Wallet stays closed

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team waits; watches market
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: March 3, 2007

All around them NFL teams are throwing around money like Pacman Jones at the NBA all-star weekend.

But so far the Green Bay Packers refuse to join in the fun, firmly positioned in a holding pattern.

They aren't alone in that regard. Most teams are sitting tight while the big-money deals hit the books during the opening days of free agency.

So while running back Ahman Green flew from Denver to Houston on Saturday to prepare for a lengthy visit with the Texans, and tight end David Martin went about shopping himself around the league, the Packers waited.

Re-signing their own players is their priority. But they have ceilings on what they're willing to pay Green and Martin, which is one reason why both were allowed to hit free agency Friday after lengthy negotiations.

The Packers' hope is that the pair find less than what they anticipated in the market and decide to settle for contracts more in line with what the team has in mind.

The Packers haven't had any free agent in for a visit, in line with general manager Ted Thompson's remarks that Green Bay would be a bystander when the big money was thrown around.

The Packers very well could be ranked second in the NFL behind the Arizona Cardinals in available salary-cap room when new figures come out Monday. The leaders in cap room going into free agency - San Francisco, Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville and New England - did a lot of quick shopping.

Instead of focusing on what the Packers view as a weak free-agent crop, they are preparing themselves for the second phase of free agency, when players who were left out of the bonus round begin adjusting their demands. The Packers also are interested in cleaning up after those teams who choose to cut high-priced veterans for financial reasons.

Each free-agent signing spins a team's revolving door, often resulting in one player coming in and one or two coming out.

With more than $21 million in cap room available, the Packers could easily meet Green's demands, thought to be around $5 million per year, including much more than that in 2007. But Thompson has always placed a value on a player based on what the Packers can live with, and then stuck with it.

Green visited Denver on Friday, but the Broncos brought in Travis Henry the same day that the Tennessee Titans officially released him and are more likely to sign him than Green. That would leave Houston and Oakland as Green's main suitors, although others may join in.

If the Texans come up with an offer that knocks Green's socks off - a strong possibility given that former Packers coach Mike Sherman is the offensive coordinator and the club freed up $6 million by restructuring receiver Andre Johnson's contract - Thompson will have to decide whether to match it.

If he doesn't, the Packers will have to sign a veteran running back to go along with young prospect Vernand Morency and backups Noah Herron and Arliss Beach. There is an abundance of stop-gap possibilities on the market and a couple of players who could be obtained in a trade.

The free agents include Jamal Lewis, Corey Dillon, Ron Dayne, Chris Brown, Anthony Thomas, T.J. Duckett, Patrick Pass, Stephen Davis and Correll Buckhalter. Those up for trade include Buffalo's Willis McGahee, Chicago's Thomas Jones, Oakland's Lamont Jordan and Miami's Ricky Williams.

Any one of those could give the Packers the security they need heading into the April college draft, when they're likely to select a running back on the first day regardless of Green's status. It would be far better for the Packers if they still had their leading rusher from last year, but based on their actions it doesn't appear that they are deathly afraid of the alternative.

If Green gets out of Houston without signing a contract, it could be a good sign for the Packers. Green seems to be giving them top priority, given his love for Green Bay and organization, but should the Texans flash big money he'd have to seriously consider finishing his career in the Lone Star State.

With Martin, the Packers have fewer options because the number of quality tight ends available is not very high. They might be forced to roll with youngsters such as Tory Humphrey and Zac Alcorn behind Bubba Franks and Donald Lee.

They refuse to meet Martin's price for now and aren't sure whether he'll find a team that satisfied him.

So for now the Packers wait. Just as they planned.

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems the local media are adopting to the Ted plan of not overpaying for players. I'm kind of excited now with new faces on offense while Green Bay Packer south aka the Texans can deal with the mess of Sherman's wake.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK so we weren't one of the teams to throw $50 million dollars at average-skilled offensive linemen--TED THOMPSON SUCKS!

...I really have no problem with Ted's philosophy on free agent signings...if you're in a bidding war for David Martin, you made a wrong move, and Ted never got involved, just as long as he gets us a solid starting back

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonard Davis, Derrick Dockery, and Eric Steinbach are all vastly overpaid now.

Drew Bennett was overpaid. Ahman Green at 30 is overpaid.

Nate Clements is a good but not great player and he's overpaid.

The best value signing was New England getting Adalius Thomas. What a shock it's the franchise that continues to win games because they know what they're doing.

Green Bay is going to sign some guys. Just not the elite names. They're going to wait and sign the more 2nd tier free agents.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and thats the way it should be..... all of a sudden the patriots have become the new york yankees.

thomas and now maybe moss.... they look to be gearing up for something...

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that not one TE has been signed. Anywhere. Johnson, Stevens(please no), and Graham are all still FAs.
I think TT will stand pat with Manuel, at least give him another year, see if he picks up the scheme any better after TC. I don't think that we'll see any safetys signed by the Pack, except something for depth.

Reaction score
I've heard Deon Grant's name PIB, and I must confess that'd be awesome.

If they don't land Grant, then I agree with you that they'll keep Manuel. Nothing to confirm the Pack are interested in Grant, it is a rumour at this point.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I've heard Deon Grant's name PIB, and I must confess that'd be awesome.

If they don't land Grant, then I agree with you that they'll keep Manuel. Nothing to confirm the Pack are interested in Grant, it is a rumour at this point.

Grant seems like an underachiever to me. I wouldn't mind the signing but I wouldn't jump in joy for it either.

Personally I think Mike Doss offers a lot more upside and is a very under the radar player right now.

Of course it’s not my call.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're in a bidding war for David Martin, you made a wrong move...

21 million
less 5 million for draftees and rookies,
less 8 million up front money for Barnett's extension.
less 2 million in reserve for injury replacement signings if needed,
Leaves 6 million.

It has to be used for roster cuts(Kevin Barry, Ferguson, et al),
free agents,
or extensions for current Packer players.

Not that much money in this environment.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
HatestheEagles084 said:
If you're in a bidding war for David Martin, you made a wrong move...

21 million
less 5 million for draftees and rookies,
less 8 million up front money for Barnett's extension.
less 2 million in reserve for injury replacement signings if needed,
Leaves 6 million.

It has to be used for roster cuts(Kevin Barry, Ferguson, et al),
free agents,
or extensions for current Packer players.

Not that much money in this environment.

forgot money for a new rb and or moss

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Doss is a system guy. Our defense is a lot different from Indy's. He won't fit.

He's more than just a system guy. He runs a sub 4.5 40. He has the speed to close on the ball. He can go up and get the ball at it's highest points and take it away from receivers. He's shown all those skills in the past. A system guy is a guy who is limited and lacks physical attributes. Someone like Daymeion Hughes who'll be drafted this year from Cal. Doss has the physical attributes. He's had durability concerns and is probably average at best when it comes to making tackles but the lack of not being a good athlete is one thing he doesn’t have a problem with. He’ll work fine outside of the cover 2.

Definite upgrade over Marquand Manuel.

Members online

Latest posts