Who Cares What Our Defense Is Ranked

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen I'm not trying to bash the team, but really I think people are putting off some defensive woes we have right now that are going to hurt us down the road if they don't get corrected.

I agree, and if anything is going to prevent this team from repeating, it's going to be the pass defense. There are no magic wands that will fix it, unless we can find another Nick Collins or Mike Neal is the next Cullen Jenkins, this defense is going to continue it's woes in the passing game. Williams injury and Sheild's sub-par play at times have really hurt.

regardless of the outcome of the season, there are a couple areas I would really like to seem them address with high picks, CB/Safety or DLine/ROLB.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Did I miss something today? You guys held the Rams to 3 points. I have to say I can't expect the Packers to show up hardcore every game. You will do enough to win some and really show up for others. A week after a tough night game in Atlanta where you wanted to stick it to them again, getting up for the Rams is not going to be as easy.

Thing is your team is that good that even if they don't bring their best it's good enough to beat most teams. If they go full throttle when it matters they should repeat.

I have stuck up for the Packers D way too much this year lol. I talk to fans of AFC teams a lot and when I say the Pack are my pick to repeat or have been all year going back to the offseason a lot of the what if's have to do with the passing D of course.

Your D is pretty damn clutch though.

Not saying the Packers go 16-0 either, never know if you slip up some week against some team with a great game plan and who may need the win more. But, I am a bit suprised at how picked on the D has gotten.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I miss something today? You guys held the Rams to 3 points. I have to say I can't expect the Packers to show up hardcore every game. You will do enough to win some and really show up for others. A week after a tough night game in Atlanta where you wanted to stick it to them again, getting up for the Rams is not going to be as easy.

Thing is your team is that good that even if they don't bring their best it's good enough to beat most teams. If they go full throttle when it matters they should repeat.

I have stuck up for the Packers D way too much this year lol. I talk to fans of AFC teams a lot and when I say the Pack are my pick to repeat or have been all year going back to the offseason a lot of the what if's have to do with the passing D of course.

Your D is pretty damn clutch though.

Not saying the Packers go 16-0 either, never know if you slip up some week against some team with a great game plan and who may need the win more. But, I am a bit suprised at how picked on the D has gotten.

Love this Colts fan! Can we keep you? LOL It's refreshing to see how our D (team) is viewed by another team's fan! Sometime us Pack fans can be too close it to see things clearly. I have great faith in our D but it's awesome to see them through someone else's eyes. :)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Love this Colts fan! Can we keep you? LOL It's refreshing to see how our D (team) is viewed by another team's fan! Sometime us Pack fans can be too close it to see things clearly. I have great faith in our D but it's awesome to see them through someone else's eyes. :)

I have found myself becoming increasingly addicted to this place. I am so sick of chatting with AFC fans at times. I mean I like it but *yawn*. I just don't think the AFC is very interesting this year either. Hopefully it heats up. I hear about how awesome the awesome Patriots are and how many awesome yards awesome Brady threw for. *yawn* And whatever Rex Ryan has said recently. *yawn*

My team sucks so that does not help either.

But, the NFC is so interesting. Between the Packers being the Packers and sneaky teams like the Niners emerging whats not to like?

I have had AFC fans tell me your pass D could be your downfall. I just am not sure I see it. Your D still reminds me a lot of the Pats dynasty D's.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have found myself becoming increasingly addicted to this place. I am so sick of chatting with AFC fans at times. I mean I like it but *yawn*. I just don't think the AFC is very interesting this year either. Hopefully it heats up. I hear about how awesome the awesome Patriots are and how many awesome yards awesome Brady threw for. *yawn* And whatever Rex Ryan has said recently. *yawn*

My team sucks so that does not help either.

But, the NFC is so interesting. Between the Packers being the Packers and sneaky teams like the Niners emerging whats not to like?

I have had AFC fans tell me your pass D could be your downfall. I just am not sure I see it. Your D still reminds me a lot of the Pats dynasty D's.

AFC might heat up in the 2nd half of the season. I'm thinking the Ravens will win the AFC, followed by the Patriots, then maybe the Jets or Steelers.

Your Colts will get better in time. This year kind of sucks for you guys with Manning going down. It will help you in the draft if you want to look on the bright side.

Our pass D does need work. But our D as a whole is still really good. Not as good as last year but I've notices some real improvement from the 2nd half of last weeks game and this game. They are great, but Pack fans expect them to be better. We could use another pass rusher but I have faith that TT and Dom Capers have something in the works. They will not let a repeat SB slip through their fingers because of the pass rush. Of course it doesn't hurt that our QB and offense has gone all super nova!!! :) It compensates for the pass rush.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
AFC might heat up in the 2nd half of the season. I'm thinking the Ravens will win the AFC, followed by the Patriots, then maybe the Jets or Steelers.

Your Colts will get better in time. This year kind of sucks for you guys with Manning going down. It will help you in the draft if you want to look on the bright side.

Our pass D does need work. But our D as a whole is still really good. Not as good as last year but I've notices some real improvement from the 2nd half of last weeks game and this game. They are great, but Pack fans expect them to be better. We could use another pass rusher but I have faith that TT and Dom Capers have something in the works. They will not let a repeat SB slip through their fingers because of the pass rush. Of course it doesn't hurt that our QB and offense has gone all super nova!!! :) It compensates for the pass rush.

I am not upset at all about the Colts anymore. I had a bad feeling going into this season even before the Peyton news. We have started to show some signs of decline. A bad year with some high picks would do us good to get some talent back in needed areas. Also we could use some better coaching on the defensive side. Dungy coached our D when he was here and helped turn it around a few times, Caldwell is an offensive coach. He also sucks but thats a different topic.

The AFC will heat up. I just sense the NFC is where there are more challenges right now. I feel the NFC winner might be more battle tested to win it all in the end much like the last two seasons.

Like you said, your guys at the top won't let a SB slip away due to a missing piece on defense. I truly feel if they think they need someone they might pull a trigger for a trade by the deadline, even if it's a minor move. A lot of teams may not want to deal with the Packers though and make them better nor will the Pack likely want to lose picks either.

I think there is a yard obsession this year. Passing yards given up, passing yards being thrown. All I heard about for weeks was passing yards throw by Brady and Cam Newton to the point I wanted to bash my head against a wall.

As long as your D cracks down in the red zone it's not a big issue to me. I was impressed by the Falcons shutout after the adjustments. I think that counts for something. Despite the Falcons issues this year they are a very dangerous team in their dome.

I guess the big question is if it's a brutal weather game in January if you have faith?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yeah just think, if the Packers defense was a lot better and if they still had Cullen Jenkins for his 1 tackle yesterday this team might be undefeated....oh wait a minute....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think if Cam wouldnt have tossed over 400 yards on us, some people wouldnt be complaining about the D

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the worst team in the National Football League. Hardly anything to brag about, tbh.
Okay, fair, still their lowest total in the season, and they played the Eagles, Giants, Redskins and Ravens.

We're #7 in PPG, BTW. Only defensive statistic that I really care about.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, fair, still their lowest total in the season, and they played the Eagles, Giants, Redskins and Ravens.

We're #7 in PPG, BTW. Only defensive statistic that I really care about.

Yup #7 tied with Detroit at 19 per game

But I dont like that stat...It includes int/fumble for TD (is that right?) But I know punt/kickoff ret for TD are added to the points scored ...

Didnt NO have a kickoff or punt ret for a td? then the true points scored on our actual defense is 17.8, which would be 5th in the league....

The D is 2nd in int and 7th in fumbles

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup #7 tied with Detroit at 19 per game

But I dont like that stat...It includes int/fumble for TD (is that right?) But I know punt/kickoff ret for TD are added to the points scored ...

Didnt NO have a kickoff or punt ret for a td? then the true points scored on our actual defense is 17.8, which would be 5th in the league....

The D is 2nd in int and 7th in fumbles
Yes, it does take into account those scores, so it doesn't show only the defensive scores allowed...

But it does so for everyone else... I agree though, flawed stat. Just much better than yards allowed...

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly this defense isnt THAT BAD. There I said it. It doesnt matter if you give up 550 yds passing if they cant score TDs they arent going to keep up with our offense. plain and simple. They give up some big chunks of yards and there has been poor tackling at time, but we have the ability to make people one dimensional and as long as we can find some sort of pressure so our secondary isnt left out to dry we will continue winning games.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As some have mentioned, I too can't figure out why teams are generally ranked by the number of yards gained or surrendered rather than by the number of points in each category? One category is clearly more important than the other - that's mystified me for some time now.

Anyway, in the last 7 quarters of football the Packers have given up 3 points. Yes, four of those quarters were against the lowly Rams but 3 of 'em were against the Falcons and they're in the middle of the pack in points per game (ppg). There was an interesting article last week on jsonline insider about how Capers' defenses have improved over the course of a season. It related that the '09 D improved nearly 27% from the first 4 games to the rest of the regular season in points allowed and then improved about 24% in that category last season. The article went on to say that Capers' Ds from his Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, and Miami days as DC also improved from the first quarter of the season to the remaining 12 games. And so did his Panthers and Texans' Ds from his days as HC of those teams. BTW, the Packers D this year gave up just 1 ppg more in the first four games vs. their 2009 counterparts. If the script plays out the Packers will go from allowing about 24 ppg to about 17. And they're of course on their way there: Going into tonight's game, the Packers are 23rd in yards allowed but as PackersRS said they are now tied for 7th in points surrendered, giving up an average of 19 ppg on the season.

There are obstacles in the way of the D. Even when they were healthier, the pass D looked bad over the first quarter of the season. IMO the loss of Collins is more important than any single loss suffered last year and his career may be over. And now Burnett has a club and a hand instead of two hands, Tramon is still recovering from his shoulder injury, and Shields may miss the next game recovering from a concussion he unnecessarily suffered on his EZ INT. Zombo still isn't fully back up to speed and Neal has to prove he can stay on the field once he gets back on it. On the bright side is the historic improvement of Capers' Ds, which seems to be playing out even as we complain about the D. Tramon is getting healthier and Shields is looking more like his 2010 self. We know Peprah can play well enough at safety to win it all and he and Burnett will get more and more in sync as the season progresses. Zombo should add some pass rush and rookie DB House may improve enough to help in coverage. And if Neal comes back healthy, he and Raji will demand double-team attention when Capers goes with his 2-4-5. No doubt there'll be more injuries to overcome on D and at some point the Packers will likely lose a game this season. But the Packers have an 'ace in the hole': The innovative mind of Dom Capers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we have gone into the fourth quarter with the lead in every game. As long as the D can keep them from scoring more points than us I don't care what they are ranked.
Excatamoondo!

As I wrote before: I don't get it. Our pass d is ranked last. Yet it manages to help win games for us!?
OK, if the pass d is ranked dead last then it looks like that opposing teams are passing for 1st downs and tds every single time they touch the ball. Which isn't true.
So how can we have a bottom of the barrel pass d and be 6-0?
And how can we be playing against teams that have a better pass d and beat them?
Something is all wonky with the stats.

Yeah, who cares what our defense is ranked, indeed.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Excatamoondo!

As I wrote before: I don't get it. Our pass d is ranked last. Yet it manages to help win games for us!?
OK, if the pass d is ranked dead last then it looks like that opposing teams are passing for 1st downs and tds every single time they touch the ball. Which isn't true.
So how can we have a bottom of the barrel pass d and be 6-0?
And how can we be playing against teams that have a better pass d and beat them?
Something is all wonky with the stats.

Yeah, who cares what our defense is ranked, indeed.
Yeah you are right on, you gotta look past the stats. Teams throw alot when they can't run. We are taking away the run. The way the new NFL is configured any team can make throws across the middle, It has become an autobahn. But when teams hit the redzone they lose that autobahn and that's when the good D's show up. Come the winds of November and the snows of December those teams that can't run won't be able to pass and our D is going to climb the ladder fast in the stats. To play with the big boys outdoors in the dead of winter you need a QB who has a strong, accurate arm.

The futures so bright, we need to wear shades.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you are right on, you gotta look past the stats. Teams throw alot when they can't run. We are taking away the run. The way the new NFL is configured any team can make throws across the middle, It has become an autobahn. But when teams hit the redzone they lose that autobahn and that's when the good D's show up. Come the winds of November and the snows of December those teams that can't run won't be able to pass and our D is going to climb the ladder fast in the stats. To play with the big boys outdoors in the dead of winter you need a QB who has a strong, accurate arm.

The futures so bright, we need to wear shades.
Keep up the positive attitude my friend.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Colts still have weapons on offense and their defense is still pretty damn good.

Rams have Steven Jackson and that's about it.

No.
Hard to get these weapons the ball with no QB and their defenses are giving up almost the exact same amount of points per game.

This is like comparing AIDS to CANCER though, both are really bad.

Members online

Latest posts