1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Where does Thompson rank as far as GMs go?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Feb 13, 2013.

1. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    He does a great job managing our salary cap (compared to the Steelers/Ravens situation this off season).
    He does a great job finding late round/undrafted players that can contribute.
    He usually gets us a couple impact players early in the draft.

I'd say he's top 5, easily.... plus, doesn't hurt when he keeps owning Belichick in the draft (GregJennings/Casey Hayward > ChadJackson/whoever else The Pats drafted)

2. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Wolf's strong suit wasn't first round picks either IMO. Players like Hawk, Bulaga, and Raji may not be busts, but they aren't up to the expectation considering how high they were drafted - Hawk especially. And Raji really irritates me because I had great hope for him in terms of toughness, but instead he is just a big blubbery finesse player. Sure, players drafted that high are gonna be contributors most of the time, but a "great" GM ought to get a little bit better percentage of star quality players - or else pay a little bit for some free agents (rarely). Otherwise, you end up with a mediocre team - much like our current O Line and D Line.

3. PackMan13x

PackMan13x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +132
    Let's be honest here. If DeSean Jackson doesn't make that miracle punt return against the Giants in 2010, we miss the playoffs that year and are 1-3 in the playoffs in the Rodgers era. We need to make some major improvements before we piss away Rodgers' prime. The defense is atrocious and the O-line is below average at best. Hopefully this changes soon before we have another top QB of all time with 1 ring.

• Old Old x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    I also disagree with this assessment. It's been broken down a bit by success versus bust comparison, we've done a study on draft successes and used a different approach. We attempted to break down each selection's relative worth on a scale of 0-5 with 3 being an average starter - i.e. A.J. Hawk - and 6 being PB or All-Pro selections.

In the first round - TT has selected 3 PB's in Rodgers, Raji, and Clay, 1 5-star in Bulaga (my subjective ranking of him), and A.J. Hawk. His only bust is Harrell. He averages a 4.5 level talent in 6 total selections.

Second round - 2 PB's in Jennings and Collins, and 1 5-star in Jordy. His worst selections were Brohm, Pat Lee, and Terrance Murphy (b/c of his injury). His average is 2.89 over 9 selections.

3rd round - James Jones, JMike, and Colledge. Pretty good hauls. Average is 2.8 on 6 picks.

You can see the full breakdown and spreadsheet here if you'd like: http://wp.me/p29VCs-7I
    (Remember, this was done last year, so rankings still need to be adjusted for this season. For example, I'm thinking Crosby doesn't deserve that 4-ranking anymore :mad:)

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,113
    And if Rodgers hits Jennings against AZ we could won another playoff game. See I can play this game too.

It's a stupid game isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Some of that is just plain bad luck, this season 3 out of his last 3 first round picks are out on injured reserve. two of them being tackles. Collins is another case of drafting a great talent and then having bad luck. I also like TT's philosophy of drafting BAP, There was definitely some luck having Aroge fall to him, but as was stated earlier, he already had a legend for a QB who had just taken them to the NFC Championship game, so you have to give him credit for seeing the value in Aroge and grabbing him. FA's are for the most part overrated and will catch up to you in your CAP. Keep grabbing the young talent and hope for less bad luck.

7. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    I like your sheet. I've thought about moving to a ranking system, similar to yours, but your final statement is what keeps me from doing it. I don't want to have to re-rank players throughout their careers. It's hard enough to get people to agree on successes or busts, let alone smaller increments of success. There is sound rationale for both methodologies

8. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,431
    Why does everyone constantly repeat this misconception?

If DeSean Jackson doesn't make that miracle punt return, assuming everything else is the same, the Eagles finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs entirely, and the Giants take their spot, and we still get the 6th seed at 10-6. It took me about 20 seconds to find this information and another 10 seconds to figure it out in my head.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/year/2010

I have heard this line a million times, and it's still just as factually incorrect every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,113
    Anyone who makes it seem like it was a gimme to draft Rodgers for the packer has limited memory.

Lets go back to that draft and remember how Favre and his minions were in an uproar that he would disrespect the legend by not drafting a skill position. Looking back it makes perfect sense. But at the time the move had a wide range of opinions.

10. Pacal

Pacal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47
    What do y'all think of Thompson hiring Mike McCarthy over Sean Payton?

11. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58
    I guess it is factually wrong about the Packers not making the playoffs without Jackson's return, but I still wholeheartedly agree with your last 3 lines.

12. Passepartout

Passepartout August Preseason!

Ratings:
    +21
    Well he should be in the top GM five. As he has done a great job. Plus GB has also really owned by the people not a President but the people that love this team as the only team ran by fans alone!

13. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Hate to be a homer but in my opinion he's #1.

I understand he's only got that one ring, but I like him for his overall philosophy. Thompson rarely ever makes a decision that I wouldn't myself and when he does he turns out to be right and I'm wrong.

I was in the minority when Thompson got here. I liked him right away. I agreed with how he drafted and handled the whole Rodgers Favre deal.

I think Thompson will still get at least one more ring with Rodgers and probably would have gotten another already if not for our constant injuries. Which is how the game works but when you have all these injuries and still manage to have a successful season it speaks to the depth Thompson has had year in and year out.

Everybody here has already went over his strengths. I'll leave that alone except one more thing: youth. The main key to all of Green Bay's success.

EDIT: Is it not slightly remarkable that on the day of Charles Woodson's release we are commenting on this thread all with high remarks about Thompson? I am confident he could release Aaron Rodgers and immediately some of us would come on here defending the decision and reciting the ole "trust in TT" saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    You blame Ted for not building us a good enough "defense and O-line" and then YOU GO AHEAD AND BLAME HIM FOR "PISSING AWAY" AARON RODGERS PRIME?!? HELLO! He drafted Aaron when pretty much nobody wanted him. He found that golden nugget that you are blaming him for wasting.

I'm sorry dude you can't have it both ways. You either take the 1 Super Bowl we've gotten so far, the 74-38 record and Aaron Rodgers or you leave it all.

15. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58
    I was in that same minority in TTs early years. I'm now coming to the conclusion that even though his era with the Packers has been pretty good, it might have been a lot better if he was slightly less of a tightwad. I never bought into the concept of spending big money for other teams' free agents, but I'm coming around to the view that a little of that - a little bit more than Thompson has seen fit to do - would be helpful.

16. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Sometimes I think the soft may be taught to them by the coaches, then I remember who the coaches are and who else they coached and it makes no sense to me

No problem with it, they both are great coaches. You can argue that Payton is "better" but you can also argue McCarthy is a better "fit." I don't think AR becomes AR without MM.

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,113
    You also have the bounties issue with Payton and his pill problem. The bounties would have had him run out of town.

18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    Now that you mention it, he could. He would have to pull off one heck of a deal though. Trade Rodgers to SF for LaMichael James, Patrick Willis, and Justin Smith while also getting Matt Flynn back from Seattle. That's realistic, right? :whistling:

19. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +486

That remake hit me also. NOT LOMBARDI ----IT WAS VAINISI

20. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,113
    Favre only has 1 ring bc he liked to throw INTs in the playoffs at an ungodly rate. 1 title during his tender clearly falls on his shoulders. The SB loss you can disperse blame in several areas.

21. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58
    Get 'em to throw in Kaepernick and maybe you got a deal hahaha.

22. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    I hope that you're talking about Kaepernick as a stud backup!

23. Packer Fan in SD

Packer Fan in SD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    For everyone worried we are wasting the prime years of AR, after the release today of Saturday, the only player on this team over 30 is Pickett at 33. Young and still loaded, lets let this one play out a bit before we make final judgement. I can't wait to see what happens this offseason and really can't wait for the draft.

24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,113
    Rodgers is suddenly a vet on this team

25. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Crazy to think he is the 4th oldest player on the team! That bodes well for this team's future.