Who's the most the blame for our failings?

Who's the most to blame?

• Dom Capers (due to broken defensive plan)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Mike McCarthy (due to inefficient offensive plan)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Ted Thompson (for his ineffective upgradation of players)

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dom Capers and his inability to field a proper defence.
Mike McCarthy and his inability to get the best of our offence.
TT and his philosophy throttling the development of the team.

I understand they all are related, but if you could pick one of the Dom (Defence) Mike (Offence) or Ted (players), who shared the most of the blame.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The easist thing in the world is to find fault and lay blame.

Nothing is ever totally clear cut. I'd blame Father Time and 2nd Cousin Injury.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thompson's failing health, people's failure to bring it to murphy's attention until it was too late, poor drafts during that period, cap trouble, all the key members of the team getting old at the same time, coaching issues, poor play, injuries...more.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It starts from the top up.

Murphy for being far too laxed.

Thompson for being so damn stubborn with is freaking draft and develop philosophy when we should've dipped into FA more and not trading players sooner. (Looks at Clay Matthews)

McCarthy's stagnant play calling and inability to adapt to the opposing defensive side.

Dom Capers' inability to adapt to defensively.

Coaching and conditioning: Injuries

The players playing soft and not wrapping up when tackling.

How many times have the defensive side blew games because they blew assignments, couldn't stop opponents on a crucial 3rd down, or poor tackling?

I'm looking at the poll can we say all the above?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It starts from the top up.

Murphy for being far too laxed...
until recently murphy kinda played the roll of a traditional owner focusing in the business side of the team as presidents that preceded him did. there's been no need to helicopter the football operation. i give him a pass on this. once he realized the problem (2017) things started to change. he and ball handled the adams extension late 2017.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Do7's "top down" philosophy, so I'll pick Ted. If he had maybe upgraded a few spots here and there instead of relying on rookies or ineffective UFDAs, we might have another championship or two. That would have made these down times much more palatable. Instead we're looking back on what seems like missed opportunities with Rodgers in his prime.

Capers defense would seem to be next, but again, top down. I'll hold McCarthy responsible for keeping Capers around too long (although that isn't a poll choice). McCarthy also seemed to lose effectiveness as a coach his last several years, for whatever reason. Maybe he just got too complacent, although the talent didn't seem to be there either.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It disgusts me how much this organization over relied on Rodgers masking so many weaknesses for this team, as well as their incompetence. In any other organization they would've been gone years ago, but NOPE! Rodgers was the ultimate shield, and now it's to the point where the cracks in the armor are becoming more visible, and ultimately it may be a little too late to fix things.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Mark Murphy, for not being the adult in the room and demoting TT when he started to decline cognitavely.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It disgusts me how much this organization over relied on Rodgers masking so many weaknesses for this team, as well as their incompetence. In any other organization they would've been gone years ago, but NOPE! Rodgers was the ultimate shield, and now it's to the point where the cracks in the armor are becoming more visible, and ultimately it may be a little too late to fix things.
I hope not, but it may be.
To be fair, I'm not sure anyone realized just how weak the team was until Rodgers started to get hurt. Although it was fairly clear it needed more (which Ted wasn't giving it) to get over the top.

D

Deleted member 6794

until recently murphy kinda played the roll of a traditional owner focusing in the business side of the team as presidents that preceded him did. there's been no need to helicopter the football operation. i give him a pass on this. once he realized the problem (2017) things started to change. he and ball handled the adams extension late 2017.

Actually I don't think Murphy being more involved in football decisions is a good thing.

To be fair, I'm not sure anyone realized just how weak the team was until Rodgers started to get hurt. Although it was fairly clear it needed more (which Ted wasn't giving it) to get over the top.

There were several posters around this forum who realized the team lacked overall talent long before the front office seemed to figure it out.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM. The buck stops with him. I just do not think they were a well coached team and I am looking forward to a new guard. Hopefully LaFleur will be able to keep an eye on everything and not just an offensive scheme. I'm not saying to control everything. Just know when something is not working well. And then do something about it.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yup. Rodgers put so many blinders on the masses and the people in charge starting back in like 2013 when he went down. When you look back at the drafts from like 2007 to 2012/2013. TT hit on a lot of people, and much like MM got near the end, I think TT just assumed he was going to keep on hitting jackpots. Then slowly he was only hitting on the first and second, or whiffing completely in 2015.

Since Rodgers went down in 2013, it was a steady decline on what was going on with this team and few saw the writing on the wall. Thought he was going to make everyone better and pull rabbits out any chance he got. Almost like he expected some players to never get old and slow down, and whoever was drafted was going to turn into a star.

So I blame TT and his bosses for not keeping the pedal to the metal. After the 2015 they should have started making changes...2016 should have been a clear sign to everyone.

I think this team is a year behind schedule right now and I hope this year with a lot of 2nd year players back and new free agents they can make up that ground. Last year should have never gotten as bad as it got.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the young pups (gute and wolf) in personnel under thompson either didn't notice, or weren't in a position to challenge him, when he started losing it in 2015 and in 2016. he was ted thompson after all and...ball was there. that all changed in 2017. someone (perhaps rob demovsky) needs to write a book. "the lost years at 1265" lol

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dom Capers and his inability to field a proper defence.
Mike McCarthy and his inability to get the best of our offence.
TT and his philosophy throttling the development of the team.

I understand they all are related, but if you could pick one of the Dom (Defence) Mike (Offence) or Ted (players), who shared the most of the blame.

Blame is easy.

And as for blaming those who are no longer part of the organization, blame is also pointless.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were several posters around this forum who realized the team lacked overall talent long before the front office seemed to figure it out.
Lacking overall talent is one thing. "Wow, they really stink" is another. Even McCarthy appeared to overestimate how good Hundley was.

And as for blaming those who are no longer part of the organization, blame is also pointless.
Not entirely. Blame creates conversation, which creates traffic, which puts more money in Shaggy's pocket :)
And what's good for Shaggy, is good for the forum.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im surprised no one voted for Dom. He has been more to blame than MM when it comes to the performance of the roster imo. You could argue that it was MMs mistake since he never fired him though

H

HardRightEdge

You should have specified when. Capers has no votes because evidently the default assumption among voters is "last year".

D

Deleted member 6794

i hear ya. he's been fine so far i think and he's already said it's all in gute's hands now. he's going back to his "owners" role. he just won't turn his back on it, the football side, like he did before.

As far as I know Murphy is still in charge of football decisions as well.

Blame is easy.

While it might be pointless it can't be ignored as those guys are responsible for the Packers not being a legit contender at the moment.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it might be pointless it can't be ignored as those guys are responsible for the Packers not being a legit contender at the moment.

Odd. You just conceded it was pointless and insisted it could not be ignored in the same breath.

:D

Members online

Latest posts