1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What Mike Mayock has to say about all 7 picks

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by izzyokay, Jun 8, 2010.

1. izzyokay

izzyokay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is from an interview with Mike Mayock about a month ago, but it was just posted today.

Green Bay Packers

2. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Mike Mayock was the color analyst for the Vikings in their preseason games. He's a vikings fan, be aware...

Cmon, the guy said that Jarrett Bush is the Packers' #4 corner... He said the Packers need a replacement to Kampman, even though Brad Jones, a rookie, played better than him. He knows a lot about the draft, but he's not up to date with every NFL team. Don't expect this kind of guy, a national media guy with not enough time to research every team, to tell you if your team is good or not...

3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Here's something I found interesting from Mayock:

I would love if the Packers put him at the pass rush at NT like the Cowboys have undersized Jay Ratliff.
    Ratliff is a guy that experts thought was undersized for the NT position in Dallas, yet he does a great job penetrating and getting to QBs. He reminds me of a less-talented John Randle.

If Neal can give us some of that, I'm thrilled. Rotate him and Raji there on passing downs. The DE position doesn't generate many sacks in a 3-4 historically, with Richard Seymour being the best I can remember in the past couple decades. That position typically just occupies blockers to free up the LBers. But the NT often can squeeze thru the C/OG, but we had none of that last year. Can Neal do it?

4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I want to add that you can't take offense to what Mayock said here either. That's the bottom line. Now the season will ultimately judge all, but he's not off-base here with these thoughts.

5. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    The Cowboys run a specialized version of the 3-4 where they have a pass rushing LB (Demarcus Ware) soaking up double teams to free up the inside guys like Ratliff or an opposite rusher like Anthony Spencer. But I agree, the Packers can certainly execute something similar like this by using Neal properly. We already have a beast in Clay Matthews who teams will gameplan for this season. With Neal playing as a pass rusher I'm sure we can really create some havoc for opposing offenses.

6. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Reports are that Neal will be used mainly as a DE... The Packers', contrary to Mayock, thought that Neal was a prototypical DE for their scheme...

7. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Put me down as one of those fans disappointed in not getting another outside pass rusher, but it may be that with the additions to the interior line, we will get some push up the middle to the QB. The Game has changed to Pass first, Run second both offensively and defensively; and if we don't pressure the QB better this year we're in trouble. I have memories of Cosell shouting " Down goes Favre. Down goes Favre!" Or was it Frazier?
    [​IMG]