Watching and rooting with a different tone

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually don't post too much here, at least in recent times.

My dad was a huge Packer fan. I had come home since finishing up college in 2010. Watched every Packer game from the 2010 and 2011 seasons with him. Got to catch the Super Bowl championship with him and go to the Packers-Chargers game in Qualcomm in 2010, and got to see the 15-1 season as well. The last (real) game I saw was the Packers loss to the Giants. I did get to hang out with him and watch the Packers pre-season game against Cleveland, after that I went off to Officer Candidate School for the US Navy. The brief times we got to talk, he'd keep me updated on the Packers back and forth season. The week of graduation happened to be after the Pack thrashed the Cardinals and were headed into their bye week. We got to catch up and have dinner on the night of the presidential election.

We got to talk Packers football and how it was convenient we wouldn't miss the Packers playing on that Sunday because of the bye. I planned to take some leave and go watch a couple Packers games with my dad.

Unfortunately, as he was visiting, the day before commissioning my dad had to have emergency bypass surgery...he was still sedated for a week, but had his progress improving. The Sunday the Packers played in Detroit, they came back with an awesome victory...looked like his progress was further improving, so I thought it would be a special good day. I happened to also report to my first station as a Naval Officer that night. Unfortunately the moment I reported, I received a call my dad passed away. He was the biggest fan of the Navy being a retired senior chief (ready to give me my first salute, which he never was able to do)..and the Green Bay Packers and of me.

Over the two years we got to watch games together, we had grown closer, but always enjoyed watching the Packers destroy...

I had been really busy and hardly have gotten to watch the Packers of late, but the last couple of weeks I have. I still love my Packers, but watching games have a whole new meaning. Something missing, yet something so special and dear to me. Rooting for the Packers now is much more than sports, and forever now it will be beyond a game.

As we root for the Packers today, It will be awesome...I hope we get revenge because I do remember how pissed my dad was when Owens caught that ball...Lets go Pack.

Thanks for listening to this incoherent rant, but I had to let someone know how special these times are!

God bless. Go Pack Go.

12theTruth

I usually don't post too much here, at least in recent times.

My dad was a huge Packer fan. I had come home since finishing up college in 2010. Watched every Packer game from the 2010 and 2011 seasons with him. Got to catch the Super Bowl championship with him and go to the Packers-Chargers game in Qualcomm in 2010, and got to see the 15-1 season as well. The last (real) game I saw was the Packers loss to the Giants. I did get to hang out with him and watch the Packers pre-season game against Cleveland, after that I went off to Officer Candidate School for the US Navy. The brief times we got to talk, he'd keep me updated on the Packers back and forth season. The week of graduation happened to be after the Pack thrashed the Cardinals and were headed into their bye week. We got to catch up and have dinner on the night of the presidential election.

We got to talk Packers football and how it was convenient we wouldn't miss the Packers playing on that Sunday because of the bye. I planned to take some leave and go watch a couple Packers games with my dad.

Unfortunately, as he was visiting, the day before commissioning my dad had to have emergency bypass surgery...he was still sedated for a week, but had his progress improving. The Sunday the Packers played in Detroit, they came back with an awesome victory...looked like his progress was further improving, so I thought it would be a special good day. I happened to also report to my first station as a Naval Officer that night. Unfortunately the moment I reported, I received a call my dad passed away. He was the biggest fan of the Navy being a retired senior chief (ready to give me my first salute, which he never was able to do)..and the Green Bay Packers and of me.

Over the two years we got to watch games together, we had grown closer, but always enjoyed watching the Packers destroy...

I had been really busy and hardly have gotten to watch the Packers of late, but the last couple of weeks I have. I still love my Packers, but watching games have a whole new meaning. Something missing, yet something so special and dear to me. Rooting for the Packers now is much more than sports, and forever now it will be beyond a game.

As we root for the Packers today, It will be awesome...I hope we get revenge because I do remember how pissed my dad was when Owens caught that ball...Lets go Pack.

Thanks for listening to this incoherent rant, but I had to let someone know how special these times are!

God bless. Go Pack Go.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Unfortunately tonight's game is going to leave a sour taste in every Packer fan's mouth. Its always devastating losing a loved one, especially when the anticipation of a shared enjoyable experience was so close at hand.

OP
OP
P

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for gettin upset thanks for watching and rooting. Can't win every year, god bless go pack go

OP
OP
P

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just don't get how sickening the posters are here. A post from Scotland is ten times more important than this post. So ****ing sickening.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Apparently, this gentleman wandered into the shout box DURING a game? It can be quite an experience if you go in without armor and the ability to roll your eyes furiously -- in a manner similar to taking rapid, short breaths when you think you're having a heart attack. Hey, it is what it is....

However, PackwillBEback ... I would bet that your father was extremely proud of you. In a different though similar situation, I lost my father as well. Men who still have their Dad's can't possibly understand the emotion that you go through for a long time thereafter ... whether you and your Dad got along famously or not. Hang in there because the wish that he were there to pry advice from him never goes away ... I'm speaking from experience 27 years later.

Still, you salute your Dad ... and I'll salute you for being a good man.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts