Where I am at..Where the fan base maybe going

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
So here we are, week 4 2-2 and just as in the days following Favres departure and Trade we have a house divided. Constant bickering from all concerned and childish jealousy abound.
Let me fill everyone in on a little back round the previous 3 seasons I was blogging on TSN and had a small all be it following but the hate and bickering got me down. I decided to check out the soon to be no more news.net and then Julies world. Some of you know what happened there that summer and some of you saw what to date was some of the most obscene posting I had ever seen.
I ran into Ironman by chance who was also kind of starting a small temp forum. We hit off and he gave me some direction. I decided I wanted some control and a place to write and so I started toward what is now the HQ.
I started my own forum so I could kind of have my old gang and a way to well express my own highs and lows of the packers without being told I was an idiot or "your not a fan"
My point is that I now see daily more and more the same kind of division and hate talk we saw that summer... there are folks getting extreme pleasure out of this and most are not packer fans and never will be.
But let me put this all in perspective. Next time your all upset or totally ready to blow think about this...
I was with my wife at the oncologists Monday. She was hooked up in the room getting treatment when I spotted a 12 year old ******* the far end with a Packers sweat shirt on. I went over found out her name was Tammy and her family moved down here from the Oshkosh area last year and was on her third treatment.
She was excited about the game and was a Favre fan but also wanted the Packers to win.She said that she wanted to fight her Cancer so she could see her Packers win a Super bowl.
I chatted a bit and was going down the hall for a bottled water a short time later when a blond lady approached me I had seen earlier. It was Tammy's mother who told me that talking Packers meant a lot to her and thank you.
I then found out that Tammy's cancer is advanced and they gave her maybe 6 months to live. So here is this 12 year old girl who dearly loves her Packers but won't be here to see that Super bowl. Next time you think that A is full of #@! or so is not a fan ......for Tammy guys just don't.
Thanks for listening.

Agent_Nothing

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool story. I don't hate people for liking Brent Farr, I just see him as a trader though. All in all, Go Pack! No need for fights over this mess. He'll retire soon enough, and the viks will be screwed without a decent QB again.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll retire soon enough, and the viks will be screwed without a decent QB again.

Again, I don't understand this mindset where some denigrate another team to justify their team's ineptness. I'm not saying you can't do it, but I guess I've never understood this type of reasoning because it intentionally sweeps the real argument under the rug.

The reasons I love Brett Favre regardless of where he plays is because he provides that phenomenon called "hope". Hope is a highly underrated and great thing.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their freedom of speech...that being said I "hope" Favre chokes a big one this year becuase he is a trader and nothing more to me. GO PACK!

Agent_Nothing

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reasons I love Brett Favre regardless of where he plays is because he provides that phenomenon called "hope". Hope is a highly underrated and great thing.

Then you, sir, should not be able to call yourself a Packers Fan. Or if you do, you're a very confused one.:viksux::viksux::viksux:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then you, sir, should not be able to call yourself a Packers Fan. Or if you do, you're a very confused one.:viksux::viksux::viksux:

This is a classic example of where things have gone horribly, horribly wrong. People with your thought processes force some like me to "choose" between "the good side" and "the dark side" and I'm continually asking "why"??? Why am I suddenly having my fanhood questioned for supporting a man who's had a significantly positive effect on my life - and millions of others as well? People quit jobs and get fired everyday. It happens. Get over it or you will continue to wallow in self-pity and misery, which is a one-way ticket to unhappiness.

Think about it, people!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a classic example of where things have gone horribly, horribly wrong. People with your thought processes force some like me to "choose" between "the good side" and "the dark side" and I'm continually asking "why"??? Why am I suddenly having my fanhood questioned for supporting a man who's had a significantly positive effect on my life - and millions of others as well? People quit jobs and get fired everyday. It happens. Get over it or you will continue to wallow in self-pity and misery, which is a one-way ticket to unhappiness.

Think about it, people!
The way I see it there are degrees of fanhood.

You cheer for the Packers only, and hate the rivals? Great fan.

You cheer for the Packers, but like Brett Favre, and cheer for him to do well, but when he plays the Packers, you cheer solely for the Packers? Fan.

You cheer for the Packers, but like Brett Favrem and cheer for him to do well, and when he plays the Packers, cheer for him to win? Bad Fan.

You cheer against the Packers, and for a rival, all the time? Not a fan.

That's my concept for now. I vary it, depending on what I see and feel, but it's basically it. I myself will never cheer for a rival, independent on who's playing there. /and will keep rooting for the Packers, no matter how they play. But I'm more confortable with Favre fans now. The reasonable ones, I mean.

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi

Think about it, people!

Because he's had a significantly negative effect on your team. I'm a Pack fan because I love the Packers. I was a Favre fan until he went to the Vikings. Hell I even rooted for him when he was a jet. Yes I think he's a good player, but I don't support him anymore. It's the same with Adrian Peterson. Do I think he's a good player? Yes. Do I like the guy? Yes. Do I support him? No. He's a Viking. Enough Said.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I only root for guys wearing Green and Gold with a G on their helmet. Doesn't matter if your BF or won us a zillion championships. You go to another team, your not a Green Bay Packer anymore and therefore I no longer care or root for you. And if you go to play for a rival cause your pride was hurt, your dead to me.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only root for guys wearing Green and Gold with a G on their helmet. Doesn't matter if your BF or won us a zillion championships. You go to another team, your not a Green Bay Packer anymore and therefore I no longer care or root for you. And if you go to play for a rival cause your pride was hurt, your dead to me.

My exact thoughts :viksux::chisux::detsux:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it there are degrees of fanhood.

You cheer for the Packers only, and hate the rivals? Great fan.

You cheer for the Packers, but like Brett Favre, and cheer for him to do well, but when he plays the Packers, you cheer solely for the Packers? Fan.

You cheer for the Packers, but like Brett Favrem and cheer for him to do well, and when he plays the Packers, cheer for him to win? Bad Fan.

You cheer against the Packers, and for a rival, all the time? Not a fan.

That's my concept for now. I vary it, depending on what I see and feel, but it's basically it. I myself will never cheer for a rival, independent on who's playing there. /and will keep rooting for the Packers, no matter how they play. But I'm more confortable with Favre fans now. The reasonable ones, I mean.

Sure, I can understand where you are coming from. So, from your point of view, I guess I am more of a fan of NFL football as opposed to a Green Bay fan.

I guess somewhere along the way I realized that NFL football is really nothing more than a business. I see various Green Bay teams made up of almost 100 percent of players NOT from Wisconsin and probably 95% of players that didn't go to college in Wisconsin. Most that play for Green Bay would never consider living in Wisconsin and most never stick around in Wisconsin when they retire. Also, Wisconsin has a substantial state income tax, so I would assume 100% of Packers players are advised NOT to change their residency to Wisconsin. So, I guess I need some explanations on why I should be exclusively devoted to the Green Bay Packers??? Other than the revenue they generate for the state, I can think of very few reasons.

I think another big reason I am a Favre fan more than ever is because he represents the American Dream: Nobody tells him that he cannot play - he follows his heart and does what he wants. This is one of the core fundamental principles America was founded on - the pursuit of happiness. I also love the hell outta the fact that many attempt to denigrate his play, yet he wins wherever he goes. I think that at some point, people have to realize that after 18 years, luck is pretty much a non-factor and that you've gotta learn to see a "pattern" developing here.

Finally, I've got a few more years to follow Brett and the rest of my remaining life to follow Green Bay.:happy0005:

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
Sure, I can understand where you are coming from. So, from your point of view, I guess I am more of a fan of NFL football as opposed to a Green Bay fan.

I guess somewhere along the way I realized that NFL football is really nothing more than a business. I see various Green Bay teams made up of almost 100 percent of players NOT from Wisconsin and probably 95% of players that didn't go to college in Wisconsin. Most that play for Green Bay would never consider living in Wisconsin and most never stick around in Wisconsin when they retire. Also, Wisconsin has a substantial state income tax, so I would assume 100% of Packers players are advised NOT to change their residency to Wisconsin. So, I guess I need some explanations on why I should be exclusively devoted to the Green Bay Packers??? Other than the revenue they generate for the state, I can think of very few reasons.

I think another big reason I am a Favre fan more than ever is because he represents the American Dream: Nobody tells him that he cannot play - he follows his heart and does what he wants. This is one of the core fundamental principles America was founded on - the pursuit of happiness. I also love the hell outta the fact that many attempt to denigrate his play, yet he wins wherever he goes. I think that at some point, people have to realize that after 18 years, luck is pretty much a non-factor and that you've gotta learn to see a "pattern" developing here.

Finally, I've got a few more years to follow Brett and the rest of my remaining life to follow Green Bay.:happy0005:

So you're a fair weather fan/bandwagoner? Also I think where a player comes from should have nothing to do with why you like or don't like a team. Matthews comes from Cali. Who cares? He's a Packer. He's part of MY team.

I don't ever remember people saying that Favre wins because he's lucky. I think it's pretty much established that Favre is a great player. He's just a traitor.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Definition of a "Fan"

Packers are one of the teams I enjoy immensely to watch, - I also "root" for a few other teams (both in the NFC as well as the AFC), and have done that for years ... - To say that some people "are not fans" simply because they don't wish ill on other teams/players or to call the "fair weather" and/or "band-wagon fans" doesn't hold much water in my opinion ...

I've spent alot of money on Packers merchandise over the years (and also other teams), and whenever I've had the opportunity to attend a game at Lambeau, I've taken that opportunity as well ...

Mostly when people ask me, I say I'm a fan of the NFL (and a few select teams also). - It really doesn't bother me what people call me, because fact is, in the end, I enjoy watching the games immensely (and given my time zone that means I have to stay up very late lol, luckily since I'm a restaurant manager, I don't have to get up "early" ...)

And yes I also have a few "favourite" players, both past and present ... But that doesn't mean I necessarily "root" for the team they play on, but I do however, enjoy watching them play every week, and "rejoice" when they are playing good, regardless.

Packers will always be "special" to me, because (as I stated in my first post on these boards), Lambeau was were I had my very first NFL experience (and I've been hooked on NFL ever since), and I've followed them (Packers) ever since, but I'm not a "fanatic" Packers fan, but never the less I do consider myself a fan (among others) of the Packers ... - People may disagree or not, still doesn't change that fact imho ...

Going back to Monday Night, I found myself in a "win-win" situation ... and thus to me it was a GREAT game too watch, regardless of the outcome, and also reminded me that (the game itself - not the media hype surrounding it - which I kinda "loathe") this is why I love NFL ...

People may call me a "fair weather" fan or "Band wagon" fan, - doesn't really matter to me, I still enjoy the games, and reading boards like these, because every post (no matter for or against) shows me people who love the game (and their respective teams) and I can't fault anyone for doing that ... because in the end ... it keeps NFL "alive" and enables us to watch and follow "our" teams and players ...

I mean ... how boring would message boards be if all people stuck to the boards of their respective teams ? - Seriously ... I think most will agree with me on this one ... - A large part of what keeps message boards alive are discussions where people disagree ... Granted some people are able to contain their arguements better than others, but hey, that's why the moderators are here ... :happy0005:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hauschild...

Brett isnt from Wi, nor did he stay here in the offseason..The minute the season was over he FLEW right away back home..

How many players stay in Gb the offseason? Since your on your high horse about players not staying here, then you must know which ones stay and what ones dont..I know of a few that do, so you must too?

Also you are aware that the players have to pay tax on the states they play in?

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LTF, you didn't know Favre went to Wisconsin for 1 year, along with Paul Hornung and Bart Starr. The all great Wisconsin alumni.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hauschild...

Brett isnt from Wi, nor did he stay here in the offseason..The minute the season was over he FLEW right away back home..

How many players stay in Gb the offseason? Since your on your high horse about players not staying here, then you must know which ones stay and what ones dont..I know of a few that do, so you must too?

Also you are aware that the players have to pay tax on the states they play in?

Yes, that was my point about pouring your heart and soul into an NFL team - they really have no other allegiances besides a contract. So, while I choose to be a Packers fan, it is certainly just as acceptable to follow a specific player.

As far as players that retire in Wisconsin, your guess is as good as mine, but I'd say it is less than 10%.

And, with respect to which state players choose to be a resident of, I would assume players' agents would suggest those states with little to no income tax, like Florida, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts