Week 4 MNF The Cupcake Atlanta Team In Town

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks to me like they want 4 that can play and contribute plus 1 in the practice squad hopper. Nakia Stewart is a big kid who apparently knows how to block and would appear that is being groomed as Lewis’s replacement? We may see another heading our way next year in the draft.

Well, guess it all depends on priorities, but I still say we're as set as you can get even if M Lewis retires.

It'd be damn foolish not to re-sign Tonyan considering what he's proven here, and I certainly think Sternberger is capable enough as TE2. Only issue we might be facing is Deguara staying healthy, but we'll see.

I just think this next draft - though it's not really anything to worry about now - would probably be better focused on areas like WR (if Adams ends up walking after 2021), DL, OL and ILB first. Any TE gotten would be nothing more than a depth piece which can wait till the late rounds or UDFA signings.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, guess it all depends on priorities, but I still say we're as set as you can get even if M Lewis retires.

It'd be damn foolish not to re-sign Tonyan considering what he's proven here, and I certainly think Sternberger is capable enough as TE2. Only issue we might be facing is Deguara staying healthy, but we'll see.

I just think this next draft - though it's not really anything to worry about now - would probably be better focused on areas like WR (if Adams ends up walking after 2021), DL, OL and ILB first. Any TE gotten would be nothing more than a depth piece which can wait till the late rounds or UDFA signings.
I was thinking along same lines. We have 7 picks right now on day 3 of next years draft. That would seem to be a logical place.

I consider Sternberger an unknown work at this point but season is only a quarter over.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nakia Stewart is a big kid who apparently knows how to block and would appear that is being groomed as Lewis’s replacement?

In general you're expecting way too much out of players that end up on the practice squad. While there are exceptions that end up having an impact in the NFL most of them don't even make a roster.

The Packers are far from being set at tight end for next season with Tonyan being the only one who he has shown to be capable of having an impact.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In general you're expecting way too much out of players that end up on the practice squad. While there are exceptions that end up having an impact in the NFL most of them don't even make a roster.

The Packers are far from being set at tight end for next season with Tonyan being the only one who he has shown to be capable of having an impact.
I’d agree with this at the moment. Sternberger is still iffy from my point of view. We also don’t know the impact of Deguara’s injury and how it will affect his development. I suspect we’ll see another one come in during the 21 draft. It’s great going in with 10 picks with likely 3 late 4th round picks in the basket.

D

Deleted member 6794

It’s great going in with 10 picks with likely 3 late 4th round picks in the basket.

The Packers might receive two fourth round compensatory picks for losing Martinez and Bulaga in free agency this season but Fackrell signing with the Giants will probably result in a sixth rounder at best.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers might receive two fourth round compensatory picks for losing Martinez and Bulaga in free agency this season but Fackrell signing with the Giants will probably result in a sixth rounder at best.
Yes, that’s what I’ve read. Our original 4th pick hopefully will be very, very late in the round too.:D

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And at long last Quinn has been released from his duties as head coach. We thought it was going to be against us, but no it was a week later.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And at long last Quinn has been released from his duties as head coach. We thought it was going to be against us, but no it was a week later.
Strange situation with Quinn. 2 or 3 years ago he had his team up 28-3 in the 2H of the SB only to lose to the Pats. Now he's looking for a job. I'm afraid Ryan will join HOF QBs like Tarkenton and Marino who put up huge numbers but never got a ring.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably a separate topic, but what is everyone's take on whether or not the NFL willl be able to finish this season? 8 games rescheduled after 5 weeks. If this continues, and it is likely as Covid is only growing and winter is coming, my guess is that at some point the league will run out of options to reschedule, or dramatically alter and shorten the season. I hope I'm wrong.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strange situation with Quinn. 2 or 3 years ago he had his team up 28-3 in the 2H of the SB only to lose to the Pats. Now he's looking for a job. I'm afraid Ryan will join HOF QBs like Tarkenton and Marino who put up huge numbers but never got a ring.

Matt Ryan might have put up a lot of numbers, but was he ever a top 3 QB in a season in his career? I’m not sure how we would call him a HOF QB. He’s not one of the best of the best.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Staying off topic a little. So many games have been rescheduled, I need a notebook to keep them all straight.:confused:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bulaga is bc 10 year veterans can get you a max of a 5th round comp pick, except for QB’s. Seems like a dumb rule to me, but what do I know?

Speaking of Bulaga, so far the decision to let him go is looking pretty good. He was out last night with a back injury, and has already missed quite a bit of time this season.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably a separate topic, but what is everyone's take on whether or not the NFL willl be able to finish this season? 8 games rescheduled after 5 weeks. If this continues, and it is likely as Covid is only growing and winter is coming, my guess is that at some point the league will run out of options to reschedule, or dramatically alter and shorten the season. I hope I'm wrong.

It is time for bold and baseless predictions!

Within a month one, maybe two teams will be hit with a serious level of infections and the league will respond by... suspending them from any further games this season and playing it out with the remaining 30 teams. There will be howling about the consequences on won-loss records and play-off seeding by those on the schedule with those two, but a tough call will be made and the season will go on. In fact, I'd bet this has been discussed as a contingency-- drastic, perhaps, but this plan is in a file somewhere close at hand.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is time for bold and baseless predictions!

Within a month one, maybe two teams will be hit with a serious level of infections and the league will respond by... suspending them from any further games this season and playing it out with the remaining 30 teams. There will be howling about the consequences on won-loss records and play-off seeding by those on the schedule with those two, but a tough call will be made and the season will go on. In fact, I'd bet this has been discussed as a contingency-- drastic, perhaps, but this plan is in a file somewhere close at hand.
Thanks for the reply Jon. I hadn't thought about the possibility that a team could be suspended for a high rate of Covid infections, yet it makes sense. For those teams, it's more likely they aren't following safety protocols, and so the punishment fits the crime. Plain ol' bad luck is also a possibility, but your suggestion still makes sense. And yeah, there will be a lot of howling. But this is the best answer to the potential problem that I've seen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Ryan might have put up a lot of numbers, but was he ever a top 3 QB in a season in his career? I’m not sure how we would call him a HOF QB. He’s not one of the best of the best.
Yeah I agree with that. He'll likely be nominated, but that assures nothing. Now that I think about your comment, Ryan is more like Stafford - very good QBs who are just shy of being HOF worthy. Thanks for pointing that out.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jon. I hadn't thought about the possibility that a team could be suspended for a high rate of Covid infections, yet it makes sense. For those teams, it's more likely they aren't following safety protocols, and so the punishment fits the crime. Plain ol' bad luck is also a possibility, but your suggestion still makes sense. And yeah, there will be a lot of howling. But this is the best answer to the potential problem that I've seen.
I think this solution ignores the amount of money at stake... and the guaranteed lawsuits that would follow.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To my not so vivid recollection Chewy may have been larger in torso and I do think Tonyan runs better than Chewy did.
Agreed, and the TE position has changed since Chmura played. The TEs today look like bulked up WRs, a lot faster, taller, and better route runners than the previous generation. What's been lost in translation is the ability to block.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's fair to mention that Ryan was a top 3 quarterback in 2016 when he won the MVP award. Other than that I agree he has never been elite.

I don't think that suspending teams because of a COVID-19 outbreak is the best option by any means but the absolutely last resort to save the season.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my honest opinion Matt Ryan was never really all that good, sure he had that one year he won the MVP, (Though an argument could be made Rodgers' should've won it) but he was always a tier below guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and now Wilson. He was never in the elite group, but a tier under it. I feel bad for Julio though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's fair to mention that Ryan was a top 3 quarterback in 2016 when he won the MVP award. Other than that I agree he has never been elite.

I don't think that suspending teams because of a COVID-19 outbreak is the best option by any means but the absolutely last resort to save the season.
Yeah I think the idea is probably dead on arrival. The CBA and who knows what other legalities will block this from happening. And it's very subjective and there are no rules in place to enforce it. It's just an interesting idea I wish someone in the NFL would have considered before the season started. They might try to use it as a last resort. Probably more likely the NFL tries to add a 19th week to the schedule and hold the SB the week after the conference championships. We'll see. The virus is pretty unpredictable.

Members online

Latest posts