1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What did we learn in Week 2?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GreenBlood, Sep 13, 2012.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Oh, so you DO think we could have run out the clock by running every play... even though we tried that and failed. :rolleyes:

2. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    When did the Packers try and fail? :confused:

3. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I played my 7 years of football, so get off your high horse already. Anybody who's played football or has been around football knows that if the play isn't there, the QB has the option of SLIDING to keep the clock running. Also, NFL history is full of games where the team that was behind was able to score 3 TDs in the final quarter.

And even if you subscribe to the idea that MM made the "wrong call" that still doesn't make it his fault that Rodgers failed to recognize that he should have run for whatever he could get and slide before going out of bounds.

4. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    On the possession after the Bears' TD, they rushed 3 times for -1 yards. What part of that eludes you?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Benson averaged 4.1 yards per carry in that game. 4 x's 3 is 12. 12 yards gets you a first down.

6. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    The Packers as a team averaged 3.8 yards per carry... 3.8 x's 3 = 11.4 yards. 11.4 yards gets you a first down.

7. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Damn statistics! :p

8. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Then why didn't that work on the following possession? I

He averaged 4.1 yards per carry when the Bears still had to respect the pass! You claimed to have been around football. Tell me, what do you do as a defense when you know the offense is 90% likely to run? You stack the line. If you're the offense, how do you keep them from doing that? Hint: it's not by running yet again.

9. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    We tied on the following possession and ended up with -1 yards.

Damn facts!:geek:

BTW, you can disagree with that all you want, but disagreeing with irrefutable facts doesn't make one look very bright. Look at the game log if you think it's not true.

10. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    What "irrefutabl facts"? In your eyes, your facts are irrefutable, but mine aren't real. The Packers averaged 3.8 yards per carry... Benson averaged 4.1 yards per carry. Those are FACTS. You are beyond ridiculous.

11. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Vince Lombardi always said that if you run the play to perfection the defense won't be able to stop it. :tup:

You're arguement holds no water. Cedric Benson's last run before the interception (which was on first down) was for 6 yards. Again, just stating FACTS.

12. MLB

MLB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +14
    100% correct!

• Like Like x 1
  13. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I never said he didn't. I said most of those yards came when we were mixing up the offense.

Are you telling me that it is not a FACT that we rushed for -1 yards on the next possession after the INT? You go to the game log and look at that possession and then tell me again we didn't have -1 on 3 carries.

14. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    The real point here is regardless of what you deem to be the "correct" call. MM is not responsible for that INT because Rodgers had the option of sliding if his man wasn't wide open, did he not?

15. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    You just made my point. If Rodgers and Jones had run the play to perfection, there would have been no INT. It's MM's fault that they didn't any more than it was Vince's fault when Jim Taylor lost a fumble.

Yes, and you know why? Because it was the first play of the 4th quarter and the threat of a pass play prevented the Bears from stacking the line.

The real issue here is that of MM's culpability for that INT, and given the options Rodgers had, he bears none.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Sorry, but I don't usually agree with Greenblood, but......after that series of 3 consecutive runs that got stuffed for negative yardage, I too would have to go to a pass attack to keep the clock going. I my self played 13 years of football and now have coached my sons team for 6 years. I wouldn't have run that ball 3 times for negative yards. I say a screen pass would have been my 2nd play. 1st = draw, 2nd=screen( strong side) 3rd= sweep run....but that's just me.

17. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
  18. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    JJ ran the wrong route which caused the interception. Why you guy's are arguing about this is beyond me.

19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,976

With that said..Can we stop the arguing? I already locked one thread because of the constant bickering..

20. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    LOL...ok, ok....I just had to issue the sublte "I told ya so"......so to speak. I'll be done

21. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL! I love ITYS! But for some strange reason my wife doesn't......:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Crash_override

Crash_override Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    We learned the Pack needs to run the ball to st up the passing game more. The fact that defenses had an offseason has made it harder to line up in 5WR and sling it. Rodgers and CO still have the magic, it's just harder when defenses are more prepared and know what to expect.We need a 2010 season from the D.

23. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    There's really no need to micro-manage. We're all big boys here. If debate isn't allowed, what's the point of having a forum at all?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,018
    I disagree. The Packers under McCarthy and with their current OL will never be a "run to set up the pass" team and they shouldn't be. IMO the Packers have to run the ball enough, and effectively enough so the threat of a run keeps Ds from launching all-out pass rushes throughout the game.

I do agree the Packers have to account for the fact other teams had a full off season to study their prolific passing offense from last year. The more teams play a Tampa 2 look against them, the more I think the Packers should revert more of a WCO scheme, taking advantage of the underneath routes and relying more on YAC. If they play the 49ers again I'll bet that's a significant part of the game plan on O.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Pretty sure we do the exact opposite and use the pass to set up the run. Pretty sure they expected the pass in '11 too, didn't stop "The Magic". Not exactly sure about "The Magic" either this season, you don't "magically" drop a pass...

• Funny Funny x 1