We wont face anymore defenses as good as we seen in the Hawks and Jets

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just went 1-1 against most likely the best two defenses that we'll face all year. Lets face it, teams lose in Seattle and get their ***** kicked there. I think even some here didnt expect that we'd win that game.

We need to figure out a way to get one of the top 2 records in the NFC for a shot at a home game in the NFCCC. I think its possible.

So all BS aside, I think if anyone said that we'd start the year off 1-1 knowing that one of those two games were an away game at Seattle, that most here would be happy.

We just need to keep improving each week.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say the Carolina Panthers who we play this year have a pretty damn good defense, certainly hope we aren't taking them lightly. If we play our cards right, we may be able to win some matchups against them with the WRs, but our O-line struggles have me worried about that game. Their D-line can certainly get pressure with just 4 going upfield, so we had better make sure every play on O counts.

We also have to keep in mind something, they along with a lot of other teams have gotten better at tackling receivers in open space. This has been one of the things McCarthy has built the O on over the years, a team that's thrown a lot of slants or short out passes to the 3rd, 4th, even 5th WRs figuring that they're so good they'll beat the corner who's covering them. I think teams have figured this out and made the necessary draft picks and adjustments to put the breaks on offenses who've lived by this. Now I think Rodgers can get the ball there by making just about every throw there is, but he's likely gonna need to make the kind of throws that use longer developing routes and require WRs to make over the shoulder or more difficult catches to beat their men.

And let's not underestimate the Tampa Bay Buccaneers either. We play down there this year, and for whatever reason our team always struggles against them. Even back 3 years ago when we had our historically good offense and they were not so good, they still gave us problems. And that one loss I hate remembering was against them in 09, they were 0-9 and we were supposed to have a cakewalk on them.

Just saying, I think defenses around the league in general are getting tougher these days.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets not carried away eh. The D is still not very good.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think you are mistaken. Carolina D is better than you think. Detroit's defense is showing pretty good right now. And for that matter even the Vikings defense is doing a lot better than last year. Actually, I think of the two, the Jets were better than Seattle.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes you think the Jet's D is good?

Giving up 24 points to Geno Smith at home is a bad bad sign, so he has a point.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
......What?

Clearly you did not read a word that I said in my post.

well you did say this:

We need to figure out a way to get one of the top 2 records in the NFC for a shot at a home game in the NFCCC. I think its possible.

With this D that seems extremely unlikely.

Reaction score
well you did say this:

With this D that seems extremely unlikely.
The defense played great in the second half however... Time will tell whether or not that was the Jets playcalling or if the Packers D actually stepped up when we were down 18.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense played great in the second half however... Time will tell whether or not that was the Jets playcalling or if the Packers D actually stepped up when we were down 18.

Jet's offense is bad though. And they had that TD called back because of the timeout. I think we can at least safely assume it's not a championship D looking at the last two weeks baring major improvements as the season goes on.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, we gave them an extremely short field early on. Take that away, and the Jets probably only score 17 against us or so.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jet's offense is bad though. And they had that TD called back because of the timeout. I think we can at least safely assume it's not a championship D looking at the last two weeks baring major improvements as the season goes on.

FWIW, Tramon said he heard the whistles during the playand didn't give a 100% effort because he knew the play would come back.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get how people are missing that. It's not as if a whistle before the snap doesn't affect the players on defense. That play may not have been a TD without the whistle.

In other cause and effect news, people need to stop saying that the 12 men on the field penalty saved Rodgers from a bad pick. He threw a risky ball knowing that he'd caught them with 12 men on the field. He ALWAYS does that when he catches the defense in a pre-snap penalty, which is really, really smart. Didn't people see that he went to a quick snap on that play?

Anyway, the panthers and lions also have good dlines, but the guys on the lions have way less gap discipline. Look at the rushing stats against the great Suh and Fairley; teams get yards by letting them run themselves out the of play. We can be more balanced on offense against the lions than the panthers because the panthers have Kuechley out there to clean up against the run.

Whether we've seen the best defenses already or not, we need to get more movement in the run game and must get a TE involved. I really hope that Bostick is ready to go this week because the coaches evidently didn't think he was really ready to contribute yesterday.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we'll play another defense as bad as our own, except possibly the Vikings--and even they have a real hitter in Harrison Smith. That's one more than we have. But I hope I'm wrong.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we'll play another defense as bad as our own, except possibly the Vikings--and even they have a real hitter in Harrison Smith. That's one more than we have. But I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think it's as simple as this. 100 yards and three points given up in the second half is pretty good. What the bears did in the second half was pretty good too. Both the Packers and bears played totally different calibers in each half. It's about whether we can figure out how to play that way from start to finish. Whether that's 80% on the players or the coaches remains to be seen, but if we play up to our capabilities we'll be a decent to good defense.

H

HardRightEdge

I would add that the Bills defense is very good. Better than the Jets, to be sure, on the relative strengths of the secondaries.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's as simple as this. 100 yards and three points given up in the second half is pretty good. What the bears did in the second half was pretty good too. Both the Packers and bears played totally different calibers in each half. It's about whether we can figure out how to play that way from start to finish. Whether that's 80% on the players or the coaches remains to be seen, but if we play up to our capabilities we'll be a decent to good defense.
Yes, I've been saying the same thing for several years. But I've come to the conclusion that we simply are not a good defensive team, and changes in coaching and personnel will likely be the result at the end of the year. Playing bad football 3 out of 4 halves to start the season is proof of it more than it's an aberration, I believe.

H

HardRightEdge

I would not rule out Arizona winning the division if Palmer can get and stay healthy. They were 10-6 last season with a win at Seattle; the defense is terrific; they beat an (albeit crappy) Giants team on the road with Drew "Freaking" Stanton at QB. Palmer's "nerve damage" sounds inauspicious, however.

I say this because the 49ers are starting to look like a team that missed their window and the Seahawks' passing game looks to me like a collection of gimmicks that won't stand up against teams getting an early lead.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not opponents defenses that I am worried about, as we have Rodgers at the helm with Lacy running and arguably the best WR Corps in the league.

I am worried about OTHER OFFENSES facing OUR DEFENSE. We have Megatron NEXT week with Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett the following week. Those guys are big, nasty receivers. As much as I wish I could say they are over rated, they simply are not, except for maybe Jeffery.

Also, even the main point of the game is to score more points, which means offense the defense giving the offense some support would be great. Yesterday's game proved that point in the second half by shutting out the Jets we were able to climb back in the driver's seat. Had the defense kept leaking points we would be 0-2.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not opponents defenses that I am worried about, as we have Rodgers at the helm with Lacy running and arguably the best WR Corps in the league.

I am worried about OTHER OFFENSES facing OUR DEFENSE. We have Megatron NEXT week with Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett the following week. Those guys are big, nasty receivers. As much as I wish I could say they are over rated, they simply are not, except for maybe Jeffery.

I agree that my main concern is with our defense as well. Our receiving corps, especially if you include the TEs, isn´t even close to being the best in the league though.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I would say the Carolina Panthers who we play this year have a pretty damn good defense, certainly hope we aren't taking them lightly. If we play our cards right, we may be able to win some matchups against them with the WRs, but our O-line struggles have me worried about that game. Their D-line can certainly get pressure with just 4 going upfield, so we had better make sure every play on O counts.

We also have to keep in mind something, they along with a lot of other teams have gotten better at tackling receivers in open space. This has been one of the things McCarthy has built the O on over the years, a team that's thrown a lot of slants or short out passes to the 3rd, 4th, even 5th WRs figuring that they're so good they'll beat the corner who's covering them. I think teams have figured this out and made the necessary draft picks and adjustments to put the breaks on offenses who've lived by this. Now I think Rodgers can get the ball there by making just about every throw there is, but he's likely gonna need to make the kind of throws that use longer developing routes and require WRs to make over the shoulder or more difficult catches to beat their men.

And let's not underestimate the Tampa Bay Buccaneers either. We play down there this year, and for whatever reason our team always struggles against them. Even back 3 years ago when we had our historically good offense and they were not so good, they still gave us problems. And that one loss I hate remembering was against them in 09, they were 0-9 and we were supposed to have a cakewalk on them.

Just saying, I think defenses around the league in general are getting tougher these days.
I don't think the Packers should ever take any team good or very bad lightly, a long season could be a short one

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On paper, the Hawks and Jets D are two of the better units we'll face, but it's far too early to think that someone whose reputation is middling or muddy won't emerge as stout or even dominant over the course of the season. Teams also get hot for stretches. Here's hoping we catch everyone on a bad week, but that's not likely.

There's no question we have the tools to get to a top record in the NFC. Despite the Lions and Bears being tough outs in our division, the NFC West is brutal. The Hawks have a tough job to get clear of that and be positioned to leverage their home field throughout the playoffs, and not everyone they play will be like the Packers who are shocked by what they do and give up boatloads of points. Some D coordinators watch tape and gameplan effectively (see: Chargers, San Diego, and yes, that's a shot at Capers from someone who has been slow to call for change on that side of the ball).

Our D has to be sound- not dominant to win. We have to be consistent and effective, not the force that drives us to win games. If we can get that kind of performance out of our D, there aren't many who don't recognize that ARod is capable of nearly unparalleled things. Here's another hope that McCarthy empties the bag and we see jugular chewing plays game in and out...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers will certainly face tougher secondaries than the Jets - not this week though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get how people are missing that. It's not as if a whistle before the snap doesn't affect the players on defense. That play may not have been a TD without the whistle.

In other cause and effect news, people need to stop saying that the 12 men on the field penalty saved Rodgers from a bad pick. He threw a risky ball knowing that he'd caught them with 12 men on the field. He ALWAYS does that when he catches the defense in a pre-snap penalty, which is really, really smart. Didn't people see that he went to a quick snap on that play?

Anyway, the panthers and lions also have good dlines, but the guys on the lions have way less gap discipline. Look at the rushing stats against the great Suh and Fairley; teams get yards by letting them run themselves out the of play. We can be more balanced on offense against the lions than the panthers because the panthers have Kuechley out there to clean up against the run.

Whether we've seen the best defenses already or not, we need to get more movement in the run game and must get a TE involved. I really hope that Bostick is ready to go this week because the coaches evidently didn't think he was really ready to contribute yesterday.

Well Bulaga will be back soon and that will help quite a bit in the "run game".

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would not rule out Arizona winning the division if Palmer can get and stay healthy. They were 10-6 last season with a win at Seattle; the defense is terrific; they beat an (albeit crappy) Giants team on the road with Drew "Freaking" Stanton at QB. Palmer's "nerve damage" sounds inauspicious, however.

I say this because the 49ers are starting to look like a team that missed their window and the Seahawks' passing game looks to me like a collection of gimmicks that won't stand up against teams getting an early lead.

Zona is the team out West.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Bulaga will be back soon and that will help quite a bit in the "run game".
We hope. We don't know how close to 100% he'll be or how long his knee will hold up. We'll need him more this week than we will for a while since the bears dline isn't nearly what the lions' is. Neither is the vikes' for that matter, but nothing should really matter in that game except that they don't have AP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts