Which Two Wide Outs do we want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Watkins to me makes me willing to tighten up more to BPA.

As merely an example before the Watkins pick up I was like a ten player range, if at my pick at 22 the top WR was within eight picks on the board of those left I’m going to have a hard time not picking him over the other seven ahead.

Watkins tightens that down to maybe seven or six. I hate it people advocating for solely a WR mentality because it really could cause you to not pick the best prospect and in three years have folks finally not pissing and moaning about TJ Watt anymore because they have another person that is a STUD that we could have picked…like if Jermaine Johnson falls or Karlaftis…

WR is still our top need and Watkins didn’t change that, he merely turned the severity dial a tick or two down.
I understand the slight change in philosophy, but for me it would depend on the Packers WR board and who is still on it for round 1. If 22 came around and Burks was the only WR still available in their round 1 group, I think they almost have to take him. I wouldn't expect a WR taken at 53 to be one that contributes a lot in year 1 and maybe not even in year 2.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Sammy will not finish in the top 3 on the Pack in receptions or yards. I am okay with the signing since I don't have anything better to suggest. I just think some people are getting a little too excited about it. IMO.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Williams. Pickens, Tolbert, and Pierce. I would be happy with 1 0r 2 off that list early.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Watkins to me makes me willing to tighten up more to BPA.

As merely an example before the Watkins pick up I was like a ten player range, if at my pick at 22 the top WR was within eight picks on the board of those left I’m going to have a hard time not picking him over the other seven ahead.

Watkins tightens that down to maybe seven or six. I hate it people advocating for solely a WR mentality because it really could cause you to not pick the best prospect and in three years have folks finally not pissing and moaning about TJ Watt anymore because they have another person that is a STUD that we could have picked…like if Jermaine Johnson falls or Karlaftis…

WR is still our top need and Watkins didn’t change that, he merely turned the severity dial a tick or two down.
Lol, That's me you're talking about. I'm probably the biggest whiner about not having TJ Watt on our roster.

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect a WR taken at 53 to be one that contributes a lot in year 1 and maybe not even in year 2.
Probably less than 50% chance yeah.

However, to me anyway, it’s even more unlikely we spend 2 Selections in Round 1 without taking a WR. To me? that means no WR left was valued within ~6-8 selections of either pick. That would be a terrible situation and it kinda happened to me on several interactive Mocks.

It reminded me of how important it is to Nail 1 WR early. Even if we pay a #18 overall selection price for a guy we have ranked #22 range. It takes an immense amount of pressure off. I was playing a hypothetical Interactive Mock draft and I felt exposed leaving Day 1 with no Receiver. It felt terrible. I felt like George Kastanza in that after cold pool changing scene :eek:
I never want to go back there again
Please Please please just get WR out of the way early. I got the Heeby Jeebies just flirting with that idea of waiting to 53 :poop:

Last edited:

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn’t find any information on us getting Fuller. If we do I could see us trading up (slightly) for Burks as he is a different receiver than those guys.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Probably less than 50% chance yeah.

However, to me anyway, it’s even more unlikely we spend 2 Selections in Round 1 without taking a WR. To me? that means no WR left was valued within ~6-8 selections of either pick. That would be a terrible situation and it kinda happened to me on several interactive Mocks.

It reminded me of how important it is to Nail 1 WR early. Even if we pay a #18 overall selection price for a guy we have ranked #22 range. It takes an immense amount of pressure off. I was playing a hypothetical Interactive Mock draft and I felt exposed leaving Day 1 with no Receiver. It felt terrible. I felt like George Kastanza in that after cold pool changing scene :eek:
I never want to go back there again
Please Please please just get WR out of the way early. I got the Heeby Jeebies just flirting with that idea of waiting to 53 :poop:
If you are running a draft simulator and find no WR's that you like at #22, just do what I do, swear and restart the simulator. :coffee:

I run several differnt simulators and the PFF one seems to favor taking a lot of WR's early. If one of my top 5 are still there, it is usually Burks.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw James Jones on TV (youtube actually). He wants us to take Thornton. Sounded like he was talking 1st pick.

Reaction score
If you are running a draft simulator and find no WR's that you like at #22, just do what I do, swear and restart the simulator. :coffee:

I run several differnt simulators and the PFF one seems to favor taking a lot of WR's early. If one of my top 5 are still there, it is usually Burks.
I’d love to have Burks early and get that out of the way. I think he’ll be pretty good early on.. maybe even in 2022 because we’ve got some good blocking compliments.
If GB gets someone like him early that has his own unique blend of size, power and finesse? I think it will go a long ways towards achieving our goals both now and in the near future.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’d love to have Burks early and get that out of the way. I think he’ll be pretty good early on.. maybe even in 2022 because we’ve got some good blocking compliments.
If GB gets someone like him early that has his own unique blend of size, power and finesse? I think it will go a long ways towards achieving our goals both now and in the near future.
I like Burks too. However, I probably will be happy with the WR that the Packers select at #22 or earlier. Since I assume that was the guy they wanted.

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere that they are in love with Jameson Williams & are willing to do whatever it takes to get him. Could they be blowing smoke to bait another team into taking him so that their is still there at 22? I find it hard to believe that they would risk that much on him. If you draft him early, probably going to take a few weeks at least for him to be active or even productive, meaning they would probably have to draft another wr high..or get another proven vet to cover the time he is out.

Reaction score
Just did a simulator and I had both 22. Wilson, 28. Olave and 92.Ruckert. But it left me some strange options in Round 2. It was an Ohio State U reunion!
My wife asked me what was up..
Apparently I had the strangest smile on my face :)

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching a ton of film and suffering through some internal debate, I've finally landed on my top 6 receivers for this draft:

1.) Wilson
2.) Williams
3.) Olave
4.) Pickens
5.) Burks
6.) Watson

Wilson and Williams are just electric athletes who just unbelievably explosive. They have a suddenness that's just fun to watch and will translate extremely well against press corners in the league. I really wanted to put Pickens at 3 because I think he has the highest ceiling in the draft, but Olave is just ready to go. Olave lacks any sort of physicality which almost guarantees he's a pure Z receiver. Pickens is everything you want in an X. I think Burks is suffering from overanalysis and not enough film review. His RAS score and testing do not back up what he shows on field and it's somewhat similar to what happened to DK Metcalf. I think he's just going to be a big Deebo who you can plug and play in multiple positions on the field. He does need to work on his routes and separation though. Watson is just so fluid for a guy his size, he has a giant ceiling, but he's extremely raw. His route running is better than people say, but it's not polished and his hands/concentration drops are concerning. London just missed because I see him being a Kelvin Benjamin type receiver who lacks the speed to separate and is kind of a lumbering tight end on the outside. We'll see how that translates.

Here are some of the receivers that intrigue me the most in the mid to late rounds in no particular order.

1.) Jalen Tolbert Jr.
2.) Skyy Moore
3.) Wan'Dale Robinson
4.) Kyle Philips
5.) Tyquan Thornton
6.) Velvus Jones Jr.
7.) Alec Pierce

Tolbert, Pierce, and Moore have the potential to go higher than the "mid-rounds", but I'm including them in this list. Tolbert definitely has the ability to be an X or Z and has some incredible tape. He didn't play against the best competition though. Skyy Moore to me can be a mix of Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown. He can play inside or even outside, makes tough catches and is pretty damn good at separating. Pierce gets compared to Jordy quite a bit, I can see it, but it he doesn't have nearly the same production that Jordy had coming out of college. For a number one receiver with a top QB prospect, I don't see why he wasn't used more. Wan'Dale might be taking over as my favorite "mid-round" talent. This kid is electric with a capital E! He's a shifty burner who could really excel at taking the top off a defense which is something we desperately need. I agree with what a lot of teams are saying and that was captured on Walter Football's site, he seems like a better Brandin Cooks who a lot of people agree could have helped this team for sure. Velvus is interesting because he's a pure offensive weapon who you could use in the Deebo role, but his routes aren't great. However, he's an excellent kick returner and we need on of those as well. He could help the team in multiple ways. Philips looks identical to Hunter Renfrow and Thornton looks like a better MVS. Sorry, mailed the last two in, but the comps are pretty accurate if you ask me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pierce gets compared to Jordy quite a bit, I can see it, but it he doesn't have nearly the same production that Jordy had coming out of college. For a number one receiver with a top QB prospect, I don't see why he wasn't used more.
I looked at that and noticed Cincinnati spread that ball around. With 3300 yards passing, There were 8 separate WR with double digit catches and 7 with 20+ catches.
He easily was the front runner.

He actually did have a big day against #9 rated Texas, so he’s played well against stellar competition, when given the chance. I think I read he broke a school record for receiving against a top 10 program.

In comparison. Jordy did have the one big final season, yet up to that point they were pretty comparable and Pierce has more big play ability at that point. Pierce is a standout scholar (made the NCAA Division I Academic All District team (4 states region)) and further has a Sports pedigree. He lettered in 3 sports and both Mom and Dad were good athletes. He’s definitely a complete package type guy.

For me, apart from that and just looking at stats he’s a 3rd rounder. But considering Combine and full package 50/50 he’ll be gone by close of Round 2 imo

Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I see of Dotson, the more I like him. Not my first choice but he looks very good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I see of Dotson, the more I like him. Not my first choice but he looks very good.

Dotson is a solid weapon. He isn't the type of WR I want to spend first round equity on, but is also a WR that shouldn't be around when our second rounders come around either.

Reaction score
Dotson is a solid weapon. He isn't the type of WR I want to spend first round equity on, but is also a WR that shouldn't be around when our second rounders come around either.
I really feel like a trade up from #53 is in play.

Another move at WR if the remaining players are not yet a value on their board at #28? not Gutes historical method, but he should trade back to this range
#31 Cinci (they leap frog KC)
#33 Jags (pick up 5th year option)
#35 Jets (“ “)

With Cinci #31 we’d likely swap our #132 for their #95 and we could throw in our last 7th rounder to sweeten things.

At Jags #33, we’d get the bonus, a first selection of Day 3 (#106). This is the ideal one because we get the night to ponder everyone left after BOTH Day 1 and Day 2. I like that thought and I bet there’s a stud there at #33 and #106. Plus we can (have the option) negotiate #92 package with #53 and get another top 40 range guy. That last scenario is #22, #33, #40 #59 #106, #132, #140, #171 etc..

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really feel like a trade up from #53 is in play.

Another move at WR if the remaining players are not yet a value on their board at #28? not Gutes historical method, but he should trade back to this range
#31 Cinci (they leap frog KC)
#33 Jags (pick up 5th year option)
#35 Jets (“ “)

With Cinci #31 we’d likely swap our #132 for their #95 and we could throw in our last 7th rounder to sweeten things.

At Jags #33, we’d get the bonus, a first selection of Day 3 (#106). This is the ideal one because we get the night to ponder everyone left after BOTH Day 1 and Day 2. I like that thought and I bet there’s a stud there at #33 and #106. Plus we can (have the option) negotiate #92 package with #53 and get another top 40 range guy. That last scenario is #22, #33, #40 #59 #106, #132, #140, #171 etc..
You must really like somebody at #40. In your scenario they go back 28 to 33. Move up from 53 to 40. Go back from 92 to 106. So the decision would have to be made depending who is still on the board at 28. I know it is small but I hate dropping from 92 to 106.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts