Week 2 home opener: Packers v.s. Vikings

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not done with this, but I will concede for now due to the fact that I'll be away until sometime tomorrow and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to revisit this since people will have likely moved on from this subject. But heaven forbid something happens to Alexander, and King plays lights out, expect to hear from me.

I respect you and your opinion, and I wish I could go more into this but I probably won't be back until sometime tomorrow. Victory is yours.

Fair enough. I still think that you are confused as to why many are disappointed when it comes to King. It has nothing to do with the Man or his talent, but has everything to do with the injuries that have prevented him from being on the field nearly enough in his first 2 years to display that talent.

I truly hope you are back here in January beaming about King's Pro Bowl year, because I will be one of the first to say "Hell of a season and so good to see him finally get through one healthy!"

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll tell ya what.

I'd rather have The Smith Brothers + King, than be starting TJ Watt.

Kind of an odd way to piece things together, since they were completely separate decisions, made at completely different time frames, but OK. All your statement really is saying (to me) is that you would prefer King over Watt.

Personally, I would rather have TJ Watt (still on a rookie deal with a 5th year option), one of the Smith Brothers and 1-2 other players that we could have signed with the money that we used on the "other Smith Brother". Including that other Smith Brother if it was determined he was needed.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a very unique chemistry we are seeing between Preston and Za'Darius that looks rock solid. I like the dynamic, and there seems to be a permanence, a solidification, a real sense of camaraderie and confidence that is spreading throughout the entire team on D this season. That chemistry and trust in one another can go a long way towards making big plays and advancing throughout the season. Not only that, but both players pride themselves on always being available. From a team health standpoint, I find that invaluable. Solid mentorship was added with the Smith Brothers coming here.

Just a phenomenal stroke of luck to add both players to this D for the 2019 season and beyond. King seems very motivated to excel and show his worth, and I think we can see that similar kind of chemistry being built with the secondary as well. All of our defenders seem to be having a lot of fun together. I think that will only increase as we progress through the season.

I think we will see more of the value we currently have on D tomorrow!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've often taken a route other than the one I intended, wondered why I ever chose what I did, and ended up in a place I was very thankful I made the decisions I had a long the way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've often taken a route other than the one I intended, wondered why I ever chose what I did, and ended up in a place I was very thankful I made the decisions I had a long the way.

I'm a firm believer in "The Butterfly effect". The decisions you make today, even small ones, could very well alter many aspects of your life and possibly others lives, in the future. Those changes could be for the better or for the worse.

So in the case of saying "I wish I would have done that", be careful what you wish for, because "had you done that", you might have found yourself in a worse place.

Had the Packers drafted Watt, all sorts of things could have happened. Rodgers doesn't get hurt that season because somehow Watt altered Rodgers course in life. Watt could have blown out his knee in a preseason game, had 15 sacks, etc. You just don't know for certain.

I guess when we all want to look at the "could have, would have, should have scenarios that life presents us, we are cheating with some of the conclusions that we would like to draw. Cheating in the the fact that we want to hold all other variables constant in our thinking of what would have happened had we just changed only the variable we are questioning.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With Bakh at less than 100% with his back and Everson Griffen looking reborn last week, that's a matchup to watch. It may be problematic for the Packers.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of an odd way to piece things together, since they were completely separate decisions, made at completely different time frames, but OK. All your statement really is saying (to me) is that you would prefer King over Watt.

Personally, I would rather have TJ Watt (still on a rookie deal with a 5th year option), one of the Smith Brothers and 1-2 other players that we could have signed with the money that we used on the "other Smith Brother". Including that other Smith Brother if it was determined he was needed.

Yeah, I just think Watt isn't as good as his numbers indicate, and I think Packer fans value him a bit more highly because he graduated from Wisconsin and his brother is JJ.

Kevin King, when healthy, is a more impactful player, imo. The problem is his health.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, I just think Watt isn't as good as his numbers indicate, and I think Packer fans value him a bit more highly because he graduated from Wisconsin and his brother is JJ.

Kevin King, when healthy, is a more impactful player, imo. The problem is his health.

While I admit to only watching TJ play a few times for the Steelers, I have seen every one of Kings snaps and I would be hard pressed to say he has been more of an impactful player then Watt during his limited snaps in Green Bay. Watt has 20 sacks, 1 interception, 124 tackles and 11 passes defended. King has 1 sack, 1 interception, 50 tackles and 8 Passes defended.

I would see your "Badger Homer argument" and raise you a "Packer Homer argument" when it comes to some peoples way of looking at King. I get it, King's potential is there, but until he can stay healthy, that potential has mostly gone untapped. I would also wager to guess that if you asked 300 NFL fans (non Packer and non Steeler fans), who TJ Watt and Kevin King were, more people would know about TJ and not just because of his last name.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to think if only I had done this instead of that things would be better but life isn't always that straightforward. The Packers draft Watt and the series before Rodgers got hurt Watt has an interception and it changes the whole next series and the Packers are hoisting the Lombardi at the end of the season. Or the series before Rodgers gets hurt Watt misses a tackle and on the next series Rodgers get Theismaned.

Things don't always have to happen the way they do but they do happen the way they do. We can't change the past and we can't always predict how those changes would have affected the outcome even if we could have made them.

in the very short term sure. If he would have caught that pass we would have scored a TD but scoring that TD doesn't mean we would have won a game we lost by 5 points because by scoring that TD maybe the other guys would have done something different and scored another TD of their own.

I've found that "things could be worse" is not a bad philosophy to live by. Its not an excuse to be complacent because the flip side is "things could be better" and that could and should be a motivator to make it happen.

If you could change something that happened in the past you should only do it if you are prepared for things to be worse off than they are now because there is no guarantee things would be better.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I admit to only watching TJ play a few times for the Steelers, I have seen every one of Kings snaps and I would be hard pressed to say he has been more of an impactful player then Watt during his limited snaps in Green Bay. Watt has 20 sacks, 1 interception, 124 tackles and 11 passes defended. King has 1 sack, 1 interception, 50 tackles and 8 Passes defended.

I would see your "Badger Homer argument" and raise you a "Packer Homer argument" when it comes to some peoples way of looking at King. I get it, King's potential is there, but until he can stay healthy, that potential has mostly gone untapped. I would also wager to guess that if you asked 300 NFL fans (non Packer and non Steeler fans), who TJ Watt and Kevin King were, more people would know about TJ and not just because of his last name.

Stats are for losers, tbh.

Fackrell had 10+ sacks last year, and he's a bum.

Now, I'm not saying Watt is bad. I just like King better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's easy to think if only I had done this instead of that things would be better but life isn't always that straightforward. The Packers draft Watt and the series before Rodgers got hurt Watt has an interception and it changes the whole next series and the Packers are hoisting the Lombardi at the end of the season. Or the series before Rodgers gets hurt Watt misses a tackle and on the next series Rodgers get Theismaned.

Things don't always have to happen the way they do but they do happen the way they do. We can't change the past and we can't always predict how those changes would have affected the outcome even if we could have made them.

in the very short term sure. If he would have caught that pass we would have scored a TD but scoring that TD doesn't mean we would have won a game we lost by 5 points because by scoring that TD maybe the other guys would have done something different and scored another TD of their own.

I've found that "things could be worse" is not a bad philosophy to live by. Its not an excuse to be complacent because the flip side is "things could be better" and that could and should be a motivator to make it happen.

If you could change something that happened in the past you should only do it if you are prepared for things to be worse off than they are now because there is no guarantee things would be better.

I'm reading that and all I could picture was.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
Fackrell had 10.5 Sacks; 12 QB hits and 12 Tackles for a loss. That’s a pretty impressive bum. We should get more bums.

Back to the thread; This should conceivably be a good match. GB needs to slow down Cook. The GB pass rush/DBs combo is our strong suit. I’ll take my chances early with a single high Safety and make Cousins beat us through the air while we collapse the pocket and bring the game to their backfield. If I’m Pettine, I’m expecting them to do some screens to slow our pass rush and control the ball. We need to proactively bring the game to their backfield and gang tackle and continue trying to rip the ball. I saw our D aggressively rip at the ball several times last week, keep that going this week and sooner than later we get a Takeway.
let’s set the tone ..we ain’t the Falcons and this ain’t Minneapolis.
If we step up and beat a very good MN team, this game will say much more about this squad than 1 game worth.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fackrell had 10.5 Sacks; 12 QB hits and 12 Tackles for a loss. That’s a pretty impressive bum. We should get more bums.

Oh come on, stop sounding like a Packer Homer! We need more Kevin Kings around! You know guys with great potential, guys that we can feel good about over what they could be doing! :coffee:

Reaction score
Oh come on, stop sounding like a Packer Homer! We need more Kevin Kings around! You know guys with great potential, guys that we can feel good about over what they could be doing! :coffee:
Better than Homer Simpson..now he was a Bum!! :eek:

We need a new Kevin to show up, not King Tut all wrapped in bandages

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Stats are for losers, tbh.

Now, I'm not saying Watt is bad. I just like King better.

Don't let the Rashan Gary pessimists hear you say that!

So exactly what do you like about King and what makes you like him better than TJ Watt?

Set aside feelings and hopes and just give me the straight football information that separates the 2 for you.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't let the Rashan Gary pessimists hear you say that!

So exactly what do you like about King and what makes you like him better than TJ Watt?

Set aside feelings and hopes and just give me the straight football information that separates the 2 for you.
Myself? I didn’t weigh in except to support King, but I feel both are top rate players. Watt’s stats & ability are fantastic. I wanted Watt there 100%. Tried to realize what Ted & Co. did not see. PIT wasted ZERO time trading up to snap him.

I trusted, somewhat, disappointed, kind of reeling, then did some research. King was a solid pick, Similar to Savage, had King stayed healthy, in terms of skill range, and physically dynamic qualities, football smarts, love of game, versatility & resume. He just got hurt.

He’s our player, had some tough injuries, and I want to see him healthy and realizing the dream. It would be very, very cool.

Is everbody stoked?!!! I am.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was expecting just a tad more of a response....! Ha. Yeah, I posted a video of him dancing in practice from Twit, and he looked like he was in no pain. Looking like we may be able to expect some gamesmanship from LaFleur along the way. Also saw a vid of Jaire making a dynamite catch in practice same day. Both were on the report at the time. Funny.

Game day, Baby! Go Packers!!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our screen game is weak. It needed work and not sure a week is enough time to get it right.

I just hope we run the ball better today, better blocking better running and if a play gets “stuffed” at least get 2 or 3 yards.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OL showing up and delivering will be key, in every facet of the offense. Aaron Rodgers needs protection. Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams need holes to run through.

We can't go 19-0 unless we win Game 2.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, we all know the situations, and King is not a ****. He's a F'ing great player and a great person. Just don't agree with the constant digs on him, and over and over again it gets to be a little much. He's one of ours, a player we want to be healthy and to play well for us. I'm just hoping for the best for him. All Packers fans would be wanting the very best for him, and continuing this incessant dialogue of constantly injured and bust does no good.

I just hope he shuts everyone the F up on that with a rock solid season all the way to bringing back the Lombardi.

Just because fans don't dive in on that kind of talk doesn't make them blind or unable to see... unable to recognize...

Kevin King has played in 16 games now for the Packers and has played well.

I think fans are just frustrated because he is misses so many games due to injury. We all want him out there.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We all recognize the undeniable talent and ability of Kevin King. No one is disputing that. None of that matters though if he cannot stay on the field.

We all hope that he’ll play 16-20 times this year.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
David Bakhtiari is active :cool:

Packers inactives:

Dexter Williams
Darrius Shepard
Ka’dar Hollman
Oren Burks
Cole Madison
Lucas Patrick
Kingsley Keke

Which means Light is active. Obvious backup plan to Bakh.

Notable inactives for the Vikings include Alexander, Hughes, and Elflien.

Last edited:

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question is

Does our offense do anything today?

We can assume Rhodes will be all over Davante all day with safety help too