What almost was

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw this today. I love the what if, almost happened draft day stories. My favorite is the Ray Lewis one in 96 but this is pretty good.

“Will never forget loud curse by John Schneider in GB Draft room when Buffalo took Marshawn Lynch ahead of us in ’07. Now he’s got him.”
—@adbrandt, The MMQB’s Andrew Brandt, after Lynch ran for a pinballing touchdown in the NFC title game. Brandt was a Green Bay executive at the time, and Schneider a club scout.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first round draft in 2007 wasn't loaded with studs, but Griffin, Hall, Bowe, and Beason would all certainly have been much better options in retrospect. The kicker is that if we weren't thrilled about our spot, Dallas was begging to move back up into the 1st to take Quinn and would have given us their 2nd and another first rounder for the '08 draft.

It's a really bad pick because it was a surprise pick that ended in a major bust. Just like Nick Collins looks like a genius pick because it was fantastic value and no one saw it coming, Harrell is the opposite end of the spectrum.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell had an injury history in college and, if I remember correctly, had a torn biceps coming into the draft. He also wasn't projected to go that high in the draft, so it was a risky pick for many reasons and so far is the worst pick of TT's career in Green Bay.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I thought of how we so wanted Lynch after the Buffalo game that year we went against them. He would of been a great addition. Glad we got Lacy to make up for it years later. Still with our luck Lynch would of been injured.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sad thing is, that was Schneider not Thompson.
Thompson could have had him about 3 or 4 years later from Buffalo, for basically a cup of coffee.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/mor...eattle-seahawks-buffalo-bills-trade-lopsided/

As he could have gotten Jerry Hughes 2-3 years after he was drafted.

You see, the Niners and Seahawks have BOTH DONE THESE THINGS.
Teddy continues to only add players via the draft.

That means he has to bat higher, much higher, than all the other teams in the draft, to compensate for not utilizing the other tools of assembly.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
The sad thing is, that was Schneider not Thompson.
Thompson could have had him about 3 or 4 years later from Buffalo, for basically a cup of coffee.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/mor...eattle-seahawks-buffalo-bills-trade-lopsided/

As he could have gotten Jerry Hughes 2-3 years after he was drafted.

You see, the Niners and Seahawks have BOTH DONE THESE THINGS.
Teddy continues to only add players via the draft.

That means he has to bat higher, much higher, than all the other teams in the draft, to compensate for not utilizing the other tools of assembly.

If there is one thing that is the truth in this world, it's that you are consistent, Frank.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The kicker is that if we weren't thrilled about our spot, Dallas was begging to move back up into the 1st to take Quinn and would have given us their 2nd and another first rounder for the '08 draft.
At the time of that draft I didn't know anything about Harrell so I was more surprised than anything. And as I posted before I believe Harrell's injury history even went back to high school.

It was only later that I was pissed upon learning of the trade offer Thompson allegedly turned down. I actually thought the reported deal was even sweeter but honestly it's hard for us to know the truth of what was actually offered. Also Denver traded up with Jacksonville into the spot right behind the Packers at #17 and gave up their first rounder #21, a third and a sixth rounder. That deal too was probably available to the Packers. Thompson couldn't give up the lure of one of those rare talented big men that 'God makes only so many of' and maybe Harrell was that if he were healthy.
If there is one thing that is the truth in this world, it's that you are consistent, Frank.
No he's not. At the same time he posts these posts criticizing the roster, he also posts how good the Packers roster would be without so many injuries. Can't have it both ways.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we almost traded for him, didnt we win the SB?
Yeah, then continued a lengthy streak of sub 100 yard rushing games. Winning the SB in a single season is not the trump card to every conversation.

Am I the only one that wants to see the Packers be the only team to ever 3-peat as league champs pre and post SB era? I think this team can do it too, if they get their act together.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Iirc Ted was ready to pull trigger but wouldnt budge past a 4th?

But point is this.. Say he did get Lynch, do we still get Lacey?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we almost traded for him, didnt we win the SB?
We did.
We almost won it the next year too..... and came close the next couple of years.
Never will know if they would have one any more with Marshawn, who has been phenomenal in Seattle obviously.

But he could have been injured for us.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is? Consecutive SB trophies is a rare feat. We are a snobby bunch when we start souring on GMs because they can't deliver the rarest of achievements.
I'll take that knock. Also, on the GM subject, I've never stated my opinion on that but I don't dislike TT at all. I absolutely love him, think he is a great guy and doing a good job overall. That is not to say that I agree with him 100% of the time, but I do respect what he's done for this organization.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We did.
We almost won it the next year too..... and came close the next couple of years.
Never will know if they would have one any more with Marshawn, who has been phenomenal in Seattle obviously.

But he could have been injured for us.

Very possible no SB is won if that trade happens.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
No he's not. At the same time he posts these posts criticizing the roster, he also posts how good the Packers roster would be without so many injuries. Can't have it both ways.

I was referring to him constantly bringing up Jerry Hughes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts