Week 10: Panthers @ Packers [H]

H

HardRightEdge

This has been an issue long before MLF came along. IMO this is Rodgers' doing.
Is it, really?

To start with, Aaron Rodgers had two delay of game penalties last season, three this season including two in the Carolina game. It's easy to exagerate the issue based on some fresh 20/20 hindsight.

Lets look at those two recent Carolina cases.

With the first of those penalties in the Carolina game on a 2nd. and 9 play, the offense broke the huddle with 11 seconds on the play clock. The team was set at 0:05, then Rodgers motioned Sternberger. That was late. Sternberger wasn't reset until 0:01, very late. You'll have to ask La Fleur if that motion was an option in the play design, whether the rookie was supposed to motion but the QB had to prompt him, or it was an audible. The snap was about a second late. Should the QB snap the ball on 2nd. and 9 with the offense not set, or wait until the last second at the risk of the penalty? One could argue the penalty is better than burning the down with an f'ed up play. Debate that among yourselves. Is this one could be on La Fleur or is it on Rodgers? Without more information we cannot say.

The second of those Carolina penalties was two plays later in the same series, 4th. and 3. That is absolutely a down you cannot burn. You must take the penalty or call time out if the look is not right. I don't recall if the Packers had a timeout to use, but if they did nothing stops LaFleur from using it from the sidelines.

So, here we have a sideline shot of LaFleur reading in the play at 0:25. Again, they broke the huddle at 0:11 and are set at 0:05. Rodgers is going to hard count with Adams motioning right at 0:00. Rodgers waves his hand like "that was f'ed up". Was the call to get the offsides or punt otherwise? Did La Fleur not want to risk losing the field position from a punt if the first down was not gained? Ask La Fleur.

The fact of the matter is we don't know. Also, the fact of the matter is these delay of games are very infrequent. I mean really, one every 8 games last season, one out of 3 games this season? Please.

Now, Tom Brady has zero delay of game calls this season vs. Rodgers three. Good for him. On the other hand, Brady has four intentional grounding calls to Rodgers two. Maybe Brady is more willing to take the snap into a bad look? But who really wants to dissect such a small sample size with incomplete information? But I guess we have to dissect a couple to make that point.

If you want to get on somebody about penalties your best target would be Bakhtiari who has 10, second most in the league to a guy with 11. Bakhtiari could take the lead in the SF game against that tough front. I wouldn't make an issue of it myself. Why? Because he's an accomplished veteran with reported back issues dating to earlier in the season. He's earned a benefit of the doubt.

And here we are, picking on a possible (but not certain) rare classification of Rodgers imperfections. Like I said elsewhere, if you want perfection then die and go to heaven, if you believe in that kind of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Is it, really?

To start with, Aaron Rodgers had two delay of game penalties last season, three this season including two in the Carolina game. It's easy to exagerate the issue based on some fresh 20/20 hindsight.

With the first of those penalties in the Carolina game on a 2nd. and 9 play, the offense broke the huddle with 11 seconds on the play clock. The team was set at 0:05, then Rodgers motioned Sternberger. That was late. Sternberger wasn't reset until 0:01, very late. You'll have to ask La Fleur if that motion was an option in the play design, whether the rookie was supposed to motion but the QB had to prompt him, or it was an audible. The snap was about a second late. Should the QB snap the ball on 2nd. and 9 with the offense not set, or wait until the last second at the risk of the penalty? One could argue the penalty is better than burning the down with an f'ed up play. Debate that among yourselves. Is this one could be on La Fleur or is it on Rodgers? Without more information we cannot say.

The second of those Carolina penalties was two plays later in the same series, 4th. and 3. That is absolutely a down you cannot burn. You must take the penalty or call time out if the look is not right. I don't recall if the Packers had a timeout to use, but if they did nothing stops LaFleur from using it from the sidelines.

So, here we have a sideline shot of LaFleur reading in the play at 0:25. Again, they broke the huddle at 0:11 and are set at 0:05. Rodgers is going to hard count with Adams motioning right at 0:00. Rodgers waves his hand like "that was f'ed up". Was the call to get the offsides or punt otherwise? Did La Fleur not want to risk losing the field position from a punt if the first down was not gained? Ask La Fleur.

The fact of the matter is we don't know. Also, the fact of the matter is these delay of games are very infrequent. I mean really, one every 8 games last season, one out of 3 games this season? Please.

Now, Tom Brady has zero delay of game calls this season vs. Rodgers three. Good for him. On the other hand, Brady has four intentional grounding calls to Rodgers two. Maybe Brady is more willing to take the snap into a bad look? But who really wants to dissect such a small sample size with incomplete information? But I guess we have to dissect a couple to make that point.

If you want to get on somebody about penalties your best target would be Bakhtiari who has 10, second most in the league to a guy with 11. Bakhtiari could take the lead in the SF game against that tough front. I wouldn't make an issue of it myself. Why? Because he's an accomplished veteran with reported back issues dating to earlier in the season. He's earned a benefit of the doubt.

And here we are, picking on a possible (but not certain) rare classification of Rodgers imperfections. Like I said elsewhere, if you want perfection then die and go to heaven, if you believe in that kind of thing.

I would prefer the Packers offense to operate on a faster pace though. Currently only the Ravens take more time to snap the ball than Rodgers.

FWIW the team still had a timeout on the fourth down play they took a delay of game penalty but to me it seemed they wanted to get another five punts for Scott to have more room to keep the punt out of the end zone anyway.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it, really?

My beef is we sometimes have to waste a TO because the play clock is at zero. If we snapping the ball at very end of the play clock it gives pass rushers an edge because they know we have snap it. If we snap it earlier then the rushers won't have a jump on our OL. And if we have to take a delay of game penalty that can kill a drive real quick too.

Members online

Latest posts