Why did YOU want Wolf

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Wolf and TT leaving at the same time, we won' know which one was to blame for the bad player drafted.

Hate to see him go, but it is for the best.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's playing the odds. He knows the browns will probably be looking for another gm before the packers will.
Plus look at the situations. Around here everyone gives all things good to Aaron Rodgers. Despite all the other good players, he's all we have. According to some. He'll be in his dad's shadow here and have monumental expectations even as an assistant.

In Cleveland they have zero expectations, he can build from the ground up wth that team and get credit for a lot of it and build his resume

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What additional responsibilities will he have in Cleveland that he won't have here?
Responsibility is probably similar. Maybe all those player reports will be read and acted upon instead of read and filed. What Cleveland does offer is 2 top 4 picks and 4 of the top 35. Also $100m cap space that can be spent and the opportunity to turn a perennial rebuilding team into a dynasty. Those opportunities do not exist in GB which is in a tweak the roster and maintain mode.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I didn't really want Wolfe or anyone from within the organization for that matter. I wanted to see an overhaul. I'm tired of what appears to me as the "well the playoffs are good enough to keep selling tickets" mentality that I perceive. I wanted someone who would come in and kick butt and take names. Jettison all who are not "really on board" and get only guys who are "Super Bowl or bust" mentality. I read something like this in "The Packer Way" by Ron Wolf himself.

D

Deleted member 6794

What additional responsibilities will he have in Cleveland that he won't have here?

The Browns named Wolf tgeir assistant general manager. I don't know if that results in additional responsibilites compared to his job in Green Bay.

I didn't really want Wolfe or anyone from within the organization for that matter. I wanted to see an overhaul. I'm tired of what appears to me as the "well the playoffs are good enough to keep selling tickets" mentality that I perceive. I wanted someone who would come in and kick butt and take names. Jettison all who are not "really on board" and get only guys who are "Super Bowl or bust" mentality. I read something like this in "The Packer Way" by Ron Wolf himself.

I don't have the impression that Murphy or Gutekunst are fine with just making the playoffs.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't have the impression that Murphy or Gutekunst are fine with just making the playoffs.

You are probably right, but I guess I'm concerned that they may have unwittingly gotten into the organizational comfortability cycle. That is, that everything has been done a certain way so long that it is comfortable to continue doing so without noticing the long term effects. (This happens easily in many organizations.) I keep going back to Wolf's book "The Packer Way". He came in to the organization determined to make folks uncomfortable and get everyone on board with his direction. That is, he wanted 100% buy-in to his philosophy of increasing expectations of excellence or they were shown the door.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A number of reports have ID'd Wolfe as the heir apparent, the future and a chip off the old block for some years now. I recall atleast one that talked about his incredible scouting knowledge and how he practically grew up watching tape and players with his Dad. For a long time it seemed like he was being groomed as the GM of the future, but I suspect that Thompson retired a couple years earlier than expected.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah they probably would make the playoffs next year without changing anything. Firing Capers and shaking up the Front Office is about returning some urgency to this franchise.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Responsibility is probably similar. Maybe all those player reports will be read and acted upon instead of read and filed. What Cleveland does offer is 2 top 4 picks and 4 of the top 35. Also $100m cap space that can be spent and the opportunity to turn a perennial rebuilding team into a dynasty. Those opportunities do not exist in GB which is in a tweak the roster and maintain mode.
Who would not want to be part of the Brown’s draft arsenal? All kinds of options and possibilities with that motherlode of picks to build a championship in 3 or 4 years.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not
Who would not want to be part of the Brown’s draft arsenal? All kinds of options and possibilities with that motherlode of picks to build a championship in 3 or 4 years.
Not to mention a roster with a few very talented players already in place. Myles Garrett, Joe Thomas (for another season or 2), Gordon, and a few other recent high picks that were interestingly talented prospects. May just need a good coach, a few more pieces, and a general attitude shift to put it all together.

They already have a good OL. If they come away with Barkley and a talented QB, their offense could be effective immediately and dangerous in a year or two.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts