Where O Where Have You Gone! (A.J. Hawk)

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was browsing through the espn website during the preseason and came across an article that had 50 players in the league at this time that ESPN writers believed would one day be in the Hall of Fame in Canton.

And to my surprise A.J. Hawk was one of those names.

I am utterly dissapointed with his performance this year, and to be frank i cant think of ONE big play he has had in the 5 games this year. I will acknowledge he was runner up for rookie of the year beind Demeco Ryans.

I am hoping this kid doesnt fall off the map. He was a number 5 pick overall.

A.J. Im routing for you, but comeon man start makin some plays!!!!!!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know.....are teams running away from him? That can be a reason why he's not been heard of much.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've seen, he's made plenty of average plays, in the top 3 or 4 on the team in tackles (just a guess there) and hasn't been responsible for huge mistakes.

I think he's just doing his job right now, and he's gonna start blowing up at some point this year. I'm not concerned about his play at all this year.

And when you think about it, the defense as a whole isn't making huge plays, besides Barnett and our defensive line, but even they could be better.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not playing like a Pro Bowler but he had 11 tackles against San Diego and played solid against Minnesota. He made a nice open field tackle against the Bears last week. I think it was on Adrian Peterson, their 3rd down back.

I'm disappointed that he isn't playing up to his potential but the "kid" hasn't fallen off the map.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest with you though it seems to me like he should be playing like a pro bowler. I will make final assemsments after this year, just saying, no spectacular plays from our "franchise" pick last year

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
From what I've seen, he's made plenty of average plays, in the top 3 or 4 on the team in tackles (just a guess there) and hasn't been responsible for huge mistakes.

I think he's just doing his job right now, and he's gonna start blowing up at some point this year. I'm not concerned about his play at all this year.

And when you think about it, the defense as a whole isn't making huge plays, besides Barnett and our defensive line, but even they could be better.

According to NFL.com statistics he is third in tackles with 34, 3 behind Atari Bigby and 10 behind Barnett.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/statistics?team=GB

I'm not worried... I'd like to see him pick off a pass or get a sack but he's been about as sure a tackler as you can find.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing about Hawk...I'm ALWAYS confident that he will make the tackle. He wraps up very well! It doesnt seem like anyone gets away from him. for the most part.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why this worry about Hawk? He's one of our top tacklers and is in his second year. I can't recall hearing about him getting blown up at the line or getting beat down field. He's quietly going about his business.

I'd be worried about other players before Hawk. Just my opinion though.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why this worry about Hawk? He's one of our top tacklers and is in his second year. I can't recall hearing about him getting blown up at the line or getting beat down field. He's quietly going about his business.

I'd be worried about other players before Hawk. Just my opinion though.

I agree with you. I honestly think that if anyone is to blame for the Pack's less-than-elite performance so far, it's whoever's calling the plays. Not sure if MM is in charge of that or not.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk and Barnett basically compete for stats which is a great thing. As much as i love Popp's intensity and fire I wish we could find a stud SOLB to complement H&B.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago (after the San Diego game) I read an article in the Packer Plus, written by Cliff Christl and some other guy, where they gave their opinions on various players. They said that they thought Hawk was playing just as well, if not better, than he was at the end of last season, but it's not as noticeable because he has so many responsibilities. He has a major role in pass coverage, he has primary contain on all running plays to his side, and he is not given a lot of opportunities to blitz.

Maybe they're right. It really does make a difference when a player has a lot of responsibilities, rather than just being able to freelance and get to the QB or RB. I'm hoping that Hawk can be turned loose more often as the season goes on.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think my sig says what i think about hawk i recon he could be as good as ray lewis at LB i know lewis plays in the middle but i think hawk could do it just as well if barnet was to be injured as for fallen off the map thats just silly

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the coaches are giving him other roles, and letting Barrnet and Poppi do most of the dirty work so to speak..

and my reason for that?? he just doesnt seem to be flying around like last year

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wish sanders would blitz aj more!

I'd like to see more blitzes by Hawk and some by Atari Bigby. Really screw up the Quarterback of our opponents. He already knows the front four is going to get a push. He'll be scared to take the ball from the center if he sees Bigby or Hawk coming too.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

I'd like to see more blitzes by Hawk and some by Atari Bigby. Really screw up the Quarterback of our opponents. He already knows the front four is going to get a push. He'll be scared to take the ball from the center if he sees Bigby or Hawk coming too.

i thought that blitzing was one of the resposabilities of the Will LB

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the coaches are giving him other roles, and letting Barrnet and Poppi do most of the dirty work so to speak..

and my reason for that?? he just doesnt seem to be flying around like last year

i know aj replaces brady in the 4-2-5 defense

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:

i thought that blitzing was one of the resposabilities of the Will LB

It seems like it used to be, but this year they're blitzing Barnett and Poppinga a lot more than Hawk. They don't seem to be utilizing Hawk's talents to the fullest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts