We need for Clay to not be m.i.a in MIA

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that he moves too far laterally. He is essentially playing defensive end and CONSTANTLY this season gets suckered inside. Folks are much more willing to throw Brad Jones or Jarrett Bush under the bus, but Matthews is becoming a serious problem in this defense. When you see Peppers chasing down a play on the far side of the field, you notice how much the rest of them aren't doing that. Matthews is too far out of position on many plays and either lacks the speed or desire to make up for it.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that he moves too far laterally. He is essentially playing defensive end and CONSTANTLY this season gets suckered inside. Folks are much more willing to throw Brad Jones or Jarrett Bush under the bus, but Matthews is becoming a serious problem in this defense. When you see Peppers chasing down a play on the far side of the field, you notice how much the rest of them aren't doing that. Matthews is too far out of position on many plays and either lacks the speed or desire to make up for it.

:eek: Did you just? You didn't did you? You questioned the Claymaker?

Totally agree. Clay Matthews has been solidly average for pretty much a year now going back into last season. I love the guy but my God we need something out of him!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:eek: Did you just? You didn't did you? You questioned the Claymaker?

Totally agree. Clay Matthews has been solidly average for pretty much a year now going back into last season. I love the guy but my God we need something out of him!
Something has changed his game.
He didn't fall in love with some hot model, did he?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Clay's poor play is being exaggerated. Before the Miami game he had one more pressure than Peppers. Pressures can be as important as sacks IMO. The groin injury, like the thumb and hamstring injuries before may be affecting his ability to move as he once did. Regarding his getting fooled by fakes inside or to the other side, in the past he's run down backs a good number of times while doing that. This reminds me of the discussion we had recently regarding Rodgers holding the ball too long: Sometimes when he does he ends up making a play but when he doesn't he lose big yardage with a sack. In the same way, when Clay darts down the LOS he at times losses contain but at other times makes a TFL. But those have been rare this season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed but to a point. That's why I threw in my sentence about either not having the speed or desire to make up for it. When I got a little long in the tooth playing sports in my younger years, I adapted and learned to be more efficient with my moves to still make the plays. It's not good enough for an elite player, which he still is, to make mistakes like that. His first priority is making the plays and holding containment on his side of the field. Secondary is to make plays on the other side and chase down running backs from behind. He seems to have those two crossed up these days. I love the guy and his motor, but there's something gumming up the carburetor.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO Clay's poor play is being exaggerated. Before the Miami game he had one more pressure than Peppers. Pressures can be as important as sacks IMO. In the same way, when Clay darts down the LOS he at times losses contain but at other times makes a TFL. But those have been rare this season.

I agree that pressures are important as well and Clay has done a good job at it although most of them only resulted in a QB hurry. The problem with his play is that he loses contain way more often than he makes a play behind the LOS this season.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something has changed his game.
He didn't fall in love with some hot model, did he?
Yeah, only she isn't a model.
She is a socialite who works for a gambler who has turned his attention from baseball to football.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

(Kudos to those who get it.)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Clay's poor play is being exaggerated. Before the Miami game he had one more pressure than Peppers. Pressures can be as important as sacks IMO. The groin injury, like the thumb and hamstring injuries before may be affecting his ability to move as he once did. Regarding his getting fooled by fakes inside or to the other side, in the past he's run down backs a good number of times while doing that. This reminds me of the discussion we had recently regarding Rodgers holding the ball too long: Sometimes when he does he ends up making a play but when he doesn't he lose big yardage with a sack. In the same way, when Clay darts down the LOS he at times losses contain but at other times makes a TFL. But those have been rare this season.

I agree to an extent. From what I read about Clay, some of this problems have been over pursuit/overrunning where he has in fact managed to force the QB out of the pocket but left a clear lane. That's not loss of mobility, it's overzealousness in trying to do too much.

As for Rodgers, I can now live much easier with his holding onto the ball for 2 reasons. First, Rodgers has developed an even quicker delivery, so if he sees someone open the ball is out of his hands. That happened against the Dolphins many times. Rodgers got hit a lot and he didn't have much time, but the pass was already away. Now look at the TD he threw to Cobb. That was a thing of pure beauty. No one was open. He held onto the ball, scrambled and showed just how much quickness he still had, and throws a strike to a wide open Cobb in the end zone. No one, not Kaeperdoink, Newton, Wilson or any other running QB could have done that, and Brady, Brees and Manning don't have that kind of mobility. Rodgers does and he uses it rather than just throwing the ball away.

Fact of the matter, it IS better to risk a sack than risk an INT. If Tannehill hadn't throw 2 picks in the 1st half, Miami probably wins that game.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect it's the groin injury. Wouldn't be surprised if it bothers him all season. Maybe he'd be better playing the middle??

Latest posts