1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Who Cares What Our Defense Is Ranked

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Bogart, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    We ONLY gave up 3 points!

I know we'll be hearing about letting Bradford throw 300 passing yards, but look at the positive, we only gave up 3 points. That is huge.

• Like Like x 3
  2. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +120
    I keep saying red-zone D is the only D that counts!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    To the worst team in the National Football League. Hardly anything to brag about, tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I would call Miami the worst before putting the Rams to that title.

Look at the bright side of things.

Baltimore gave up a TD against them, we did not.

5. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +473
    Well if Cam can throw 400+ on us and we still win, I'm sure not going to worry about a mere 300.

6. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    Listen I'm not trying to bash the team, but really I think people are putting off some defensive woes we have right now that are going to hurt us down the road if they don't get corrected.

7. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    I have strong faith and conviction in this defense. I think in time, it will be an equal opposite elite force to our offense. That talent, energy and team chemistry is ever present. There were some major issues with pass rush and the secondary. They are getting corrected. They improve more and more as a team every week. Look at the D from the Panthers game and compare it to the D in the 2nd half of the Falcons game as well as the entire Rams game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,973
    This is a good D. Yards given up doesn't equate with Ws. You can expect a team that scores as fast as the Packers to give the other team at least some time to get some yards. I also question how many of the "yards given up" are given up because the other team is in catch up mode most of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    That's exactly what I am saying.

People are gonna have a problem with our defense but the Atlanta game they helped us pull through when down by 14.

I really don't care that they gave up 300 passing yards today against a desperate winless team that plays in a pass heavy offense. What matters is how many points they gave up to that passing attack, which was 3. We did not give up a touchdown.

• Like Like x 1
  10. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Canadian Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +166
    Yes, it is great they were able to hold them out of the end zone but there is lots of room for improvement and I guarantee you no one in that locker room is happy about letting the Rams rack up that many yards on offense.

Let the haters hate and the band-wagoners flame, but I for one am going to look at the total picture after a win.

11. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    i am going to go with the colts as being the worst team in the league.

12. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Yards are not points though.

That's what matters.

Give them time, and don't discount the Atlanta game. Our defense showed up against them.

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Its getting better and I like that, but I worry what will happen against a competent QB like Rivers. Guess well see.

14. Southpaw

Ratings:
    +422
    No. Colts still have weapons on offense and their defense is still pretty damn good.

Rams have Steven Jackson and that's about it.

15. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    I agree, yards /= points. We had the lead and let the offense build on it, but the game has got to end somehow and as long as the Packers points > opponents points we win.

16. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    When you are talking about pro football the divide between the worst team in the NFL and the best is not that huge. Holding any professional team to 3 points is a very good outing by a defense. This team scored 7 on the Ravens. 13 on The Eagles, 16 on the Giants, and 10 on the Redskins. We are not the Dominant team we were at the end of last year yet but what does this defense have to do to get your respect.

Taking away Steven Jackson is big. Burnett played a great game even with the club. There were all kinds of big plays made. And the great thing is, we are getting better each week even being banged up.

17. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +166
    Yards are not points, no doubt, but when a team like the Rams puts up 424 total yards (25 more than the Packers posted) against you there is something to at least talk about. As I am sure DC, MM, and the rest of the staff will this coming week.

18. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,973
    This team is now 6 and O. Can't some you guys enjoy a great win by an excellent team for just a little while without bellyaching?

• Like Like x 2
  19. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    They'll get corrected. Neal will be coming back and our pass rush will get better. Matthews, Woodson, Willams, and now Burnett, are banged up, Peprah and Burnett's play will continue to improve. Burnett made some big hits even with that big club on after that first missed tackle. With Capers coaching this defense, they will have it together going down the stretch if we can stay healthy. Still real early.

• Like Like x 1
  20. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    They are putting up those kinds of numbers because we are taking away the run game. It's the middle of October. How many yards do you think these teams are going to be putting up in December when we take away the run? You have to look past the stats and look at the game.

21. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    Well said Croak, Well said.

22. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +166
    I'll enjoy it when we are lifting our 5th Lombardi at the end of the season. I am not excited about beating the Rams. I never said I wasn't impressed with the outing, but I choose to look at the full picture.

23. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    One game at at time.

24. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +166
    ..Who said anything different??

I am not excited after beating the Rams, you can share whatever emotion you wish.

25. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    Hey, I am over the moon after every opponent. You never know in this leauge. there is not a huge difference between the worst team and the best team. Rodgers goes down and its a whole different game. I hold my breath till we have a three touchdown lead.