where is rodgers among all time greats?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I never made a QB list. It's just too tough. And people have their personal favorites anyway.

I have seen Colts and Pats fans go at it for years on forums about Brady/Manning. And why bother at times. Both will go down in history as all time greats no matter what. They are a lot like Bird/Magic to me. I don't care if Brady is higher in people's rankings either or some think Manning should be low. Whatever you know?

If Aaron repeats though this year then watch out. He will quickly climb people's lists. Repeating by the age of 28 is good stuff.

Overall just sit back and enjoy all these great QBs when they are playing. Brees might not be a favorite with many Packers fans right now but he is still worth watching and enjoying.

I do think Unitas should be on any list though. And Montana I would probably put first. I think many will always put Montana first.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I seen a list some years ago that was fairly accurate. it was the 100 greatest QB's of all time, and it had stats to everybody and why they were so high. I don't think it's on the net anymore, but it was the best list I ever seen. It had Unitas as Number 1, and then Montana at number 2. The top 10 was mostly Unitas, Montana, Favre, Moon, Aikman, Staubach, Young, and I can't remember the others. The list created controvery among both Colts AND Pats fans because both Brady and Manning were not in the top 10 (Manning was 11th I think, and Brady 12th or 13th). But the list was very good.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I seen a list some years ago that was fairly accurate. it was the 100 greatest QB's of all time, and it had stats to everybody and why they were so high. I don't think it's on the net anymore, but it was the best list I ever seen. It had Unitas as Number 1, and then Montana at number 2. The top 10 was mostly Unitas, Montana, Favre, Moon, Aikman, Staubach, Young, and I can't remember the others. The list created controvery among both Colts AND Pats fans because both Brady and Manning were not in the top 10 (Manning was 11th I think, and Brady 12th or 13th). But the list was very good.

Colts and Pats fans can become such rabid fan boys LOL. It's funny at times though.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Colts and Pats fans can become such rabid fan boys LOL. It's funny at times though.

LOL yes it is! I would put both Brady and manning in a top 20, but I wouldn't put them in the top 5. I did a list a while back on another site and it was mostly older quarterbacks that none of the younger people knew of, they thought my list sucked lol

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
LOL yes it is! I would put both Brady and manning in a top 20, but I wouldn't put them in the top 5. I did a list a while back on another site and it was mostly older quarterbacks that none of the younger people knew of, they thought my list sucked lol

Pats/Colts forum debates on Manning/Brady have given me headaches in the past. And they are still going on believe it or not despite the Colts season. "See Pats fans see. Without Peyton look at us. Without Brady 11-5 boom. roasted." "Well shut up Colts fan 3 ringz 3 ringzzzzzz."

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score

I think you could put Manning and or Brady in the top 5 greatest of all time. The consistent dominance and high level play Brady has had is very impressive especially when you consider not having a lot of carry over from season to season in terms of players on his team and still playing at a high level and winning Superbowls Then having that knee injury in 2008 and coming back the next year and posting another very good season, plus a 2x MPV, 2x SB MVP, 3x SB champion. One of the best seasons in NFL history for a QB in 2007. I think one could definitely justify putting Brady in the top 5.

And, IMO Brady can easily play for another 3-4 years at this level

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think you could put Manning and or Brady in the top 5 greatest of all time. The consistent dominance and high level play Brady has had is very impressive especially when you consider not having a lot of carry over from season to season in terms of players on his team and still playing at a high level. Then having that knee injury in 2008 and coming back the next year and posting another very good season, plus a 2x MPV, 2x SB MVP, 3x SB champion. One of the best seasons in NFL history for a QB in 2007. I think one could definitely justify putting Brady in the top 5.

And, IMO Brady can easily play for another 3-4 years at this level

I'd put him in the top 10, but not the top 5, that's just me though. I think the quarterbacks from the older eras of stricter rules deserve it more than Brady, the winners without the tuck rule and all the bogus roughing the passer calls this season.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'd put him in the top 10, but not the top 5, that's just me though. I think the quarterbacks from the older eras of stricter rules deserve it more than Brady, the winners without the tuck rule and all the bogus roughing the passer calls this season.

Perhaps. But I don't think it would matter if the rules were different. I think one of the most underrated qualities of Brady is his toughness, I think he could play like he does now regardless of era.

I'm not saying he should be in the top 5, but you could definitely make a case for it.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with all these "top 10" thingees is, as a couple others have pointed out, they tend to be modern-era-centric.
The QB's in the 30's-50's had fewer games and passing didn't come into vogue until the rise of Don Hutson. But Arnie Herber and Cecil Isbel threw to Hutson to set all those records. One of Don Hutson's records stayed until Jerry Rice broke it. So were these two Packers QB's among the 10 best? They should be. But if you asked the starters of the poll, they likely wouldn't know who they were.
There have been many great passers. I pause to mention Brett Favre. Holder of many NFL records, but possessor of a fatal flaw, throwing key interceptions. Is Favre the greatest? The record book says so. But he's won one Super Bowl and lost another, and his interceptions in NFC championship games kept the Packers and Vikings out of the Super Bowl.
I count great QB's as those who possess championships. As Herm Edwards says, "you play to win the games!"
With that in mind, my greatest QB is Bart Starr, who won five championships, two Super Bowl MVP's. Starr would be followed by Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw, each with four championships. I would follow them with John Unitas. Though Unitas didn't win championships, his career is a highlight film, like Favre's, without the interceptions. During the 60's, only Unitas could challenge Starr. I would also say Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman from the Cowboys. Elway, Brady have won Super Bowls. Marino, Manning, and Fouts are also in the mix. Steve Young is also a consideration. As someone pointed out Otto Graham and Bob Waterfield also should be mentioned and Y.A. Tittle. With Tittle in mind, this weekend is the 50th anniversary of the Packers championship over the Giants.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is quite foolish to put aaron rodgers in a top all time list. He is not even close to being there.

The real question that should be asked is.... does aaron rodgers have the potential to be a top 10 qb of all time? The answer to that, IMO, is yes. Rodgers has potential to be a top 5 qb, even a GOAT.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts