Who is your favorite Packers WR and why?

ClemsonFan

New Era Packers Fan
Reaction score
I have a question for you all. Who is your favorite current Packers reciever and why? Mine is Jordy Nelson because he grew up in a rural area like me, and he is one of the most underrated WR's in the league.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver. Self explanatory.

i would say the same, except he probably doesn't count as a "current" packers wr.

as of on the roster now, james jones. after seeing him for a live taping of the mike mccarthey show, and the several times he stopped to autograph stuff for us over the years ...he just seems to have a very down-to-earth attitude. he is also really developing well on the field, he is doing some great stuff. the guy has heart!

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to see somebody saying James Jones. Nelson (my favorite) and Cobb will get plenty of love no doubt, for some unfortunate reason Jones seems to fly under the radar in the favorite department.

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of love for James Jones on here, I got to agree, great year last year and he seems like a top man.

Pleased we retained him when he tested free agency a few years back.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall.

But it's a plus that I'm finally over screaming "DON'T DROP IT!!!!!" towards the TV when a pass goes Jones' way... We're making progress fellas!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Nelson : because he is STILL underrated by most DB's and will continue to murder the secondary this season. All hail Jordy !!!! And I think we all know the reason he is underestimated by most defenses......but I wont dare mention why that is....Lord knows I will get some sort of warning through a personal message from admin.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson : because he is STILL underrated by most DB's and will continue to murder the secondary this season. All hail Jordy !!!! And I think we all know the reason he is underestimated by most defenses......but I wont dare mention why that is....Lord knows I will get some sort of warning through a personal message from admin.

uh oh, do not even bring up the fact it's becasue he's from Kansas ;)

H

HardRightEdge

And I think we all know the reason he is underestimated by most defenses......but I wont dare mention why that is....Lord knows I will get some sort of warning through a personal message from admin.

At this juncture, I doubt that's the case. The number of deep balls he hauled in in 2011 is chronicled on tape. Opponents went to cover 2 against us for good reasons...Nelson being one of them. It will be interesting to see how he does going against #1 CBs with healthy legs.

I think it is fair to say opponents know he's not in Kansas anymore.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is fair to say opponents know he's not in Kansas anymore.
True, but he can't reverse Michael Jackson!

Favorite WR is probably Jones as well. He's a great guy but you can really say that about all of our top wide receivers. Isn't THAT a rarity in the NFL these days. I like how he's always had the skill to catch tough balls, but like many of us, and flaws in his game (catching easy passes), and has worked hard to correct that flaw. It shows character, perseverance, and a few other intangibles.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My favorite Packers WR is the one with the ball about to enter the end zone. Why? :D

M

mayo44

It's not racist to simply make note that a guy happens to be Caucasian, and yes, Caucasian WRs have historically been underestimated in the last 30 years, rarely drawing double-teams regardless of how talented they are. It's a simple statement of fact that makes no attempt to explain why that might be.

H

HardRightEdge

It's not racist to simply make note that a guy happens to be Caucasian, and yes, Caucasian WRs have historically been underestimated in the last 30 years, rarely drawing double-teams regardless of how talented they are. It's a simple statement of fact that makes no attempt to explain why that might be.

So, would it be racist if it was stated as fact but not entirely true? I go back to the fact that teams hit us with cover 2 last year after Nelson's 2011 stat fest where he punished single coverage from #2 corners? If opponents persisted in 2012 with what failed in 2011, one might think to explore the reasons why. They didn't.

It's not like Nelson was burning up the track prior 2011 thus justifying any major opponent adjustments prior to that season. He was an undistinguished part time player; you might say an underachiever for a high second round pick. Defense is, as Mr. Lombardi noted, reactive. With no preseason, the D's across the league were behind the preparation 8 ball from the start and never caught up. Suddenly waking up to a guy having a breakout season was more problematic than usual.

In 2011, teams underestimated Victor Cruz, a UFA coming out of an an entirely anonymous rookie season. They didn't start to catch up to him until 2012. Was that because he was from Patterson, NJ?

The point being, into 2011 it would have been fair to estimate Nelson in the way he was estimated, not because he was white but because he was undistinguished. If opponents persisted in 2012 in failing to account for what Nelson did well in 2011, there might be a discussion about whether that might be racist or mere incompetence.

I don't see the case, regardless of what Jordy or ESPN talking heads might have said about it. Somebody should ask Jordy what he thinks now about this matter in light of 2012. I think he might view the matter differently.

Any inclination by a DB who doesn't like tape and plays on instinct to think "oh, that's some slow white guy" would be disabused of that perception on Nelson's first route down field. Persisting in such biases could cost a job or even the paycheck. Even unstudious DBs have an appreciation for the fact burns cost money.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are people arguing that nfl coaches coach based on race at this time in the league? That capers or another D cord would not take a WR seriously bc of his race sounds like a big stretch

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not racist to simply make note that a guy happens to be Caucasian, and yes, Caucasian WRs have historically been underestimated in the last 30 years, rarely drawing double-teams regardless of how talented they are.
I was ok with this up to the first comma. The remainder was rather revealing when the entire sentence is digested altogether.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are people arguing that nfl coaches coach based on race at this time in the league? That capers or another D cord would not take a WR seriously bc of his race sounds like a big stretch
I would totally agree. Most coaches are pretty color-blind. Players don't necessarily follow that example but, if there are prejudiced players in the league one way or the other, I'm happy that they keep their mouths shut.