Which DBs were the best in Packerland?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of bickering over Sherman, I thought it would be more productive to bicker over which Packer players were the best of the Packer DBs.

I personally like Ken Ellis, Willie Wood, Chuck Cecil and LeRoy Butler.

Wood for his toughness, Ellis for his speed and playmaking, Butler for his reliability and leadership, and Chuck Cecil for the way he MADE the opposing players respect him... He could HIT!

With the DB position haveing the ???? it has today, if you could plug in any of the old Packer DBs(IN their Prime) in there now, who would replace with whom?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, for my money, Mark Murphy is THE most consistenly overlooked DB in recent Packers history. Limited athletically, his mental sharpness and toughness seperated him from the also-rans.

From the same era, Mark Lee was phenomenal for many years for the Packers.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Of those not mentioned,

Craig Newsome, the super bowl year he didn't have a single penalty, until the super bowl game.

I think he was really good until his injury then went down hill from there.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herb Atterly(not so sure about the spelling) from the 60's was good,he also played for the cowboys in the super bowl,I think.
But Leroy is the one I liked best,always put the team first,and a great player.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herb Adderley and Willie Wood, in the HOF.
Tim Lewis would have been in if not for the spinal condition that cut his career short.
Leroy Butler hopefully will be in.
All were great defenders but also caught the pass well. So that the opponent risked an int, not just a knock down. Tim Lewis had exceptional hands and had some acrobatic ints in his short career.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys mentioned the main ones already. Willie Buchanon wasn't too bad either.

How come no one mentioned Sharper :p

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willie Wood, Herb Adderly, Leroy Butler, Willie Buchanon are my starters.
Johnny Gray was a pretty hard hitter for a small guy. Wasn't he basically in the same situation as Willie? FA, undrafted, etc? Cal-Fullerton I believe.
Hammer

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
You guys mentioned the main ones already. Willie Buchanon wasn't too bad either.

How come no one mentioned Sharper :p

I believe they were asking for the best DB, not the best at wiffing tackles.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willie Buchanon, cripes how could I forget Willie Buchanon! What a great problem it would be for a coach to have to decide which two to start between Adderley, Buchanon, and Lewis. Tough decision, I guess I would go with Adderley and Buchanon because they played longer but Lewis may have been the most talented. Man, that's all pretty high company.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts