1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wade Phillips now?!?...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by musccy, Jan 4, 2006.

1. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    profootballtalk.com

POSTED 1:10 a.m. EST, January 4, 2006

PHILLIPS WADES TO GREEN BAY

Word out of Green Bay is that the Packers are bringing in Chargers defensive coordinator on Wednesday to interview for Green Bay's vacant head coaching position.

Phillips previously has coached the Broncos and the Bills. He recently was linked to the Texans job, but we're told that he will not be a candidate for that position.

Phillips has no experience with Packers quarterback Brett Favre, which makes us think that Favre would be more likely to walk if someone like Phillips gets the job.

We also wonder whether and to what extent the Cheeseheads will take to Phillips, a defensive-minded coach who might not bring the kind of sizzle factor to the job that other candidates would.

2. Aceschnd

Aceschnd Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no way Philips should be our coach. I can't believe the Pack would give up Sherman for him.

3. ravage

ravage Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It would be like going from the OK/good to the absolutely horrible.

4. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    I can't believe people are assuming a interview means they got the job.

5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well we can at least see TT will leave no stone unturned in his search for a new HC.

6. ravage

ravage Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No it doesn't but it does mean that they're interested. Which means they think Wade is a better option than Sherman. Not!

7. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

How? It means TT is looking at many possible choices. Hell maybe MAYBE just MAYBE Wade could be better than Sherman. The fact is YOU don't know I don't know, NO ONE knows.

Stop jumping TT's *** for LOOKING. err nevermind you have your opinion it simply differs from my own. whatever

I'm glad he's looking at everyone. If he interviews Tice THEN i'd be in a uproar for sure lol

8. ravage

ravage Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm as happy as you are that TT has a long list of candidates. He should. But Wade is not the answer. One of the two big knocks I've heard issued about Sherman was his postseason record. Well Wade's head coaching post season record is worse, 0-3. His regular season record is also worse than Sherman's.

Wade is a very good DC but I don't think he's HC caliber.

9. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The list needs to be narrowe quickly or your top choice will be signed before you get a shot.

10. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Maybe when he hires a coach he has all these other guys he can say hey i got a good feel on this guy as a coordinator, check him out first.

I mean really we don't know his 100% motives for interviewing who is he other than he's trying to ensure he gets the best man for the job. I don't get why some want to bash him for talking to other ppl

11. PackerCoz

PackerCoz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That means we have until, uh, APRIL, the time of the NFL Draft... Chill out people... we have plenty of time...

Just like any job... you conduct the interview. Besides, isn't that what the Packers are paying TT to do? He wants to get the FULL range of coaching styles. No, Wade Phillips doesn't look like the right fit, but let's trust TT to make that decision... You gotta commend him for trying to get a broader range of interested coaches...

12. ravage

ravage Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I do like that idea.

13. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    It will take time to see if thompson is sorry for replacing sherman.

14. vikefan

vikefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, PC!

15. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    youre responding to my posts saying im right. how flattering.

16. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We already have the new head coach, his name is Bates , Jim Bates..

17. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    We don't have til April genius. TT better name someone soon. There are 8 teams looking for a head coach. If you find the right one sign him before someone else does. He obviously already knows who he wants, but he must go through the "politically correct" NFL interview process.

18. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    If the Packers hire Wade Phillips, they need to come up with a dress code - how about forcing him to wear a 10-gallon cowboy hat like his dad did when he was roaming the sidelines???

19. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's discouraging to hear that Wade Phillips is being interviewed. A friend of mine lived in Denver during the Wade Phillips era and told me many anecdotes about Phillips' stupidity and arrogance. He's been a good defensive coordinator, but he seems to lack the social skills to be an effective head coach.

20. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The reports of Tice and Phillps being interviewd make me nervous. It reminds of the 49ers firing Mooch so they could hire Dennis Erickson.

21. ravage

ravage Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch. Don't even think that way, it could come true.