Week 9 @ LA Chargers - Beware The Trap Game

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never really thought of Oakland as a trap game because they were 3-2 coming in and we were coming off a tight win against Detroit, and hence were searching for a complete game. This last game was not a trap game because the Chiefs had become successful under Andy Reid before Mahomes even came on the scene, and we knew Arrowhead was just tough in general.

This game on the other hand I really believe is indeed a trap game. We've had so much success on the road against these guys in the past, but at some point, all streaks are going to come to an end. The Chargers story I would say is they're a talented football team that's played bad football.

Now, regardless of what happens in this game, I still think old Phillip Rivers is washed up and needs to retire after this season and the Chargers should get a new QB. BUT ... He's played well against us and is like Carson Palmer. As overrated as that guy was, he just kept getting our number. Rivers has put up good numbers against us but just has come up empty. He does that again this time, he'll finally have gotten one.

Word to Mike Pettine ... You're asking for trouble if you play zone against these guys.

As much as we may have laughed at the Bears for blowing it yesterday, they may have done us more bad than good in doing so because at 3-5, the Bolts still have a slim chance at getting to the playoffs and you'd better believe they're going to be going after it.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with you. The Chargers were gifted a W yesterday in more ways than just the missed FG. The Bears being awful in the redzone, THREE field goals less than 25yds. Mitch overthrowing a wide open TD, followed by a fumble where he wasn't even sacked. Some more missed throws by Mitch.

It reminded me a lot of the Lions game a few weeks back. The Bears let the Chargers stay in the game the whole time and gave them hope. They drive down and score one TD and all of a sudden a game that could realistically be 17-0, 13-0, is only 9-0 and now 9-7 with momentum towards the Chargers.

Packers D didn't give up the big long bomb to Hill as I expected last night. But how many throws were behind the LOS and ended up as a 10+ yard gain? That is what Ekeler excels at, and they have a stud at TE.

I think people will discredit the Chargers "they should have lost." Perhaps it is apples to oranges, but I see how the win vs. the Lions gave the Packers a little pep in their step the following week against Oakland. I can see the Chargers trying to ride out this wave of a game they stole to get into a groove, especially with Pack taking down the Chiefs. That was a 2 game swing for them in the division that now is the time to strike with the Chiefs on a little bit of a skid.

OR....the Chargers are that bad and the Packers will go into LA, the stadium will feel like a home game and treat them like they treated Oakland.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Sure is nice that the schedule worked out such that the Packers would have 10 home games this year. The 8 at Lambeau, one at JerryWorld (AR's play pen), and this one in LA where there will undoubtedly be more Packers fans than Chargers.

Thank you schedule makers!!!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with you. The Chargers were gifted a W yesterday in more ways than just the missed FG. The Bears being awful in the redzone, THREE field goals less than 25yds. Mitch overthrowing a wide open TD, followed by a fumble where he wasn't even sacked. Some more missed throws by Mitch.

It reminded me a lot of the Lions game a few weeks back. The Bears let the Chargers stay in the game the whole time and gave them hope. They drive down and score one TD and all of a sudden a game that could realistically be 17-0, 13-0, is only 9-0 and now 9-7 with momentum towards the Chargers.

Packers D didn't give up the big long bomb to Hill as I expected last night. But how many throws were behind the LOS and ended up as a 10+ yard gain? That is what Ekeler excels at, and they have a stud at TE.

I think people will discredit the Chargers "they should have lost." Perhaps it is apples to oranges, but I see how the win vs. the Lions gave the Packers a little pep in their step the following week against Oakland. I can see the Chargers trying to ride out this wave of a game they stole to get into a groove, especially with Pack taking down the Chiefs. That was a 2 game swing for them in the division that now is the time to strike with the Chiefs on a little bit of a skid.

OR....the Chargers are that bad and the Packers will go into LA, the stadium will feel like a home game and treat them like they treated Oakland.

Personally I couldn't believe Nagy didn't try at least one shot to the end zone off a play action or something in the final minute, at least just to try and catch em off guard. They definitely had their ticket sitting in front of them ready to punch and they couldn't do it.

The reason I thought the Bears would probably win is the way their defense is built and adding Mack into it like that, I figured that'd be a matchup problem for the Chargers. Even more so with their OL problems.

Problem for us is that while we do get some series where the QB goes down, I seen an awful lot of clean pockets our defense has given, and if Rivers gets one of those that's not good.

The script has been written our way against these guys for as long as we know, but it's not going to last that way forever.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I converted my brother-in-law from a Chargers fan to a Packers fan, so this will be a really fun game!

Joey Bosa is really freaking good. Hayward, obviously, still good.

What we have to hope here, is that the Chargers continue to insist on feeding Melvin Gordon. If they can just do that, we'll win.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly this does not feel like a trap game. Chargers are not really a good team. They have managed to score more than 20 points twice this season, against Colts with a rookie QB in game 1 and against the tanking Dolphins.

Definitely not a walkover, but I do not see us losing this.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rivers is still capable of putting up a good performance, and their offense is loaded with talented players. They are definitely capable of putting up a lot of points on us if our defense plays like it did last night. Rodgers will have to keep up his stellar play as of late for the w.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers are 7-1 alright but it's a very flawed 7-1. if it's not the O struggling it's the D. the oak game was probably their most complete game and it took some raider bad luck to get it started.
i don't think they have the luxury of taking an opponent lightly. they're not healthy. they're still missing adams. it's going to be hot (by GB standards) 80ish. rivers can slice and dice, and gordon can gash, a defense. they aren't to be trifled with. oh...and they're due a good game. it's going to take 30+ points to beat them. it'll be like a home game for the Packers though with the vast majority of fans wearing green and gold. lol

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly this does not feel like a trap game. Chargers are not really a good team. They have managed to score more than 20 points twice this season, against Colts with a rookie QB in game 1 and against the tanking Dolphins.

Wtf? Jacoby Brissett sure as hell ain't no rookie. What rock have you been hiding under?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers are 7-1 alright but it's a very flawed 7-1. if it's not the O struggling it's the D. the oak game was probably their most complete game and it took some raider bad luck to get it started.
i don't think they have the luxury of taking an opponent lightly. they're not healthy. they're still missing adams. it's going to be hot (by GB standards) 80ish. rivers can slice and dice, and gordon can gash, a defense. they aren't to be trifled with. oh...and they're due a good game. it's going to take 30+ points to beat them. it'll be like a home game for the Packers though with the vast majority of fans wearing green and gold. lol

I don't see those guys scoring more than 20 on us. As much as you are pushing not to underestimate the Chargers, I would submit to you not to underestimate our own constantly-improving Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers might have to deal with some unscouted looks from the Chargers offense with Whisenhunt being fired as their offensive coordinator.

The Packers defense was afraid of Hill beating them deep, giving him way too much cushion at the LOS. I don't expect them to play Ekeler the same way.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
With KW being fired yesterday, it gives me a slight unsettling feeling. The Chargers have talent. Hopefully this isn't the spark that they need and take it out on the Packers.

captain makes a good point on the possibility of unscouted looks.

Reaction score
I have Austin Ekeler on my fantasy team. I can tell you all that ever since Melvin Gordon came back they have been force feeding him. They are better when Ekeler is the #1RB. Ever since they have been trying to pacify Gordon and force feeding him carries they have STUNK. They have issues in that locker room

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would be as close to a home game as possible, I think. Chargers have minimal fan support at their home stadium and I would not be surprised of 70-80% of fans wear green and gold!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see those guys scoring more than 20 on us. As much as you are pushing not to underestimate the Chargers, I would submit to you not to underestimate our own constantly-improving Packers.
the O is improving but the D has started to regress. so much soft zone has allowed opposing qb's time to get the ball out quickly and avoid our pass rush. more press coverage will make them hold the ball a tick or two longer giving our guys a chance to get to the qb. there'll be more chances for turnovers too. they need to stop playing scared back there. they need to play the way sea's boom backfield played...on the edge of the rule book.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because they are not a good football team if you take them lightly they can burn you big time. The ONLY reason they beat Chicago is because the Bears are a mess. The Bolts screwed up a lot in that game but the bares didn't take advantage of them. We have to go in there and not give them any life whatsoever.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts