Vince Young working out for Packers Monday

footballfan31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You already have obsessive fan boys wishing for Aaron Rodgers to go down with a broken leg or acl tear.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/124492-VY-s-2013-destination/page181

Prepare to lose all faith in humanity after reading that thread. I'm a Vince Young fan, but some people are downright scary there is a group of people in that thread that believe Jeff Fisher has Vince Young blacklisted and there is a big conspiracy amongst NFL General Managers to keep VY out of a job.

"You want Aaron Rodgers to tear his ACL tomorrow. You want VY to takeover and transition to starter even smoother than Kaepernick did in SF. Then you want VY to win the Super Bowl. If he has to dismantle your beloved little Cowboys in the process, SO BE IT."

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good news is Young should be motivated because he's flat broke on his a*s with creditors making him sell his personal possessions. He should be motivated.

Whatever works.

But he is a knucklehead so I won't hold my breath.

Which is why you are where you are and those who work on Packers player personal are where they are.
I trust them more than us fans. They are the experts and know what's right for the team more than we do.
That's why they have those jobs.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever works.

Which is why you are where you are and those who work on Packers player personal are where they are.
I trust them more than us fans. They are the experts and know what's right for the team more than we do.
Thank you captain OBVIOUS! LOL

H

HardRightEdge

Which is why you are where you are and those who work on Packers player personal are where they are. I trust them more than us fans. They are the experts and know what's right for the team more than we do.

What will you say if they cut him? "The team knows best"?

You miss the point that it costs nearly nothing to have him in camp...the weekly camp stipend and 1 of 90 roster spots. This is an extended tryout...not a commitment. In other words, they don't have any idea yet if he's right for the team. You've leapt to a conclusion.

One wonders how the Tebow enthusiasts correlate to the Young enthusiasts.

H

HardRightEdge

I wish I could give you more thumbs up for that one.

There is just something I like about this guy.
Maybe because he's getting a second chance and it's with my favorite pro team.
And he looked good in their first pre-season.
I hope he makes it.

4th. chance, actually.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Well, out of the currently available QB's on the market the Packers front office had to choose from, VY may have been one of the top guys on a very talentless list. These are the guys they had to choose from ( VY was on that same list )

Tyler Thigpen
Trent Edwards
Matt Leinart
Byron Leftwich
Charlie Batch
John Beck
Jordan Palmer
Levi Brown

Maybe leftwich was a better choice, at least he isnt a head case lol

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What will you say if they cut him? "The team knows best"?

You miss the point that it costs nearly nothing to have him in camp...the weekly camp stipend and 1 of 90 roster spots. This is an extended tryout...not a commitment. In other words, they don't have any idea yet if he's right for the team. You've leapt to a conclusion.

One wonders how the Tebow enthusiasts correlate to the Young enthusiasts.
The biggest expense is the roster spot that he occupies. The reps that he takes. With him on board, there is one less other guy to check out and there are less opportunities for Harrell and Tennesssee guy to improve.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, out of the currently available QB's on the market the Packers front office had to choose from, VY may have been one of the top guys on a very talentless list. These are the guys they had to choose from ( VY was on that same list )

Tyler Thigpen
Trent Edwards
Matt Leinart
Byron Leftwich
Charlie Batch
John Beck
Jordan Palmer
Levi Brown

Maybe leftwich was a better choice, at least he isnt a head case lol

I would've taken a long look at Thigpen...

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I would've taken a long look at Thigpen...

Maybe, but the pick'ins are slim with that list to say the least. Thigpen has a career completion percentage of 54% and low 5.5 yds per attempt career stat. Not to mention he is not mobile in the least bit. But, with that list, they are all bums imo.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but the pick'ins are slim with that list to say the least. Thigpen has a career completion percentage of 54% and low 5.5 yds per attempt career stat. Not to mention he is not mobile in the least bit. But, with that list, they are all bums imo.

In 2008, Thigpen had 62 carries for 386 yards and 3 TDs. That's a 6.2 ypc average. His career average is 5.9 ypc. Both averages are higher than Rodgers has ever put up as a ball carrier in any season. Thigpen is no Kaepernick but saying he is "not mobile in the least" is just factually incorrect.

Obviously, the completion percentage isn't ideal and he doesn't sling it for a big yards per attempt. If these were better, Thigpen would probably be playing somewhere. But since Harrell has only a 50% completion percentage on 5 yards per attempt and Vince Young has a 57% completion percentage on 6.87 yards per attempt, I fail to see why Thigpen should be summarily ruled out as a bum on this basis.

If Rodgers goes down none of the options are exciting and we can pick out flaws with all of them. I just thought Thigpen's stretch as a starter with KC in 2008 was impressive for a third-stringer. Granted, they retooled the offense on the fly to match his skill set (spread formations, pistol formations) but he engineered scoring drives. The Packers have better offensive personnel to put around him and our staff can coach guys up. Thigpen's only 29 years old and he would be cheap. Seems like he might have been a low-risk contender at camp and, increasingly, I'm beginning to wonder if he's better than any of our current options.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that Young is gone, let's sign Jordan Rodgers off of the Bears practice squad if that's where he lands. He doesn't need to be anywhere near a Bears roster. He's got to be better than Harrell and Young.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Per NFL rules: After 11 a.m. CDT Sunday, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of eight
players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player Active List for less than nine regular-season games during their only Accrued Season(s). A player cannot participate on the Practice Squad for more than three seasons.

A player earns a year of free-agency credit by being active for at least six regular-season games. So a player who plays in fewer than six games is still eligible for the practice squad. Vince Young has started 50 career regular-season games, making him ineligible. 25 minutes ago

H

HardRightEdge

Now that Young is gone, let's sign Jordan Rodgers off of the Bears practice squad if that's where he lands. He doesn't need to be anywhere near a Bears roster. He's got to be better than Harrell and Young.

Like any business, having related individuals within the same chain of command has serious pitfalls, particularly when one individual is a star and the other isn't. When discipline and demands need to placed on the lesser, then the greater can take it personally. To avoid personal issues, the lesser may need to be given favored status which does not sit well other unrelated members of the chain of command. There is no winning here unless conditions are optimal, which somehow never seems to be the case.

H

HardRightEdge

There will be a veteran QB signed. Here are some candidates:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/221920421.html

There are a couple of guys on this list who impressed me as playing some decent football at one time or another.

Matt Moore and Trent Edwards are gut reactions, though I can't say I've seen them play in a couple of years. Seems to me Moore had a good 1/2 season with Miami once upon a time.

PS: Looking at these cuts it looks like Myles White might have made it. That's the kind of stretch-the-field speed we could use in a spot role.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Nope. Myles White cut. Looks like we're going with 5 WRs including Ross and Boykin.