Vince Young working out for Packers Monday

H

HardRightEdge

The good news is Young should be motivated because he's flat broke on his a*s with creditors making him sell his personal possessions. He should be motivated. But he is a knucklehead so I won't hold my breath.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd stated previously before he was picked up, that I like Colt McCoy as a backup for Rodgers. He's still a relatively young player with a lot of potential who's just had a lot of tough going in the AFC North as Cleveland's starter. But not a lot of people liked that idea around here.

I didn't know that he was a free agent. That idea sounds a lot better than this head case!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
None. But you can fool yourself into a false sense of security thinking there are. Besides, who says Young can run? He hasn't played since 2011 and he looked chubby and a little slow the last time I saw him.

Last time you saw him was on tv 1-2 years ago? People can lose weight..

Since they signed him, I bet he runs better than other 2 back ups.

He isnt smart, this offense require smarts...He wont get this offense for a while...so while he is studying it, I have a gut feeling he will run scout team

just my opinion

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could also possibly install some kind of wildcat short yardage offense for him though I don't like seeing Rodgers off the field. You could go with Cobb, Young and Lacy in the backfield. It can't be worse than Kuhn with a 0 yd gain on a 3rd and 1.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They could also possibly install some kind of wildcat short yardage offense for him though I don't like seeing Rodgers off the field. You could go with Cobb, Young and Lacy in the backfield. It can't be worse than Kuhn with a 0 yd gain on a 3rd and 1.

I rather risk a Vince Young getting hurt in a wildcat than Cobb

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think it makes much difference who the #3 QB unless you are developing a youngster. If Coleman's performance in the scrimmage confirmed what the staff was thinking about him - or if that really is indicative of what we could expect if he had to play in the regular season, how much worse could Young be? IMO Harrell is firmly established as the backup and if he has to play a ton, the Packers are screwed. If both Rodgers and Harrell go down they're screwed "squared". No matter who the 3rd QB is I don't expect him to be active game days unless something very bad has happened.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I don't think it makes much difference who the #3 QB unless you are developing a youngster. If Coleman's performance in the scrimmage confirmed what the staff was thinking about him - or if that really is indicative of what we could expect if he had to play in the regular season, how much worse could Young be? IMO Harrell is firmly established as the backup and if he has to play a ton, the Packers are screwed. If both Rodgers and Harrell go down they're screwed "squared". No matter who the 3rd QB is I don't expect him to be active game days unless something very bad has happened.
Spot on Jack, but it's interesting to think what might happen should he merit a roster spot. Only Coleman can be put on the PS right? It's difficult to see him making the roster but it sure will be interesting when we see him in preseason games. He either beats Harrell or he's gone. I'm an optimist so I'm pretending MM will get his head screwed on straight and the Packers have a viable backup.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rogers goes down, and stays down, we're finished as a contender. Only Steve Young, in his prime, would help the situation. A more pressing need right now is a tackle.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'd stated previously before he was picked up, that I like Colt McCoy as a backup for Rodgers. He's still a relatively young player with a lot of potential who's just had a lot of tough going in the AFC North as Cleveland's starter. But not a lot of people liked that idea around here.

Colt McCoy? Really?? That kid is 100% P*ssy!!! He can't get hit and not get knocked out of a game or have his mom call the GM and complain about her little bitty son getting hit by those big mean men on the field. Hell no on McCoy.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We could sit here and make a list of positives and negatives about vince young, but I think the negatives list would surpass the positives. The only thing he really has going for him is that he has real world playing time under his belt. I would hardly call what Harrel has "playing time" considering he messes up simple hand offs. The other positive may be that Vince has better size and most likely better mobility. Other than those two: Vince might still be a head case and has not been under center on a "real" team since Tennesee was actually doing well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Vince Young 6-5 230 per Packers.com roster list

In college he was 6-5 228 to 233 depending on what scouting web site you look at..

So sounds like he is at his college weight

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is supposedly in good shape.

MM is pretty progressive and creative with his play calling. I think Vince may get an opportunity to do some things.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ok with this signing. Granted I think based on the family night scrimmage we can see that Coleman is the worst of Favre: The Sequel, but I still think Harrell can do the job. He had a spread type system in college, and if Aaron went down I think he could be an average to decent job at winning games. Do I think he'll take over Aaron's job if Aaron gets injured, probably not. Only one Favre/Majikowski situation comes along in a lifetime.

Coleman at this point is looking like a wasted pick. I saw a couple of little league mistakes out of him that led to INTs Saturday night, and 2nd year in the NFL you just can't do that, especially in a practice type setting.

Vince Young is NOT back up QB material. He's third string break glass ONLY in case of fire Emergency quality as a QB. I'm saying this as someone who isn't a fan of run first pass second QBs, which Young is one. These guys seem to develop their legs first, then their arms, then eventually after 10 years in the NFL they learn to read a defense.

So why is Ted doing this: IMO there are three schools of thought. The medias school of thought is that BOTH backups are attrocious, can't even pass gas etc., we need a backup and Young is the best available. I doubt this on all levels.

The forum's school of thought is maybe he can help us prepare for RGIII, Kaep etc. If this is the case why not sign him to the practice squad after camp, and use him for that first couple weeks then let him go somewhere else. Why give him a 1 year contract?

My own personal school of thought is this: (I hope to God I'm wrong) Ted may be trying to do the Branch Rickey thing. Think about this, if Aaron goes down and Young is #2, he'd be the first black starting quarterback in team history. As I said I hope I am dead WRONG about this, I'd like to think Ted is smarter and has a football reason for signing this guy.

I guess this is another one of those moments of "Ok Ted show me it's gonna work".

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted didnt sign him to be the 1st starting black q.b...Ted doesnt operate that way..

People have to remember, Ted doesnt sign anyone just to sign someone...VY worked out and the liked what they saw..

Think about how many players have worked out and the Packers didn't sign them..

When we are in week 3, see where Young is..That will tell a lot more..

People are getting their ******* in a bunch w/o know what is really going on

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'm not ok with this signing. Granted I think based on the family night scrimmage we can see that Coleman is the worst of Favre: The Sequel, but I still think Harrell can do the job. He had a spread type system in college, and if Aaron went down I think he could be an average to decent job at winning games. Do I think he'll take over Aaron's job if Aaron gets injured, probably not. Only one Favre/Majikowski situation comes along in a lifetime.

Coleman at this point is looking like a wasted pick. I saw a couple of little league mistakes out of him that led to INTs Saturday night, and 2nd year in the NFL you just can't do that, especially in a practice type setting.

Vince Young is NOT back up QB material. He's third string break glass ONLY in case of fire Emergency quality as a QB. I'm saying this as someone who isn't a fan of run first pass second QBs, which Young is one. These guys seem to develop their legs first, then their arms, then eventually after 10 years in the NFL they learn to read a defense.

So why is Ted doing this: IMO there are three schools of thought. The medias school of thought is that BOTH backups are attrocious, can't even pass gas etc., we need a backup and Young is the best available. I doubt this on all levels.

The forum's school of thought is maybe he can help us prepare for RGIII, Kaep etc. If this is the case why not sign him to the practice squad after camp, and use him for that first couple weeks then let him go somewhere else. Why give him a 1 year contract?

My own personal school of thought is this: (I hope to God I'm wrong) Ted may be trying to do the Branch Rickey thing. Think about this, if Aaron goes down and Young is #2, he'd be the first black starting quarterback in team history. As I said I hope I am dead WRONG about this, I'd like to think Ted is smarter and has a football reason for signing this guy.

I guess this is another one of those moments of "Ok Ted show me it's gonna work".

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounVi00.htm

Looking at this stat line link, VY would be serviceable as a back up. If you can discount the rookie 2006 running around season, he really didn't run all that much, his next biggest running QB year he averages 23 yards per game, that aint much. If he has matured and can learn, he will be a decent back up, better than what we have now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing he has over what we have now is that he WAS a starter.Regardless of why he started, he did...So he has experience.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They signed Young because they are not happy with Harrell and Coleman. So far, all they did was work him out and sign him to a vet minimum deal. If he sucks worse than the other guys, he'll be gone...like Muir last year.

Brian Carriveau@BrianCarriveau 1m
MM on Vince Young, read-option: I think Vince has that ability and he can help out the scout team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I sent this to nfln twitter 15 minutes ago..

@nflnetwork Pack sign Vince Young, MM gives presser on VY practice and we dont get it on NFLN? Instead talking to Buc players- #why

They come back from commercial THEN have MM's presser

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If you re-read my post, you'll see that I compared Rodgers to Harrell, not Rodgers to Young

Well that's just as bad. Rodgers is first round pick. There's expectation. There is clear next level talent in a first round pick that's why they are first round picks. Harrel is undrafted. Usually there's a reason for that.

Colt McCoy? Really?? That kid is 100% P*ssy!!! He can't get hit and not get knocked out of a game or have his mom call the GM and complain about her little bitty son getting hit by those big mean men on the field. Hell no on McCoy.

You mean he can't get spear headed by James Harrison? I'm not sure many QB's can. I'm not sure either that many QB's can come into the league as a rookie and perform well in a division with some of the best defensive teams in this league twice a year without any weapons besides Josh Cribbs.

And don't give me that garbage about him being a ***** and not being able to take a hit. When Rodgers has been knocked out of games before on legal hits that were far less vicious than what Colt McCoy took and Rodgers whines about getting hit too.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We're talking about backup QBs here. There just aren't many we're going to be excited about coming in to run things. God, I would love to see the team add an OT.

Members online

Latest posts