Why did YOU want Wolf

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok,

So a few posters have said they wanted Wolf.. Let's hear your reasons why..

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he seems like he's further away from Ted Thompson while guntekunst and ball were TT right hand men. I hope guntekunst isn't just more of the same

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't know I wanted Wolf, GoodArt or the paper pusher.... Didn't know enough about any of them. Didn't want the paper pusher because I just think that position SHOULD be a personnel guy. Afterall, the Packers' commodity is players.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. He has most likely received guidance from his father Ron Wolf that no other candidate could possibly match. I would also think he has a much wider net of connections as far as hiring his scouting staff because of Ron and the massive amount of people under his GM tree.
2. He has been around under both Ron Wolf and TT. Gutekunst has as well and I like that about him. Ball is strictly a TT guy and I don't like that.
3. He has the john schneider "rock star" potential
4. He will speak to the media
5. He was given 3 different promotions after interviewing with other teams. They really wanted to keep him which made me believe he was being groomed to replace TT.

I think he and Gutekunst are pretty similar and I was cool with either of them getting it. It would be great if we knew who was responsible for what the last few years. Who supported letting Hyde walk and who wanted him. Who pinched pennies on Cook and who the hell thought Marty Bennett was a good idea. Who supported keeping hundley over getting a veteran qb. These are all on tt but those guys had to have strong opinions and or influence on all those decisions.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he seems like he's further away from Ted Thompson while guntekunst and ball were TT right hand men. I hope guntekunst isn't just more of the same

One question. Why? What kind of inside information do you possess to believe that's the case? (Ok that's 2 questions)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question. Why? What kind of inside information do you possess to believe that's the case? (Ok that's 2 questions)

I said seems, that implies I don't have any information and I'm guessing. But now that I have read gunt was hired by Ron wolf not TT I'm thinking maybe elloit wolf stays on and we do have a more wolf like gm. Would TT have ever traded for Brett favre? Absolutely not so I guess that sums it up best

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said seems, that implies I don't have any information and I'm guessing. But now that I have read gunt was hired by Ron wolf not TT I'm thinking maybe elloit wolf stays on and we do have a more wolf like gm. Would TT have ever traded for Brett favre? Absolutely not so I guess that sums it up best
How do you know? The times were so different. Daddy Wolf is in the record as saying when he had to go ask if they could afford a player rather than just ask himself if they could use him, he knew it was time to get out.

And regardless, he didn't have to trade for Favre, he drafted Rodgers. TT also worked with daddy Wolf. TT could have let Wolf, Gute or any others go if he didn't think they provided value to their team.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he wouldn't even give up a 3rd round pick for marshawn lynch(2010) or Randy moss(2007) nor a 2nd for Tony Gonzalez(2008). You think he would of traded a first round pick for favre? Those we're all no brainer trades for future Hof players but TT was afraid he couldn't afford them, afraid to take the risk. Moss went on to have perhaps the best season of any receiver all time with 98 catches 1493 yards and 23 touchdowns in 2007. Gonzalez posted an average of 81 catches 10.2 yards per catch and 7 touchdowns a season over 5 more with the falcons. And lynch put up 6347 yards rushing and 65 total tds over almost exactly 5 full seasons in Seattle. In the 4 full seasons he played in Seattle from 2011-2014 he averaged 1339 yards and 12 rushing tds a season.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because he wouldn't even give up a 3rd round pick for marshawn lynch(2010) or Randy moss(2007) nor a 2nd for Tony Gonzalez(2008). You think he would of traded a first round pick for favre? Those we're all no brainer trades for future Hof players but TT was afraid he couldn't afford them, afraid to take the risk. Moss went on to have perhaps the best season of any receiver all time with 98 catches 1493 yards and 23 touchdowns in 2007. Gonzalez posted an average of 81 catches 10.2 yards per catch and 7 touchdowns a season over 5 more with the falcons. And lynch put up 6347 yards rushing and 65 total tds over almost exactly 5 full seasons in Seattle. In the 4 full seasons he played in Seattle from 2011-2014 he averaged 1339 yards and 12 rushing tds a season.
So, Wolf wouldn't do that?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

None of those were no brainers

Moss: had turned into a malcontent in Oakland and was thought to have hit the downslope of his career. This is pretty much the exact opposite of what a no brainer is

Gonzalez: While he ended up producing for a while after he was dealt trading a 2nd round pick for a TE who was on the wrong side of 30 isn't a no brainer.

Lynch: TT did make an offer for Lynch he simply got outbid. And oh yeah we also won the SB that year where as there is no guarantee we win that year if we trade for Lynch with the butterfly effect and all. Still though. I'll agree it would of been nice to get him. Not a no brainer though.

Maybe we have very different definitions of the phrase

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet wolf would of made at least 2 of those 3 trades. He would have done the moss one because he regretted not drafting moss in the first round and he would of done the lynch one because it was a bargain for a really talented player with character concerns who his star qb went to college with and was vouching for at the time. And as for Gonzalez he traded a 2nd round pick for a near retirement Keith Jackson who publicly stated he wasn't going to come to Green bay. Wolf traded for him anyway knowing the risk and the value of a great te outweighed the value and risk of a late 2nd round pick. The Packers likely don't win the superbowl without Jackson

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He maybe would have. It was easier to cover mistakes with FA. Once you had to fit them all under the cap draft picks became more valuable because you had to maintain a good part of your roster thru the draft so you could pay your proven performers.

But like I said, different times. things changed when the money you spent could hurt you more than an under performing player

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted Wolf but was completely okay if we promoted Gutekenst (or somehow courted Schneider or Mckenzie).

All of those candidates I feel can bring a fresh perspective to modern day football that you would be hard-pressed to find with most typical GM's and GM candidates, Wolf especially. The league continues to get younger and players are retiring earlier than ever...we need someone young who can relate to this reality and be creative with drafting, free agency, and contracts. Also someone who realizes it should be Super Bowl every year or everyone will be on the line to be held accountable for not attaining that goal...Wolf presented himself as that type of person.

Although Gutekunst and Wolf are similar in those regards, my only hesitation is that Gutekunst will give everyone a slightly longer leash and be a bit more conservative. That would be ideal if we were in a rebuilding mode and had a rookie/young QB and coaching staff, but the current state of the team is the exact opposite. We need someone who demands results NOW and will do whatever it takes to ensure Rodgers ends his career with multiple rings. I'm not fully convinced Gutekunst will do that but I will keep an open mind.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't want Wolf. Gutekunst was my preference from Day 1. When I think of Eliot Wolf, the image of his dad comes to mind. It makes me wonder if there is an air of nepotism surrounding him and would he really be getting the attention he's getting if he wasn't Ron's boy? I don't know, but the question would always be there. Obviously, athletic ability is inherited to a great degree from generation to generation, but can the same be said of scouting ability and the ability to run a franchise? So I'm not about to consider his last name in any regard. Gutekunst has several more years of experience in NFL scouting and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a 35 year old GM. Life experience matters and I think BG's additional 9 years could make an appreciable difference. It almost feels as though if they had gone with Wolf he may have been looked at as the "anointed one."

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know? The times were so different. Daddy Wolf is in the record as saying when he had to go ask if they could afford a player rather than just ask himself if they could use him, he knew it was time to get out.

And regardless, he didn't have to trade for Favre, he drafted Rodgers. TT also worked with daddy Wolf. TT could have let Wolf, Gute or any others go if he didn't think they provided value to their team.
sounds like Ron needed Russ Ball negotiating those contracts back then.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of those were no brainers

Moss: had turned into a malcontent in Oakland and was thought to have hit the downslope of his career. This is pretty much the exact opposite of what a no brainer is

Gonzalez: While he ended up producing for a while after he was dealt trading a 2nd round pick for a TE who was on the wrong side of 30 isn't a no brainer.

Lynch: TT did make an offer for Lynch he simply got outbid. And oh yeah we also won the SB that year where as there is no guarantee we win that year if we trade for Lynch with the butterfly effect and all. Still though. I'll agree it would of been nice to get him. Not a no brainer though.

Maybe we have very different definitions of the phrase
Add a few things:

Moss: TT had a trade in place. The Packers front office went to bed that night thinking it was a done deal. Only after waking the next morning did they find out they pulled the trigger on a better deal from NE. So should TT have called Oakland and said, "I know you accepted our offer of a 3rd, but would you be willing to take a 2nd?" Also, i was against Moss. He was jogging his routes if he had a pattern in the dirt portion of the field. Not a good team mate and that' why Belicheck dumped him.

Lynch was on strike 2 and ready for a year suspension. To my memory, he was in a fender bender and fled the scene. Probably intoxicated but he avoided the suspension. Thought there was a high likeihood he was going to mess up again and be out of football.

Both these guys were huge risks.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cause his last name is Wolf and his daddy is Ron and that's all there is to it. He's got to be good based on those two things alone.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't want Wolf. Gutekunst was my preference from Day 1. When I think of Eliot Wolf, the image of his dad comes to mind. It makes me wonder if there is an air of nepotism surrounding him and would he really be getting the attention he's getting if he wasn't Ron's boy?

This is just unwarranted speculation and probably an accusation of entire Packer organization including Ted and Murphy. He's clearly talented going by quick promotions and has wider interest from around the league too. And going by the fact that he was the only one of the trio was wasn't promoted, we can be sure there was no nepotism involved!

I just wanted Eliot because imo he had a higher potential/ceiling and a cleaner break away from TT era.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why did he have a higher potential? We literally know nothing about him. I suspect he'll leave for the Browns simply because he needs more experience before he gets the big gig.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
why did he have a higher potential? We literally know nothing about him. I suspect he'll leave for the Browns simply because he needs more experience before he gets the big gig.

And probably, like any normal human, he doesn't want to go work every day for the organization that blocked him from jobs and then passed him over. That's totally reasonable, and doesn't necessarily mean the Packers made the wrong choice.

By all accounts, GB had three good internal options in Gutekunst, Wolf, and Ball. That's what you read, anyway. They're keeping two out of the three. For now, that looks like a win.

Members online

Latest posts