What made you a Packers fan?

Champagne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

I briefly lived in Wisconsin during my Army career, but, the main reason is this: When your childhood coincides with the rise of the Vince Lombardi Era and your own family knows what it means to be a success as an Italian-American, your bound to get attached in a very personal way, to the Green Bay Packers.

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found a new? Packer fan. I would have suspected that the dude was a Giants fan
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Politicians are very fickle.
Found a new? Packer fan. I would have suspected that the dude was a Giants fan
Politicians are a fickle lot.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in 95 when I was 8 my grandfather (I was raised by my grandparents) let me stay up to watch a Packers primetime game, as he was a huge life long fan. My bedtime was normally 9 on school nights, and my grandmother was working, so she was not pleased when she arrived home from work lol. Anyway, the play of one man stood out, that man of course being Brett Favre. His child-like enthusiasm resignated with my 8 year old self. I became a huge fan that very day. All the while living in Bills country (distant 2nd favorite team) in upstate NY. The Packers won said game 27-24 over the Bears.

My grandfather died 3 years later, but we would watch every Packers game until heavens gates called his name. His picture hangs up on the wall behind my couch, so I like to think we still watch Packers games together to this very day. Those were some of the fondest memories I have of my grandpa. I will cherish them for the rest of my life.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good thread topic that seems to have taken a bad turn, somewhere down the line last spring. As a new member here are my thoughts.

What Makes Me a Packers Fan - Truthfully, I have and still am, to a mild extent a Miami Dolphins fan. However, that goes back to when I was ten years old waaay back in 1972.

The dawn of the Aaron Rodgers era in 2008 started to make the Packers more interesting to me. Favre had left and Rodgers was playing under the long shadows that remained. The way he handled the situation was excellent and consistent leading to the almost unexpected 2011 Superbowl run.

Rodgers has carried the Packers since their championship in that same consistent manner and I as a result of my admiration of this great quarterback I became a Packer fan, in addition to being a Rodgers fan.

Living in eastern Canada 461 miles away from the nearest NFL stadium in New England I had no local favorite, and it was not going to be the Patriots, as I liked the Dolphins.

In each of the past 10 years I have made trips to an NFL game, half the time in Tampa, as it made a nice warm weather trip, but also to New England, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Detroit.
The Detroit game I saw was vs the Packers on December 3, 2015. It was a game in which Green Bay started slowly, and then Aaron Rodgers and the Packers willed things to get moving in the 3rd quarter. Finally, after a penalty call on the last play of that game Rodgers launched a pass unlike I had ever seen thrown in a game. It was in many ways similer to a javelin throw. It was way up in the air, and heaved with all the energy its thrower could muster. Richard Rogers apparently reached up and caught the ball near my goal line seat. There were so many Lions in the way I didn't see the catch from my seat. There was some uncertainty with me as to which team caught the ball, but the ensuing celebration left no doubt the Packers had caught the ball.

This Motown Miracle that I witnessed further pushed my liking of the Packers team. Since then, yes, I seem to appreciate watching Rodgers and the Packers more and more.

In 2021 with all I have seen of the Packers in the Rodgers area, I can unequivocally say I love the Packers. Just finished watching them beat the Rams, and I have big hopes for them to have success in Super Bowl 55 in Tampa.

Go Pack!!
Wow, how fortunate to have a front row seat to the Motown Miracle, and yeah, that WAS like a javelin throw. Richard Rodgers played that ball very well. He turned around at the five yard line and started tracking the ball. He backpedaled into the end zone, jumped, and caught the ball in front of what seemed like a sea of Lion defenders. One of the greatest plays of Rodgers' illustrious career.

TosaFan76

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was an outsider. I moved to Milw from LA 3/1996. Football-starved, I latched on to the Packers from day 1 and was lucky enough to see them win back the Lombardi Trophy. I have so many Packer favorites. I left WI last summer to be closer to family (I'm old). But I will be a Packers fan until I die.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, how fortunate to have a front row seat to the Motown Miracle, and yeah, that WAS like a javelin throw. Richard Rodgers played that ball very well. He turned around at the five yard line and started tracking the ball. He backpedaled into the end zone, jumped, and caught the ball in front of what seemed like a sea of Lion defenders. One of the greatest plays of Rodgers' illustrious career.
He played it wrong. His job was to catch the carom off the other players, not make the catch. That is why he wasn't in the end zone to start with. Just a commentary or analysis I ran across a few weeks after the play.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played it wrong. His job was to catch the carom off the other players, not make the catch. That is why he wasn't in the end zone to start with. Just a commentary or analysis I ran across a few weeks after the play.
That's interesting, thanks. Well, I'm glad he played it wrong.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Dad played football in High School- was a starting fullback. He had three girls and no boys. I was the youngest and started watching the Packers with Him when I was 6 years old. I drove him crazy with all of my questions in the beginning but learned to love football because of Him. My Son is a huge Packer fan now because of Me. Unfortunately my Dad died when I was 16 but I continued loving and watching the Packers.

Packerpug

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?
What made me a Packer fan was the fans. They are the greatest in the world. When I go to a Packer game I feel I am coming home

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Step father is from Manitowoc. We lived in Florida but if a football game was on then it was the Packers or nothing, so I grew up a Packers fan...added benefit was that since Sunday Ticket wasn't around, we got to go to a lot of pizza joints/bars where they had satellite to watch the games. Also, since Tampa was in the division I grew up hating them which kinda sucks since I live in Tampa.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in 1980 a new Tv channel started in Uk & they showed NFL games on a Sunday afternoon. Usually the previous wekks Monday night game with highlights from that weekend. Then for some reason it stopped no idea why. Ok moving on to 1999/200 & the NFL made a comeback on another TV channel.

I liked the game & decided I needed a team to follow. I asked my American workmates who I should support & why. I did have some criteria. had to in the north & NO red.
I looked at Raiders but south. looked at new England as I live in England but they were winning everything & I'm no glory hound. Then I looked at Arizona but red & south. I looked at them as I worked for Arizona chemical at the time, part of International Paper if anyone wants to know. I was told to look at green bay & I liked what I saw. A small town owned by the residents of the town & good but not great. So they became MY team lol. Favre was under centre then.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It probably sounds stupid but I honestly don't even remember at this point. There wasn't really any big "moment" and I don't really have any familiar connections to the team - I'm from Illinois and the closest teams by proximity would've been the St. Louis Rams, the Chiefs, and then the Bears. My dad was a Dolphins fan. Most of my mom's side are Chiefs fans. But I guess I can say that it was Favre for me. I just remember enjoying watching him play so much when I was a kid. I guess it always just kind of reminded me of how we'd play ball at recess or something. He just always had that fun, schoolyard style about him. I still have some fondness for the Chiefs but they've just never held the same place for me, not even close.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It probably sounds stupid but I honestly don't even remember at this point. There wasn't really any big "moment" and I don't really have any familiar connections to the team - I'm from Illinois and the closest teams by proximity would've been the St. Louis Rams, the Chiefs, and then the Bears. My dad was a Dolphins fan. Most of my mom's side are Chiefs fans. But I guess I can say that it was Favre for me. I just remember enjoying watching him play so much when I was a kid. I guess it always just kind of reminded me of how we'd play ball at recess or something. He just always had that fun, schoolyard style about him. I still have some fondness for the Chiefs but they've just never held the same place for me, not even close.
Yeah Favre was fun to watch. He was always like a kid on a playground. He had kind of an infectious enthusiasm for the game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never a specific moment for me either. I was born in Milwaukee. My folks are from Black Earth and Sturgeon Bay. Always been a Packer fan. Maybe the Lombardi years cemented it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never a specific moment for me either. I was born in Milwaukee. My folks are from Black Earth and Sturgeon Bay. Always been a Packer fan. Maybe the Lombardi years cemented it.
If you were around in the Lombardi years, as I was, that's all it took to be a Packer fan for life. It must be puzzling to football fans in big cities who wonder where the hell is Green Bay, WI?!?

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been to Green Bay, not a huge place but compared to my local town it is huge from a how physically big it is. Population about the same size but Green Bay is physically bigger

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been to Green Bay, not a huge place but compared to my local town it is huge from a how physically big it is. Population about the same size but Green Bay is physically bigger
It's like 20 miles to loop the city on the freeways. Basically a triangle with around 6-8 mile long sides.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like 20 miles to loop the city on the freeways. Basically a triangle with around 6-8 mile long sides.
It's a small city by population relative to other NFL cities. Green Bay is famous for it's football team. Actually, Green Bay is famous for its very successful football team. It's not referred to as Titletown for nothing.

Members online

Latest posts