What would you consider a success in 2014?

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers fans are not spoiled we have had 25 years of HoF QBs and only have two super bowls to show for it. 7 seasons of Rodgers alone and one in done in every playoff appearance except 2010. More like tortured with all the underachieving.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sky is the limit if this team catches a break from the injury bug.

Which is why I'm not too concerned with the lack of FA activity. Luck plays just as big a role sometimes.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers fans are not spoiled we have had 25 years of HoF QBs and only have two super bowls to show for it. 7 seasons of Rodgers alone and one in done in every playoff appearance except 2010. More like tortured with all the underachieving.
Ha Ha.
I guess you never lived through the 70's and 80's.:laugh:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packer fans have been tortured the last 25 years? That's a new one.

I'm not old enough to have lived through the 70s and 80s, but if recent Packer fans have been tortured, what did those fans to through?

I grew up watching lots of Favre's career. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and loved how nearly every single season the Packers had a chance. Nearly every season was fun and exciting despite what happened at the end of the year.

I've enjoyed the same with Rodgers. And last season's Packers was one of the most entertaining seasons I've ever season. Look at those last five games. Falcons game was very good. Cowboys was one of the best Packer games I've ever seen. The Steelers game was totally nuts at the end and there's nothing like winning the division on a 4th down play in Chicago. Plus, the playoff game was a good game too despite the outcome.

Would I have liked to see them win it all a few more times? Of course, but there is no way I could consider it torture by any means. I still get happy thinking about Super Bowl 45 and I'm sure Super Bowl 31 would too if I had more than a vague memory of it. I'm glad I've been a fan through all that time.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A success would be a team that contends for a title. A team that's had a legit shot to win it all.

They win the division and if they lose in the playoffs, I want it to be a highly competitive game.

There are no guarantees in the NFL that the best team will win it all (we all remember 2011) so I don't expect them to be the absolute best team nor do I care if they aren't, but they should be one of the teams who can win bring home the title.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Back in the 70s, I remember watching the Packers lose to the mighty Bears only 6-3 and thinking that things were looking good!

Yes, 6-3 was the final score.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must think Thompson has put together one-hell-of-a team and the D will be much improved. I hope you're right.

Because of your "participation trophy" comment I took you to mean only the team winning the Super Bowl is a success. I take it that's not what you mean.

No. I just meant that as a fan base we should start the season thinking "WE WILL WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!!"

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win the SB. Who honestly remembers anything less?

Hey, hey, you guys remember the year that we went 15-1 and got toasted our first round in the playoffs??

Who cares. What I do remember is that the Giants won the SB that year.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the posts, I can't help but think us Packers fans have become a bunch of spoiled brats.
I remember the days of being happy with an above .500 record and being really optimistic for the next year.

Not all Packer fans but certainly many. I've said it many times on this forum... most of the TT haters and guys that rag about not winning the SB every year are younger fans that don't even know what a few years of losing feels like much less decades of losing.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not all Packer fans but certainly many. I've said it many times on this forum... most of the TT haters and guys that rag about not winning the SB every year are younger fans that don't even know what a few years of losing feels like much less decades of losing.

Why not expect the Packers to win the Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched through the 70's and 80's and back then I would have been ecstatic with more than 2 division crowns in 20 years. Since then though they have become fairly common. Thus my expectations have been raised. With a top 5 QB and a top 5 offense for most of the past 20 years I am starting to become disappointed with but two Lombardi trophies and one other appearance. With all the hype and expectations, anything short of competing for the Halas is a poor season. I was OK with how this past season ended because of the injuries but barring that happening again it is almost SB or bust for the next few seasons. I am still waiting for the development phase to pay off consistently.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When would a sports fan EVER be deeply satisfied by just finishing above .500? To win a football season you win the Super Bowl, anything else, and you lost. To win a MLB season you win the World Series, anything less and you lost, etc, etc. Unless it's your first year of rebuilding and you go from 1-15 to 8-8, I cannot ever understand how any fan would draw any sort of satisfaction from that. Just my own personal "young" opinion.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am pretty optimistic. Team was only one play away last year from beating the niners. Niners are "getting old" and the Seahawks have lost a lot and running out of cap space. Our offensive line should kill it this years. If we get a linebacker and a safety that can play and contribute and of course "stay healthy" I think a super bowl run is in order.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just curious, but does that mean that older fans who watched a worse team are better fans? Not sure I agree with that logic. By that logic, people that live in third world countries are better than those in the developed world because they're happy if they have potable water to drink.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I generally go into every season with the expectation of a Super Bowl but sometimes that changes as things shake out.
Had you told me at this time last year that I would be happy with an 8-7-1 record in 2013, I would have thought that was crazy, but for everything that happened, for all the times that we flat-lined during the season, only to have the Bears and Lions hit us with the defibrillators multiple times, winning the division felt like our biggest accomplishment since the Super Bowl season.

Mike McCarthy told the team after the Steelers game that they had been eliminated from the playoffs. It was just a crazy season, and while I couldn't hardly tell you about a single game from the 15-1 season in 2011, the memories of an amazing comeback against Dallas and a 4th and 8 miracle will definitely stick with me for a long time. This division title means a little more than the others, I think.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12 wins; beating SEA + (NE or CAR); playing in NFC championship; Top 5 offense; Top 10 defense

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious, but does that mean that older fans who watched a worse team are better fans? Not sure I agree with that logic. By that logic, people that live in third world countries are better than those in the developed world because they're happy if they have potable water to drink.

no...not at all. I love young packer fans. just not spoiled fair weather ones. ...but I get why they are how they are.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When would a sports fan EVER be deeply satisfied by just finishing above .500? To win a football season you win the Super Bowl, anything else, and you lost. To win a MLB season you win the World Series, anything less and you lost, etc, etc. Unless it's your first year of rebuilding and you go from 1-15 to 8-8, I cannot ever understand how any fan would draw any sort of satisfaction from that. Just my own personal "young" opinion.

deeply satisfied? only a super bowl win would make me deeply satisfied.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched through the 70's and 80's and back then I would have been ecstatic with more than 2 division crowns in 20 years. Since then though they have become fairly common. Thus my expectations have been raised. With a top 5 QB and a top 5 offense for most of the past 20 years I am starting to become disappointed with but two Lombardi trophies and one other appearance. With all the hype and expectations, anything short of competing for the Halas is a poor season. I was OK with how this past season ended because of the injuries but barring that happening again it is almost SB or bust for the next few seasons. I am still waiting for the development phase to pay off consistently.

I agree 100%. ....fact is...they have been in the mix to "compete for the hallas" consistently for many years now.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will be lucky to win the division at the current state . If we do happen to win the division I'm not expecting a deep run in the playoffs as we still don't stack up against the Niners or sea Hawks...I'd even throw the Saints in there. Ah well . At least we still have Aaron Rodgers tho right?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will be lucky to win the division at the current state.

This is so preposterous. We all but handed the division to the Lions and Bears last year with all of our injuries and poor play in the middle of the season. Yet, we still beat Da Bears ON THE ROAD in the final game to win the division. I mean, if they can't win the division last season, why in the hell do you think they'll do it this season?!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts