What if I told you we would get 1 superbowl win in 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would you like this?

or would you not want to waste your time?

Obviously this is a tie-in with Cowher retiring today...1 SB win in 15 years doesn't seem too great to me...but thats just me.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: What if I told you we would get 1 superbowl win in 15 ye

We are 10 years without a superbowl win, but that isnt bad seeing as the Bears are 21 years without a superbowl win, and the Lions/Vikings are no where to be found.

Green Bay- 3 Superbowl Wins
Bears- 1 Superbowl Win
Lions- 0 Superbowl Wins
Vikings- 0 Superbowl Wins

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only one, or atleast one?

If this is based on Cowher's results, then only 1 would be appropriate.

:twocents: As for the question, it's not that bad, but obviously not great. Obviously it takes a lot to win a Super Bowl -- the right team (chemistry, players, etc), good coaching, staying healthy, peaking at the right time and some lucky breaks.

That being said, I'd definitely take Cowher's past 15 years over the Lions, but I'd also take GB's last 15 years over Cowher's.

GO PACK GO!!!

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nah depending how your team is playing and how your gm can keep the team in together for a while you could win a good 2-3 SB in 15 years

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

nah depending how your team is playing and how your gm can keep the team in together for a while you could win a good 2-3 SB in 15 years

Yeah, for a coach to be somewhere for 15 years and win a championship in his 14th year seems a little long. They were in position several times over the course of his tenure to get the Super Bowl, but only did twice.

I think that if a coach is with 1 team for that long he should have a minimum of 2 Super Bowls. It's nice to be competitive year after year, but I would expect a little more from that.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The statistical average is one win in 32 years, and Cowher was just better than twice as good as that. So I think as a fan one should be satisfied with it even though it doesn't sound like anything great. I think Cowher did a good job because he had to deal with a lot of turnover in personnel due to a very frugal front office. He seemed to get the most out of the talent he had to work with.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would you like this?

Obviously this is a tie-in with Cowher retiring today...1 SB win in 15 years doesn't seem too great to me...but thats just me.

The Packers have only won 1 Super Bowl in the past 39 seasons.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay had the 2nd best record in the NFL in the last 15 years and won 1 Super Bowl.
We should have won 3 but I was happy with a competitive team and a perrenial winner.
Super Bowls aren't as easy to come by as some of us would like to think.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay had the 2nd best record in the NFL in the last 15 years and won 1 Super Bowl.
We should have won 3 but I was happy with a competitive team and a perrenial winner.

I'd agree with winning 2 (Denver loss), but which year would have been the third?

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
would you like this?

Thanks for missing the point.

Cmon guys!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would you like this?

Tro, I hang out with some Steeler fans, and until last year, they were really upset with Cowher. I think the Steelers lost 3 AFC championship games in Pittsburgh. Look at how some of us ripped on Sherman for losing wild card games in Lambeau.

I think your point is valid, but I also think Cowher walks away with the credibility of being a good coach. He was always able to retool the team when it was ***** and pilleged year after year in free agency. That alone is a testament to him.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how many SBs are acceptable since it takes a lot of things, including luck, to win one. Most coaches are considered successful if their teams are exciting to watch and competitive most years. That alone with FA and the cap is hard to do. In our case, we expect improvement and so far we've gotten some, with much more to go.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would you like this?

What if you re-phrase it and say that

"If for the next 15 years despite the inevitable loss of key players at key positions, Mike McCarthy keeps us in it, puts a competitive team on the field, and will make the playoffs 10/15 (thats a guess dont feel like looking it up) seasons:...I'd be pretty happy, and if I were a Steeler fan I'd be pretty satisfied with Bill Cowher

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:

I'd agree with winning 2 (Denver loss), but which year would have been the third?

I feel if it hadn't been for the infamous 4th and 26 we would have won it that year.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
yooperfan said:

I feel if it hadn't been for the infamous 4th and 26 we would have won it that year.

agreed, i think many people where expecting us to go to the sb that year.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would take Cowhers record in a heartbeat. Superbowls arent easy to win. I would take ANY coach who gets his team into the playoffs every year. After that, with parody, and free agency, it seems like the stars have to be aligned just right to win a superbowl.

Its the same for LaRussa in baseball. He consistantly gets his teams in the playoffs every year, but people would always ***** and moan because he couldnt win the big one. Im glad he finally won last year, so the critics would get off his back. Championships dont grow on trees.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

someone had to bring it up

a thread to discuss one of the generation's best coaches and we're gonna poison it with one of the dumbest men to ever wear the headset...what a waste of talent that team was

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nope Cowher didn't win some of the big (home) games and yes he only won 1 Super Bowl (did get to another). But all in all Steeler fans were damn glad to have him and he will most defintely be missed. You always knew that even if the team wasn't as competitive in a given season that Cowher hadn't given up on them and that he knew how to fix whatever had gone awry. Look at this season - they started 2-6 and finished 6-2.

It isn't always about the Super Bowl but I'm sure glad he got one!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with ya, he was a good coach and the fans seemed to really like him...and for the most part he always had a team that competed week in and week out..

he will be missed next year, but in 2008 he will return but with what team....

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Cliff said:
tromadz said:
would you like this?

Thanks for missing the point.

Cmon guys!

I guess your point is that MM is better than Bill Cowher..?? :shrug:

OK he is...happy now?

It's hard to tell between what you say and what you mean in your posts anyway.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score

From the title, I thought this was a thread about Brett. Anyway, isn't Cowher's playoff record strikingly similar to Holmgren's when it comes to SBs. Winning a SB, as has been stated before, takes a lot of luck. At that point in the playoffs, you have the elite of all the teams where any one team can beat any other team. It just comes down to who is the hottest team at that point in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts