When Our Favorite Players Are Cut....

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year, players are cut for all kinds of reasons -- health, age, salary, need. And every year, someone's favorite player is the one to get the bad news.

Has there been a time when your favorite player is let go -- right out of the blue?? If so, who was it?

For me, I remember that one of the very first things that Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren did was to cut Mark Murphy. I remember him as always being around the ball and, though getting up there in age after playing 11 years, was a solid piece of the defensive backfield. I was shocked to hear that he had been cut -- not knowing that his replacement was already being groomed -- one of a long line of outspoken DBs from Florida State and was ready to make the move from Corner to Safety -- Leroy Butler.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Icant go back far, bt AHMAN GREEN! Hes so awsome and fast. I still am mad about it but I'm starting to die down.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant go back far, but AHMAN GREEN! Hes so awsome and fast. I still am mad about it but I'm starting to die down.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon Walker, he was my favirote player at the time but then he took a big dump on us and went to the Broncos :sad: . Some people might turn this into it was TT's fault but really it was just bad luck with Javon getting hurt otherwise he still would be here anyways lets not turn it into a TT discussion.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pretty pissed when McKenzie got cut/traded I can't remember which.

Also when Sharper got relaced I was pretty angry for a few days. He was probably my fav. defensive player at the time.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year, players are cut for all kinds of reasons -- health, age, salary, need. And every year, someone's favorite player is the one to get the bad news.

Has there been a time when your favorite player is let go -- right out of the blue?? If so, who was it?

For me, I remember that one of the very first things that Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren did was to cut Mark Murphy. I remember him as always being around the ball and, though getting up there in age after playing 11 years, was a solid piece of the defensive backfield. I was shocked to hear that he had been cut -- not knowing that his replacement was already being groomed -- one of a long line of outspoken DBs from Florida State and was ready to make the move from Corner to Safety -- Leroy Butler.

James Lofton. I was pissed when we traded him to the Raiders. He ended up having two miserable years, then a successful career in Buffalo, getting one more Pro Bowl and playing in two Super Bowls.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmad Carroll for me...he really HELD the team together! :rotflmao:

Whoo, just had a cheesey moment!

Woodson_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't to sad, but just the way it happened for me. When Javon Walker got traded during the the draft I was sitting next to my best friend who is a bronco fan, that wasn't fun at all.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmad Carroll for me...he really HELD the team together! :rotflmao:

Whoo, just had a cheesey moment!
Hey.....what a coincidence! I have those ALL the time!!!! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:
One of the toughest things for me was.......(and i hope no one gets mad at me).........when Reggie White retired. It wasn't his retirement that got to me, it was seeing him then turn around and join up with Carolina. I hated seeing him in that Panther's uniform.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ One of the toughest things for me was.......(and i hope no one gets mad at me).........when Reggie White retired. It wasn't his retirement that got to me, it was seeing him then turn around and join up with Carolina. I hated seeing him in that Panther's uniform.

I would have to agree. Considering all he did for the franchise, the city and the organization, the way he was somewhat forced to retire from Green Bay left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the Packers could have treated Reggie a lot better. Apparently Reggie's wife hasn't forgiven the Packers yet. Sad ending to a marvelous story.

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my favs always seem to go....Mckenzie, Sharper, Walker......i honestly thought Green would still be here for a while.....i was kinda sad about that

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not so much being cut, but Sterling Sharpe having to retire due to his injured neck. The guy is easily in the Top 3 all-time best recievers in Packers history behind Hutson and James Lofton, and probably would've won a SB in '96 with the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts