and doing similar things outside of the current framework will help him grow. Even if he is doing the same sorts of things.

Members online

Latest posts