Weddle released...fit or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone desire Gute to at least reach out on him? 34...but still a very capable FS...thoughts?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I love Weddle. He can still play. He's a scheme fit. I would not sign him.

I'm sticking to my opinion that the Packers need to invest in younger players who will still be productive in 2020 or beyond.

Altheparkguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Valuable talent remaining and veteran leadership in the locker room in the secondary. If only for a year or two, makes us better.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. If we're retooling this position we'll need experienced leaders in the locker room. I'd take him if he looks good in his workout (and we haven't signed a different veteran).

H

HardRightEdge

I love Weddle. He can still play. He's a scheme fit. I would not sign him.

I'm sticking to my opinion that the Packers need to invest in younger players who will still be productive in 2020 or beyond.
You'd think no one learned anything from last season's "win now" FA foray. The roster was not good enough then for it and it's even a worse proposition now.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety is a vastly crowded fa field this year. If he comes at a deep discount, maybe, but only if they see something we don't in the other safetues we already have that needs a year or two to mature.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being from Utah, I would say sign him yesterday! All the kid has ever done is win and done it with a hard work ethic and class. Rare these days.

D

Deleted member 6794

Safety is a vastly crowded fa field this year. If he comes at a deep discount, maybe, but only if they see something we don't in the other safetues we already have that needs a year or two to mature.

There's no doubt the Packers need to improve at free safety. They should sign a younger player than Weddle though.

Being from Utah, I would say sign him yesterday! All the kid has ever done is win and done it with a hard work ethic and class. Rare these days.

Weddle hasn't won a Super Bowl so far.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone saying we should sign younger on EVERY free agent thread...where is all this capital coming from to sign the young guns with long term talent? I don't see us blowing a ton of capital unless edge rusher and Breeland is gonna take some cash as well. I foresee an affordable, yet experienced vet at S. Not saying ideal, because of course we all would rather have a 25 year old than a 32 year old but...

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone saying we should sign younger on EVERY free agent thread...where is all this capital coming from to sign the young guns with long term talent? I don't see us blowing a ton of capital unless edge rusher and Breeland is gonna take some cash as well. I foresee an affordable, yet experienced vet at S. Not saying ideal, because of course we all would rather have a 25 year old than a 32 year old but...

The Packers have sufficient cap space to sign a young veteran at edge rusher, safety and slot receiver. I wouldn't mind adding a guard that's a bit older though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still over here crossing fingers Kevin Zeitler gets released and comes back home to Wisconsin to be a Packer! 28 years old with plenty in the tank.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am still over here crossing fingers Kevin Zeitler gets released and comes back home to Wisconsin to be a Packer! 28 years old with plenty in the tank.

Zeitler will turn 29 tomorrow ;)

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this: given the sheer amount of FA safety talent hitting the market this season, we should by law of supply v demand get an immediate upgrade without blowing the bank.

If we wind up paying top $$$ for a name at safety this year, it's telling to how our front office will be doing business. We should be focusing efforts on edge rusher and LB upgrades #1, with one of those 1st Rd picks also used aimed in that direction. I think we then focus on corner play, adding a depth vet who can come in to shore up our coverage.

Summary:
FA#1 EDGE
#2 Lb (in and/or out)
#3 safety

Draft
1a: EDGE/DE
1B: OLB

D

Deleted member 6794

We should be focusing efforts on edge rusher and LB upgrades #1, with one of those 1st Rd picks also used aimed in that direction. I think we then focus on corner play, adding a depth vet who can come in to shore up our coverage.

Summary:
FA#1 EDGE
#2 Lb (in and/or out)
#3 safety

Draft
1a: EDGE/DE
1B: OLB

The Packers need to improve the talent at edge rusher this offseason but while I definitely wouldn't mind adding a talented inside linebacker there's no pressing need to upgrade the position.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rich get richer. Rams got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts