What would you consider a success in 2014?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the griping I am reading on the forum, I want to know what you think is a success, and why?

Super Bowl or bust?
NFC championship?
Division title?

D

Deleted member 6794

Getting to the playoffs, anything's possible if the team gets hot at the right time.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always want a Super Bowl but that's unrealistic. With this team as currently constructed barring major injury again a division title is an absolute must. The Packers are better then every team in this division when healthy.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really impossible to answer right now. I considered 2013 a big success considering the injuries. Had they been healthy, I would not have considered it as much of a success.

I know what I consider "failing" and that's not winning the division. In the NFL, it's awfully hard to think that winning a division can't alone be considered a "success".

I guess if healthy, I would consider it a success if they at the very least win the division and get a first round home game.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Winning the division, and setting some kind of new positive team record. I'd take a division title since it means we beat our rivals and I like seeing them go down :)

H

HardRightEdge

10-6 with a playoff berth would be a decent year. Failure to provide indications the defense is on trajectory for a bona fide run in 2015 would be a disappointment regardless.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The real answer for me is “it depends”. If the team finally stays away from all the injuries its been experiencing my expectations will be playing in the NFC championship game. If Rodgers and Matthews, or 3/5ths of the OL for example, are out for multiple games my expectations will be lowered.

I know there’s a lot of gnashing of teeth about the extremely predictable opening of the FA signing period from the Packers perspective but as many have mentioned, we won’t know what the team will look like until well into TC. IOW, there is still plenty of time to acquire FAs. I recently watched the playoff game against SF again. If you have it recorded look at how the defense played in that game. Yes, I know it wasn’t good during the regular season, but without Clay and Shields and Neal the D stood up pretty well in that game. Of course it has to get better and as for expectations beyond their record, I expect the D to be improved. I also expect the OL to be better and that’s why, with Rodgers at QB all season, I expect them to get to the championship game.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the team stays relatively healthy I would probably be disappointed with anything short of making the NFC championship game. No reason this team shouldn't be able to go 12-4. Only teams that I would say have a decent shot at beating us, or should beat us, would be the Saints, Pats, Seahawks or Eagles. If we lose every one of those games we'd be 12-4. So I don't see why anything less than 12-4 would be acceptable (again, assuming relative health).

I mean we play, outside our division, the Falcons, Panthers, Pats, Jets, Eagles, Bucs, Saints, Bills, Dolphins and Seahawks. Looking at that schedule, why shouldn't we go 12-4?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming relative health, we should be positioned to make the NFC Championship game. With that being said, if we lose in the round before, but to a good team in a good game, I wouldn't necessarily consider the season a failure. At that point, you're playing the best of the best. Most games will be tight at that point. A close loss doesn't mean the team is bad and the season is a failure.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The goal is, as always, to win the Superbowl.

Success is hitting the playoffs, and having a team that I have confidence in. A team that can go against any other team and have a good shot of beating.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Super Bowl

Anybody who says anything less is the reason participation trophies are given to kids nowadays.
If success is only winning the SB, then every team in the history of the NFL is rarely successful. That is too narrow and dim of a view. The bottom line goal of any fan should be enjoyment of the game. Even in a losing effort, if the Packers played hard, were out gunned for circumstances out of their control - there is nothing wrong with being proud of your team and enjoying the games and the level of success they have achieved.

Personally, I would rather the Packer lose the SB but play an awesome exciting game, than for them to be a bunch of thugs and cheat and win. But that is just me. Yes I would be disappointed in lack of the ring, but there are more important things than victory.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If success is only winning the SB, then every team in the history of the NFL is rarely successful. That is too narrow and dim of a view. The bottom line goal of any fan should be enjoyment of the game. Even in a losing effort, if the Packers played hard, were out gunned for circumstances out of their control - there is nothing wrong with being proud of your team and enjoying the games and the level of success they have achieved.

Personally, I would rather the Packer lose the SB but play an awesome exciting game, than for them to be a bunch of thugs and cheat and win. But that is just me. Yes I would be disappointed in lack of the ring, but there are more important things than victory.

That's an excellent way to feel for yourself. But for me, I want to see my team win. I'm glad you're able to enjoy losing as long as it's exciting. There is no situation in which I would like to see the Packers lose an exciting Super Bowl.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Super Bowl

Anybody who says anything less is the reason participation trophies are given to kids nowadays.

Whatever. Like we keep saying... if you can't appreciate winning a division in the NFL and having a perenially winning team, you shouldn't be a fan. They don't give trophies for winning the division but seeing that banner fly in our house and not Chicago, is AWESOME.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever. Like we keep saying... if you can't appreciate winning a division in the NFL and having a perenially winning team, you shouldn't be a fan. They don't give trophies for winning the division but seeing that banner fly in our house and not Chicago, is AWESOME.

I'm not even concerned with Chicago. Just tired of watching the Packers lose to San Francisco or New York in the playoffs.

Why is it so hard to expect a Super Bowl when the Packers have the best QB in football, one of the best offenses in football, won a Super Bowl 4 year ago, went 15-1 three years ago and won the division the last two years?

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Super Bowl

IMO that's a bad analogy unless you view the Super Bowl loser in the same way you view a team that finished 2-14. Teams that go 15-1 and win consecutive division titles aren't just "participating", are they?

BTW, which franchise would you say has been the most successful over the past 10 or 20 seasons?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it so hard to expect a Super Bowl when the Packers have the best QB in football, one of the best offenses in football, won a Super Bowl 4 year ago, went 15-1 three years ago and won the division the last two years?

Why can't that same team be considered a success? What you just listed looks like a successful team by most measurements.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO that's a bad analogy unless you view the Super Bowl loser in the same way you view a team that finished 2-14. Teams that go 15-1 and win consecutive division titles aren't just "participating", are they?

BTW, which franchise would you say has been the most successful over the past 10 or 20 seasons?

Your opinion is your opinion. I expect a Super Bowl with this team.

Most successful last 15 years has to be New England. 5 Super Bowl appearances, three wins.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't that same team be considered a success? What you just listed looks like a successful team by most measurements.

I didn't say the same team can't be a success. I said "Why shouldn't I expect a Super Bowl" with those results the last four years? Is a Super Bowl too lofty an expectation? If Aaron Rodgers wasn't the quarterback and the Packers didn't make the playoffs the last five years I'd expect less. But that's not the case.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Your opinion is your opinion. I expect a Super Bowl with this team.
You must think Thompson has put together one-hell-of-a team and the D will be much improved. I hope you're right.

Because of your "participation trophy" comment I took you to mean only the team winning the Super Bowl is a success. I take it that's not what you mean.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
bare minimum is winning NFC north again. Other than that I have low expectations so that way I don't get as much of a let down later on. Beating the bears and vikes is a TOP priority and if we get the chance for fail mary revenge vs seaCawks, I want to see them beat.....but....killing the 49ers would top off the season for me.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Goal: Win the SB.
Success:
1. Division title, plus
2. Win a minimum of one playoff game, ideally not a wildcard game. Plus,
3. If GB does not make it to the SB, the losing battle should be close and, ideally, to the team that goes to the SB.

To me, that would show progress and be a successful season.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the posts, I can't help but think us Packers fans have become a bunch of spoiled brats.
I remember the days of being happy with an above .500 record and being really optimistic for the next year.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning a playoff game against a team that doesn't start Joe Webb at QB would be a success to me.

Members online