Week 10: Panthers @ Packers [H]

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sun 11/10 @ 4:25pm | Channel: FOX

A up and down Panthers team who beat a spineless Titans team.

Kyle Allen is not afraid to air it out. Very inconsistent/inaccurate though.

Christian McCaffrey is on god mode with back to back 100+ yard games and will be salivating to face off against our non-existent run D.

Stop CMC + Pressure on Kyle = Win

Oh, and yeah our own O needs to get their **** on track!

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, 50 yards of offense in the first half won't get it done

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I can't wait, we're due for a win against these guys and they suck in Lambeau Field whenever the Packers are good.

Well ok, on the Xs and O's side, I think LaFleur looks at what happens and tries to get back to some of those big passes to Aaron Jones and using guys like the Mercedes.

The main thing we need to fix is just getting the OL back in sync and reminding them about Rodgers hard count. They're the main play execution culprit right now and our OL coach needs to get them practicing better on snap counts and blocking assignments.

On defense, get a game plan to limit McCaffrey. Panthers offense is a one man show. Granted a very exceptional one man show, but gotta treat him like Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson in their primes.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On defense, get a game plan to limit McCaffrey. Panthers offense is a one man show. Granted a very exceptional one man show, but gotta treat him like Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson in their primes.

We may see yet another "bend but not break" mah effort. He'll run for 200 yards but no TD :eek:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I can't wait, we're due for a win against these guys and they suck in Lambeau Field whenever the Packers are good.

Well ok, on the Xs and O's side, I think LaFleur looks at what happens and tries to get back to some of those big passes to Aaron Jones and using guys like the Mercedes.

The main thing we need to fix is just getting the OL back in sync and reminding them about Rodgers hard count. They're the main play execution culprit right now and our OL coach needs to get them practicing better on snap counts and blocking assignments.

DJ Moore and Curtis Samuels are VERY capable wr's. There's more to the Panthers team than just CMC.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DJ Moore and Curtis Samuels are VERY capable wr's. There's more to the Panthers team than just CMC.

Maybe but they're definitely not Tyreek Hill or Stefon Diggs, not imo. I'm pretty sure if McCaffrey ever went down for a significant period, you'd see half their offensive production eliminated right there.

While he concerns me on defense, I foresee a much cleaner and crisp execution coming on offense. Woulda had these guys last time if Rodgers wasn't hampered by the collarbone fix. Offense due for another Oakland breakout kind of game.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe but they're definitely not Tyreek Hill or Stefon Diggs, not imo. I'm pretty sure if McCaffrey ever went down for a significant period, you'd see half their offensive production eliminated right there.

While he concerns me on defense, I foresee a much cleaner and crisp execution coming on offense. Woulda had these guys last time if Rodgers wasn't hampered by the collarbone fix. Offense due for another Oakland breakout kind of game.

I think Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams should be a HEAVY focus of our next game plan considering how they have struggled at keeping RB's in check. We can then control the clock and get out with the w. And hopefully keep Rodgers healthy.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Cam Newton on the shelf who is their starting QB now?

It would be Kyle Allen, 5-1 since taking over and leaving speculation about Newton possibly being traded.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed in that. Was looking forward to getting him up here and kicking his butt. But I feel we've got a bounce back game coming.

Plus even if the defense gives up a few big plays, they're due to get a few turnovers which I don't think the Panthers offense will overcome particularly if ours is on a roll early.

Well, at the beginning of the season, I had picked both the Eagles and Chargers games as losses but the Panthers as a big W. I'm feeling the same here.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they'd play Cam Newton. A selfish prima donna like that can wreak havoc on his own team. It's not a coincidence they're playing better football without him.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sell out to limit Christian McCaffrey and live with the results.

Exactly what I told a Co worker this morning. Take him completely away and make Allen beat us throwing. Only thing is he’s their best wr as well haha. They are gonna have to double him when he leaves the backfield as a pass catcher. Or blitz like crazy so he has to protect

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panthers won 5 out of their last 6 losing to the 49ers. Although they didnt beat anyone notable they won't be a pushover. Especially considering the way we played last week.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panthers won 5 out of their last 6 losing to the 49ers. Although they didnt beat anyone notable they won't be a pushover. Especially considering the way we played last week.
agreed. hopefully last weeks game was a wakeup call for everyone. going out there a day early and giving the players a play-day was stoopit. lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're not beating anybody playing like that. I take it back, I guess we beat the Bears playing like that earlier in the year, but the defense was playing better I guess.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have seen lately, Carolina will be able to do whatever they want to do. All this defense is doing is breaking. The Smiths are occasionally getting to the QB but where are the other 2 pass rushers? I don't even know who they are because they are pretty much invisible. Any QB in the NFL will have a career day against this defense - that's the facts. We have seen the "we will kick your butt" attitude that the secondary had to start the season has completely eroded to a bunch of scardey cats afraid to play aggressively. Somebody has to pull their head out and play to win instead of trying not to lose. Big difference. This game is gut check time. Make no mistake. This game, right now. Make or break.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they'd play Cam Newton. A selfish prima donna like that can wreak havoc on his own team. It's not a coincidence they're playing better football without him.
I have to say though, the commercial with the little kid that ends with the kid saying something like, "And I'll take over your QB job and become your mom's favorite player." Something like that. It is my favorite commercial of all time. The whole thing was funny and the kid and Cam were great in it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weeks like this just got me chomping at the bit wanting Sunday to get here fast. Get that W and the pessimists and anti Rodgers trolls get shut up.

This team didn't get to 7-2 by accident, and it's not like we just all the sudden have no weapons. With a young HC, and breaking in some younger guys on offense including the OL, you're not going to be firing on a high level getting big wins in Dallas, vs Oakland and in KC without a few setbacks to go with them. That game in LA was just one of them, and unfortunately we were due for a loss against the Chargers.

I don't think we're going to decimate these guys San Francisco style, but 10, or 14 point win ... I could see that as long as the OL is doing its job. Hopefully now that Davante had his week to get back in it we only feed him the ball as needed.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have seen lately, Carolina will be able to do whatever they want to do. All this defense is doing is breaking.
I am quite happy with our defense. I wish that they were shutdown, but they generally clamp down in the redzone and limit teams to field goals. The Lions game and the Chargers games are good examples where the defense gave up yards, but limited the opponent to FGs and kept us alive until the offense came alive. Of course, the offense never got going this past week. The defense began yielding bigger plays the more they were on the field. That's on the offense.

I found this online. It says that we are 6th in redzone defense in terms of giving up TDs. I'll take that. Huge improvement over last year.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem believing that the offense will be fine. As for the defense, I will believe it when I see it. Right now the defense is subpar at best. I don't care what the stats say. All I know is what I see and lately it ain't pretty.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would you believe that the offense will be fine, when what we've all seen in the last game ain't pretty either?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem believing that the offense will be fine. As for the defense, I will believe it when I see it. Right now the defense is subpar at best. I don't care what the stats say. All I know is what I see and lately it ain't pretty.
as bad as you think the defense was, the offense was far worse. Even our "best in the league" tackle Tandem looked like they were forced to play in a disinteresting pre-preseason game. I didn't expect that from them of all people. They didn't even look like they cared they were getting their ***** handed to them on some plays. One of them was getting destroyed on almost every snap.

as a season, the defense has had more to talk about than the offense that has really only showed up in what, 2 games? and a spattering of plays here and there?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now the defense is subpar at best. I don't care what the stats say. All I know is what I see and lately it ain't pretty.
Game 1: Close game, punter pins the Bears deep, the defense doesn't allow a first down and closes with a 4th down sack. Defense wins
Game 2: Held the a team averaging 26 points/game to 16 points, not allowing a point after part way through the 3rd quarter. Forced the Vikings to go punt, punt, interception, punt, fumble to end the game. Defense wins
Game 3: Again with only 5 minutes into the 3rd qtr, the Broncos score their last points. The Packers defense forces an INT, punt, turnover on downs, and ends the game with a sack. Defense wins
Game 4: Not a good game - allowed 34 points. Defense loses to the Eagles
Game 5: Also not a good game - but only allowed 24 points. Best defensive play was in the first half, aside from the Kevin King INT in the second half and stopped Dallas for a FG attempt when they needed a TD.
Game 6: For as much as the Lions moved the ball, they got one TD on the day. The rest of the time Packers held them to punts and FGs. Defense wins
Game 7: From the mid-point of the third quarter the defense got a turnover on downs, an INT, forced a punt, and then gave up a late TD in garbage time to the Raiders. Defense wins
Game 8: Against a high octane offense (even without Mahomes), they only allowed 17 points in the first half. After that the defense forced punt, fumble, TD, punt on its way to victory. Defense wins
Game 9: Rivers always does well against Green Bay. The defense held him to FG, FG, punt, FG in the first half. The defense kept us in the game at 9-0 despite the offense laying an egg. They even held the Chargers to another FG to start the second half but then the dam broke as GB continued to struggle on offense.

I think all that you are seeing is the stats. You see the other teams moving the ball and getting yards, but seem to be turning your head every time the defense holds tight and clamps down. We aren't the '85 Bears or '00 Ravens but we also aren't the 2011 Packers. The defense can improve but they are doing what is most important, keeping teams out of the endzone. That's a stat that you should care about.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game 1: Close game, punter pins the Bears deep, the defense doesn't allow a first down and closes with a 4th down sack. Defense wins
Game 2: Held the a team averaging 26 points/game to 16 points, not allowing a point after part way through the 3rd quarter. Forced the Vikings to go punt, punt, interception, punt, fumble to end the game. Defense wins
Game 3: Again with only 5 minutes into the 3rd qtr, the Broncos score their last points. The Packers defense forces an INT, punt, turnover on downs, and ends the game with a sack. Defense wins
Game 4: Not a good game - allowed 34 points. Defense loses to the Eagles
Game 5: Also not a good game - but only allowed 24 points. Best defensive play was in the first half, aside from the Kevin King INT in the second half and stopped Dallas for a FG attempt when they needed a TD.
Game 6: For as much as the Lions moved the ball, they got one TD on the day. The rest of the time Packers held them to punts and FGs. Defense wins
Game 7: From the mid-point of the third quarter the defense got a turnover on downs, an INT, forced a punt, and then gave up a late TD in garbage time to the Raiders. Defense wins
Game 8: Against a high octane offense (even without Mahomes), they only allowed 17 points in the first half. After that the defense forced punt, fumble, TD, punt on its way to victory. Defense wins
Game 9: Rivers always does well against Green Bay. The defense held him to FG, FG, punt, FG in the first half. The defense kept us in the game at 9-0 despite the offense laying an egg. They even held the Chargers to another FG to start the second half but then the dam broke as GB continued to struggle on offense.

I think all that you are seeing is the stats. You see the other teams moving the ball and getting yards, but seem to be turning your head every time the defense holds tight and clamps down. We aren't the '85 Bears or '00 Ravens but we also aren't the 2011 Packers. The defense can improve but they are doing what is most important, keeping teams out of the endzone. That's a stat that you should care about.
All good examples El Gaupo and maybe I am hung up on the stats more than I thought. For instance, Blake Martinez leading the league in tackles yet you don't notice him on the field until he gets beat by 20 yards. The glaring lack of a pass rush that makes QB's of any talent level look like HOF's. The terrible display of tackling that seems to always rear its ugly head. As far as the offense goes, they have plenty of firepower to keep improving if Rodgers and LaFleur will stick to the plan of moving the sticks and running the ball. I like the fact that so many of you are optimistic about the defense. We will just have to agree to disagree.