Where the Packers are in the NFC

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Seahawks should be ranked above the Saints and the Packers at this point.

Hawks have lost to Saints this season. Not sure how tiebreaker works, but that factors in, I reckon. At present you can argue either way between us and Hawks, but Saints are above both atm.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hawks have lost to Saints this season. Not sure how tiebreaker works, but that factors in, I reckon. At present you can argue either way between us and Hawks, but Saints are above both atm.

The Saints would win a tie breaker over the Seahawks based on their win against them. That game was played in week 3 with the Saints having regressed since then though.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not bias and i believe I’m definitely a realist. From what I’m seeing as far as rosters, coaching staffs, and depth.. the Packers are probably the 7th best team in the NFC. You still have to line up and play the game, but we’re going to need 2011-12 Rodgers if we realistically have a chance at playing in Miami for a SB. I just don’t see the talent on this years roster like on other teams. Packers have to stop being so conservative in their approach on improving the roster. Yes it’s gotten better, but they still aren’t aggressive as I’d like them to be. Adding a guy like Tunsil or Stills would’ve done wonders. Instead they go to Houston.

Saints
Rams
Eagles
Cowpies
Bears
Seahawks
Packers

We will never again see the 2011, 2012 Rogers in the present. We need to draft his replacement. He is still the best, but he is past his prime and rattles easily.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This team reminds me a bit of the 2015 Packers. They started strong but once teams started to dissect how to beat them, they were toast.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is going to be another tough pill to swallow is getting into the playoffs because I assume they finish with 11/12 wins. And another one and done.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that disappoints people, but it really should be a pretty good indication of where the Packer coaches feel he is on the depth chart, as well as in his development. This "pining" for certain players to play, thinking they are the better than those who are playing, seems too be a common trap by some fans.

Could he truly be any worse than Graham and Lewis? We haven't had a TE with any speed since J. Cook.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is going to be another tough pill to swallow is getting into the playoffs because I assume they finish with 11/12 wins. And another one and done.

Did anyone here really believe we'd be a SB contender with a new HC and offensive philosophy? I didn't. Being 8-3 this soon in MLF's tenure is encouraging, frankly, and bodes well for us in 2020.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Could he truly be any worse than Graham and Lewis? We haven't had a TE with any speed since J. Cook.

Actually, yes he probably could be. Which is why he was inactive for the game. Again, I get it, Sternberger was a 3rd round pick and people are disappointed in Jimmy G, but that doesn't automatically make Jace S. a better TE by default. He did get 14 snaps on offense during the Carolina game. JS missed a lot of time due to injury, that time for a rookie is huge and I am sure the Packers and their fans are hopeful that Jace is able to stay healthy and contribute in 2020, but its pretty obvious that the coaching staff doesn't feel he is ready.

Tell me what you expect out of JS this season? Keeping in mind that he had 4 targets in Preseason, one of which he caught, for a 2 yard TD.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have some thoughts today:

1 - It is a possible one and done season. However for a rookie head coach and new system it is still a step in the right direction compared to the last 2 years. A division title is still possible.

2 - I would prefer to find a new direction at DC. Pettine has been all hype and no substance. Zero real improvement from Capers with more talent. They have invested so much in this D. The talent excuses are over. The only improvement has been the Smith's and all that is is them doing exactly what we payed them to do here.

3 - Ted Thompson really screwed this team. He refused for years to look for real talent to put around Rodgers and insisted on his way. Now it might be too late, because

4 - The prime Aaron Rodgers is gone forever. He is 36 next month and will never again be like he was in 2010 and 2011. I think the franchise took for granted that he could always carry the offense with a bunch of nobodies for years and he just isn't good enough to do that anymore. What we are left with is a very good, but no longer elite QB that I would probably put just outside my top 5 NFL QBs. He is now the age where Favre was when we drafted Aaron. I think it may be time to look to the future. If Tua Tagovailoa falls to our spot in the 1st because of his injury I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's worrisome when we start looking at Jace, St Brown, Tonyan and Raven Greene as key players next season.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we are left with is a very good, but no longer elite QB that I would probably put just outside my top 5 NFL QBs. He is now the age where Favre was when we drafted Aaron. I think it may be time to look to the future. If Tua Tagovailoa falls to our spot in the 1st because of his injury I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.

It's a good thing you have no involvement with the Pack and their drafting then because you don't really know wtf your talking about with this

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a good thing you have no involvement with the Pack and their drafting then because you don't really know wtf your talking about with this

And the fact is neither are you and you would have absolutely no clue what the plan is in any Packer draft room.

Taking a possible generational QB who won't play for a couple years anyway behind Rodgers and can't play in 2020 because he's hurt is not a WTF strategy. If you disagree with it explain why instead of offering nothing but a condescending shallow response like that.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how do you all prefer this plays out?

49ers beat Saints and lose to Ravens and Seahawks?

Seahawks win vs Vikings?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how do you all prefer this plays out?

49ers beat Saints and lose to Ravens and Seahawks?

Seahawks win vs Vikings?

Best to really hope for is to finish 4-1 which gets you to 12-4 and should win the division.

Need 2 Saint losses somewhere to get a top 2 seed and a bye with that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately we'll never know...

It's completely unrealistic to expect a rookie tight end that has been injured most of the season would have made a difference in a game the Packers lost by 29.

Best to really hope for is to finish 4-1 which gets you to 12-4 and should win the division.

The Packers are definitely capable of winning in Minnesota as well.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone here really believe we'd be a SB contender with a new HC and offensive philosophy? I didn't. Being 8-3 this soon in MLF's tenure is encouraging, frankly, and bodes well for us in 2020.

Not a SB contender, but after starting 8-2. Going into Dallas & KC and winning (though they had no Mahomes, Pack didn't have Adams in either game) definitely was a confidence booster. Then getting Adams back and Rodgers having the worst 3 game stretch of the year. Then a big test in SF and to fall THAT flat, hard to not feel a little discouraged. That 8-3 while great, tastes a little sour all of a sudden.

They're going to finish 11-5/12-4, so honest question, how do you temper expectations going into the playoffs to get let down? How do you temper expectations that this offense got worse with the #1 WR, and RBs were their #1 and #2 WR while their true #1 was out? Would any of their WRs besides Adams even start on another team at this point?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a SB contender, but after starting 8-2. Going into Dallas & KC and winning (though they had no Mahomes, Pack didn't have Adams in either game) definitely was a confidence booster. Then getting Adams back and Rodgers having the worst 3 game stretch of the year. Then a big test in SF and to fall THAT flat, hard to not feel a little discouraged. That 8-3 while great, tastes a little sour all of a sudden.

They're going to finish 11-5/12-4, so honest question, how do you temper expectations going into the playoffs to get let down? How do you temper expectations that this offense got worse with the #1 WR, and RBs were their #1 and #2 WR while their true #1 was out? Would any of their WRs besides Adams even start on another team at this point?

They've definitely got a talent problem on offense. They need a 1st round quality WR, a tight end, probably a tackle still.

But for now, they've got what they've got and for some reason, they've been completely unable to function in their offense around their #1 WR.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has to hope that we get to play either Dallas or Philly in the first round, other teams upset SF/Sea, and we lose to Minnesota in December, so that we can beat them in the playoffs. We aren't good enough to beat Minnesota 3 times in one season. It's the only way we won't be one-and-done.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has to hope that we get to play either Dallas or Philly in the first round, other teams upset SF/Sea, and we lose to Minnesota in December, so that we can beat them in the playoffs. We aren't good enough to beat Minnesota 3 times in one season. It's the only way we won't be one-and-done.

Whether or not we lose to Minnesota in December has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not we would beat them in January.

I hope you are not seriously hoping to lose in Minnesota under the premise that that is the only way we can beat them in the playoffs because that is an extremely flawed premise.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, yes he probably could be. Which is why he was inactive for the game. Again, I get it, Sternberger was a 3rd round pick and people are disappointed in Jimmy G, but that doesn't automatically make Jace S. a better TE by default. He did get 14 snaps on offense during the Carolina game. JS missed a lot of time due to injury, that time for a rookie is huge and I am sure the Packers and their fans are hopeful that Jace is able to stay healthy and contribute in 2020, but its pretty obvious that the coaching staff doesn't feel he is ready.

Tell me what you expect out of JS this season?
Keeping in mind that he had 4 targets in Preseason, one of which he caught, for a 2 yard TD.

I'm not sure what to expect but when you invest a 3rd round pick on a guy and he isn't hurt I would think the coaches would want to see what they have in a guy in game situations.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The clearest path for the Packers to the SB is clearly not through California. Must be the West Coast air or the Libations? :coffee:

Even after last nights blowout by the Ravens, not sure I would want to even have to face the Rams in LA.

The Packers are going to have to stay healthy, get better and more consistent and then hope to get a home game or two in the playoffs to have a shot at a trip to Miami.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I never expected them to make the playoffs this year let alone win the division so if we make the playoffs I won't be discouraged at all even if we go one and done. Even after that mess in SF I still think the team is going in the right direction and 2020 will be even more fun if we address a few holes in the offseason.

Members online