Who Backs Up The Backups?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, Bishop and Hawk went down which brought Francois and Smith into the game at ILB. Last week Bishop and Hawk were both out with Francois and Smith both getting the start. Here is my question: Who is backing up Francois and Smith?

When I look at the depth chart, the Packers have no other players on the roster or practice squad that play ILB. They've got several guys at OLB (Zombo, Jones, So'oto, Lattimore), but I don't think it's quite so easy in the 3-4 scheme to just move inside. I've often heard that in the 3-4 systems, you'd more likely move a big safety down as an emergency backup ILB. Collins is out. Burnett and Peprah are in. The backup safety is MD Jennings who weighs 187lbs (listed weight) soaking wet. I doubt any of those guys are moving down. Maybe they would they move Peprah down to ILB and Woodson over to safety if Francois or Smith had to leave the game??

I know that Hawk may play this week, but what I really want to know if if any one knows the Packer's backup plan for the backups?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they have a 45 man roster they are comfortable with. If 3-4 linebackers get injured in a game and are out for the game then God wants you to lose that game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
okcpackerfan, the NFL dropped the goofy #3 QB rule with the new CBA and now there are 46 players active on game days. Good question, El Guapo. As far as ILB backups, I know Jones has taken snaps inside and my bet is he'd be the first off the bench. My next guess is Zombo, if he's healthy to be active Sunday. If not, then - again just a guess - whoever the coaching staff has the most confidence in from the group of So'oto, Lattimore and Walden would take over inside. I include Walden just in case they have more confidence in him inside while someone like So'oto would take over outside where he's had more snaps. Players like So'oto and Lattimore have to be flexible enough to learn multiple positions in case of injury. We've seen that (too often IMO) regarding the OL in previous seasons. And you can bet the staff, which lives with this situation day and night, has had others take snaps inside and dive into the playbook if need be, just in case.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm sure that the staff has a plan and the only way that I want to find out is verbally - meaning I hope that I don't see it on Sunday!

The offensive line positions, as complex as they are, are also pretty interchangeable. Centers and guards typically know how to play the other position and same with guards and tackles. I'm not quite sure that most of the OLBs in a 3-4 can make that switch...think of the difficulty that Aaron Kampman had going from a DE to OLB. Those guys are doing a lot of the same things rushing the passer and defending the edges, but with the wrinkle of dropping into coverage added at OLB. The ILB in a 3-4 are mostly run stuffers with some coverage responsibilities. Quite a bit different than what Matthews, Walden, and Zombo are doing on the edges. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like a tough move from OLB to ILB.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean temporarily for a few games or long term replacement if the injured starter goes to IR? It could be resolved with moving some guys around if it's a short term fix. If long term and the guy is on IR, they may have guys on stand-by or reserve, not sure if I'm using the right term. Either that or could they pluck somebody off waivers if it's that bad? Or even pick up a FA? You have to pray you are never in a situation like this to begin with but given last year with 15 guys on IR and backups as starters, I'm sure the Packers are well prepared to handle pretty much anything.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mostly just meant in any particular game, if say Francois got hurt, who would be the next guy up?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably Brad Jones is next man up. Depends on who else is active after that. They could also change the scheme and stay with 3 down lineman, 3 LB and play nickel with Peprah or Bush in the box and Woodson at safety for instance.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wilde said today that So'oto hurt his back again so he may not be active on Sunday. There aren't any LBs on the practice squad but you can bet they have a list of ILBs on other teams' PS and on the street.

Members online

Latest posts