What are the scouts saying about our picks?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I like how many of the scouts are so amusingly blunt about the guys they don't like. Everyone's got an opinion and there all over the map.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know how many NFL Scouts exist, but if McGinn had the time and desire, he could probably get a comment from each and every scout about a player, toss in some coaches or fan opinions and fill news articles with his favorite eye popping and variety of opinions. What would they all mean? Probably not a whole lot, other then scouts vary in what they look for and writers can cherry pick opinions to make for a more intersting article.

I haven't read anything about TT's Scouts during his tenure, but I am sure part of the growing process of a GM is finding Scouts that are consistent in their evaluations and somewhat thinking along the same wave length as TT. Anyone know how many Scouts TT has employed since he became the GM? I saw a clip from Sam Seale the other day, was interesting to hear his prospective on our picks. Which is why I would prefer reading an article comprised of the scouting reports compiled by Packer Scouts on our picks as well as other players we didn't pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't read anything about TT's Scouts during his tenure, but I am sure part of the growing process of a GM is finding Scouts that are consistent in their evaluations and somewhat thinking along the same wave length as TT. Anyone know how many Scouts TT has employed since he became the GM?

No idea about how many scouts Thompson has had employed since becoming the Packers general manager. Currently the player personnel department has 16 employees though.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
It only matters how these guys fit into the Packer's systems. No one will know how they will pan out, until they get on the field for a couple years. I thought Davante Adams would be a superstar after his first season. Now, I would not be surprised if he was cut. I also wouldn't be surprised if he did develop into a solid WR 3. I like how they drafted athletes this year. Football moves can be taught, pure athleticism cannot.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It only matters how these guys fit into the Packer's systems. No one will know how they will pan out, until they get on the field for a couple years. I thought Davante Adams would be a superstar after his first season. Now, I would not be surprised if he was cut. I also wouldn't be surprised if he did develop into a solid WR 3. I like how they drafted athletes this year. Football moves can be taught, pure athleticism cannot.

Don't remind me about Adams and how we could have had Allen Robinson lol. I really hope he turns it around.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, the guys getting paid to do it, and the ones we're told to whom we ought to defer, make some good choices and some bad ones?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was harsh reading. Spriggs getting slaughtered with technique, ability and dedication being called to question!

I think they'll do well. Most have upsides and if we mould them well, they'd be more than adequate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That was harsh reading. Spriggs getting slaughtered with technique, ability and dedication being called to question!

I think they'll do well. Most have upsides and if we mould them well, they'd be more than adequate.

I don't worry too much about the harsh side of scouting reports, even the top 10 players have harsh things written about them. Now if the harsh stuff is really bad or out weighs the positives, then you start worrying.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now if the harsh stuff is really bad or out weighs the positives

Tbh, The comment on Spriggs dedication is quite worrisome. Unless the player himself wants it bad, it'll be hard to push them ahead. Dedication/aspiration is something that can't be trained or coached.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tbh, The comment on Spriggs dedication is quite worrisome. Unless the player himself wants it bad, it'll be hard to push them ahead. Dedication/aspiration is something that can't be trained or coached.

I think I would worry more about that comment if I read it in every scouts analysis, I haven't. Or if that Scout who said it backed it up with why. One scout said he was a "converted TE", he never played TE at Indiana or in HS. Scouts look at a lot of guys, they don't alway have their facts completely accurate and some of their observations are purely subjective statements, based on maybe one conversation with another scout, player, coach, etc.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC Scout "He Stinks"...

Probably the same guy that said this

'NFC scout: "We don't even have him in the first four rounds." (Randall Cobb)

Interesting to go back and read comments from previous years. In hindsight, traditionally the guys that we have come to realize were bad picks were panned pretty badly after the draft by scouts. The comments post draft this year tend to be pretty positive.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm reasonably certain of two things. One, Packers scouts would be saying similar things about players other teams drafted and two, whoever said these things would be saying something different if their team had picked these players.

For the most part I think scouts hedge their bets. I don't think too many will be too harsh on players. You are going to get more "he may not be a star but he will be solid" than you will "he stinks" Since this is before the draft a scout probably doesn't want to be on record as totally panning a player in case his boss thinks otherwise and picks the player anyway.

Members online

Latest posts