When is a Player Drafted a Bust?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your approach is fine if you're interested in the player's development but that doesn't do the Packers any good if that happens with another team.

Both approaches are 100% valid, depends on the parameters of what you're discussing for sure. Agree

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny. Jordan Love was drafted as a college Junior with zero off-season snaps due to covid protocols (historic anomaly) and sat behind the best QB in the history of the game.. and yet some of y’all think he should be designated our #2 QB to make you feel better about him as a Day 1 pick?
That Jordan depth chart poke always had a hint of desperation in its fiber (cough cough covid sneeze!) :laugh:
I guess for me? It’s just such a predictable slight on someone. Like that’s the best you got? Really
Oh I'm not one of those, i was referring to others that have already labelled him as garbage.

IMO it made sense that he was third QB last season, he at least needed proper practise time before being backup to AR

Reaction score
IMO it made sense that he was third QB last season, he at least needed proper practise time before being backup to AR
Right on that makes logical sense. Here’s to hoping Love has another solid performance. He could really use a solid back to back performance here against Buffalo. I’d like to see him throw from his feet more. Imo he could limit his jump throws and stay yoked using better footwork, it’s limiting his velocity. He reminds me so much of young gunslinger as they both have some improviser in their blood. Jump throws, throws across the grain, throws 30+yard ropes into doubles.. the only thing I haven’t seen is those short, underhand flick throws Favre was so good at.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's subjective. Obviously guys like Sherrod I think of as being a bust, but that's not entirely fair because of his injury. I think if a draft pick is not working hard to overcome their issues then they're a bust, ex Justin Harrell, coming in out of shape despite his injury. Jamarcus Russell being an obvious example of probably the worst bust in the history of the NFL. Didn't put in the work to play in the NFL. The combination of lazy and draft capital I think is probably the best way to classify busts.

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't bad, but I think you're expecting maybe a little too much, if only because of how few players can be HOF/AllPros. Only so many slots to go around each year. If you shifted it up slightly (1st rounder as pro-bowlers, 2nd rounders are starters, etc) I think you're closer. I'm actually curious if there is a correlation between draft position and HOF rate and/or if that changes by position. Hey Cap, got an afternoon?
I agree, I guess you'd have to split the 1st round at least in two parts. The top ten where you pretty much expect a yearly Pro Bowl type of player and the rest of the 1st round, where you're still hoping for that kind of career, but it's apparent that a prospect has at least some warts or not the super huge upside.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most positions I'd give 3 years. TE is a bust after the second year of their second contract. QB is a bust after year 3 or 4 depending on how raw they were coming out of college (i.e., Lamar Jackson gets more time than Jameis Winston). Generally you want a guy that can contribute positively for at least half their rookie deal.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny. Jordan Love was drafted as a college Junior with zero off-season snaps due to covid protocols (historic anomaly) and sat behind the best QB in the history of the game.. and yet some of y’all think he should be designated our #2 QB to make you feel better about him as a Day 1 pick?
That Jordan depth chart poke always had a hint of desperation in its fiber (cough cough covid sneeze!) :laugh:
I guess for me? It’s just such a predictable slight on someone. Like that’s the best you got? Really

I'm fine with "J-Lo" as a number 2. It's an upgrade from the likes of Brett Hunley and Graham Harrell and Scott Tolzien and Seneca Wallace, etc., etc.

Members online

Latest posts