Vince Young working out for Packers Monday

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ that could be possible

I just don't think vince young fits well enough for us, not to mention he is a complete and utter head case. He really never was that good......but as a back up, he may be servicable.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Vince Young was cut last year by the Bills after they acquired Tarvaris Jackson. That should give you pause right there.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that he could be a practice decoy but what scares me is that maybe TT thinks the backups suck and the line is so shaky that he has to be prepared to win without Rodgers. Vince could come in a game and make things happen on the fly. He is one of those guys who does better in complete chaos as opposed to a game plan. The more you teach him and mold and shape him the worse he gets. The more backyard the better for him.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What position, tight end now that Ryan Taylor got hurt, Crabtree gone, Quarless probably re-injured?
Young can't throw.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see him as a better option than Harell and Coleman, and as someone mentioned earlier a guy who could pose as Kap or RG3 for practice purposes. I guess you could also give that role to Randel Cobb but i wouldn't risk the injuy. I say he makes the team...at least for a couple of weeks. Ironic i watched the 2006 USC vs Texas National Championship and VY looked like he would be a beast in the NFL the way he ran and threw all over USC.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone dispute the fact that the back ups the Pack currently has are inept? Word is VY is in tremendous playing shape and is ready to buckle down and work hard at his craft. He is an athletic guy. For me this is a NO BRAINER. The only concern would be his attitude. If he coexists and collaborates with the team, I like him over Harrell or Coleman.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely
Can anyone dispute the fact that the back ups the Pack currently has are inept?
Absolutely, because "inept" is a term that only a fan would use because we haven't been watching them on the practice fields every day, just reading reports.

Harrell and Coleman are not starters and I doubt that they ever will be. Inept is a strong word and just isn't true. The guys have flaws but reports are the both have improved over last year. Coleman looked strong early but has a made a couple dumb throws as of late. You can correct decision-making (unless we're talking Favre) but both have the skills to be good backups.

If Vince Young comes in and wows the staff, I have no problem bringing him along. However, I doubt that anybody can step into the QB position and learn it well enough to execute within a few weeks. They'll get a portion of the playbook down, but it's much harder than if they had brought in a backup during free agency. I have severe concerns about force-feeding the entire playbook to a QB just as the pre-season is ready to begin. Granted we don't need him to start and he'll have time to learn it all (we hope) but that's the problem right there.

We'll see how it all pans out, but my guess it's to spark the competition for the #2 job and get someone to seize hold of the reigns

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I bet it's because we play Kaepernick in week 1 and RG3 in week 2. We can simulate their play with Young which is good for practice.

Yeah our coaches had that same idea last year about playing against Joe Webb. Neither Webb nor Young are Kaep. Young may have been but that was a long time ago.

I'm actually surprised that some of you are so supportive of this move.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well we know Harrell has a noodle arm and Coleman has the head of a 12 yr old on a starting QB's body. Those things have shown they will not be changing any time soon. Neither of those guys will come into a game and win it or be able to snag a win or two in a pinch. VY is not a great answer either but he brings a different facet to the offense and if he had to come in for a game or two it would give D coordinators some different things to plan for than some slack jawed back ups that can barely find an open receiver.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The "move" is bringing him in for a look - do you oppose that? I don't mind the Packers bringing in any player for evaluation.

I think what this means is if Harrell has lost even a minute of sleep over losing his backup spot, those concerns are behind him for this season. Is Harrell inept? Compared to the best QB in the league, yes. But I don't think we have reason to say definitively he would not be able to handle the duties of a backup QB: Keep the Packers playoff hopes alive during a relatively short absence by Rodgers. We will get a better indication of where he is this preseason. If Rodgers is out for a long stretch of games and/or the playoffs, the Packers’ playoff chances will vanish, but Harrell may be able to manage the job for a short period of time, particularly if he has the benefit of a consistent running game.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
The "move" is bringing him in for a look - do you oppose that? I don't mind the Packers bringing in any player for evaluation.

I had suggested bringing in some camp bodies before and got ridiculed, mocked and laughed out of my own threads.

I think what this means is if Harrell has lost even a minute of sleep over losing his backup spot, those concerns are behind him for this season. Is Harrell inept? Compared to the best QB in the league, yes. But I don't think we have reason to say definitively he would not be able to handle the duties of a backup QB: Keep the Packers playoff hopes alive during a relatively short absence by Rodgers. We will get a better indication of where he is this preseason. If Rodgers is out for a long stretch of games and/or the playoffs, the Packers’ playoff chances will vanish, but Harrell may be able to manage the job for a short period of time, particularly if he has the benefit of a consistent running game.

I personally don't think Harrell is fit to lead the team in the event Rodgers can't. And I don't see why bringing in a QB (that is no better than Harrell, at least from what was on the field for the Eagles) makes much sense.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can agree with most of this but would change the last part just a bit. IMHO Harrell may be able to manage the job for a short period of time, if and only if, he has the benefit of a consistent running game. No running game allows the D to sit in mid range zones knowing Graham Harrell isn't going to be able to throw it over their heads. If the short and medium routes are covered do you trust him to hit a guy between a corner and safety in a deep zone? I sure do not. His skill set paired with no running game allows the opponent to defend both run and pass at the same time and really strangle an offense

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sigh....Before Rodgers became the starter in 2008, I don't think that many people felt that Rodgers could even carry Favre's jock strap. He was inconsistent during all preseason games and was injury prone. That was the widely-held assessment. If you ask me, MM and Philbin created a very quarterback-friendly offense.....except for the whole 50 sacks-per-season thing. Harrell would do alright as long as nobody steps on his feet during a handoff

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Ugh...is there really no better free agent option for back up right now?

I'd stated previously before he was picked up, that I like Colt McCoy as a backup for Rodgers. He's still a relatively young player with a lot of potential who's just had a lot of tough going in the AFC North as Cleveland's starter. But not a lot of people liked that idea around here.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Sigh....Before Rodgers became the starter in 2008, I don't think that many people felt that Rodgers could even carry Favre's jock strap.

That's not a great comparison. Rodgers was a first round pick like Young was but he was not only relatively unknown but he spent a bit of time riding the bench and learning.

It's safe to say that Vince Young has proven to be a bust. A journeyman with bad practice habits and even worse off the field baggage.

In recent years he seems to be taking his profession more seriously though, but I'm still not convinced he could carry the team if Rodgers gets hurt

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Young is mobile and has an arm. He went to the pro bowl his rookie year. Being out of the NFL for a year should have given him an attitude adjustment. He still has skills and I think he will have the benefit of a great coach who knows how to handle players if they have an attitude. Just ask Wood.

We will see if he is still here after camp.

H

HardRightEdge

If I remember correctly, Young's score on the Wonderlic was one of the lowest ever recorded for a QB. And he's supposed to learn this offense in a matter of a few weeks? This is an overreach. Or Harrell and Coleman are really THAT bad. However you slice it, it's not a good sign.

As noted above, Young is NOT Kaepernick, especially at age 30. RGIII? He won't be running much on us in week 2.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Young's score on the Wonderlic was one of the lowest ever recorded for a QB. And he's supposed to learn this offense in a matter of a few weeks? This is an overreach. Or Harrell and Coleman are really THAT bad. However you slice it, it's not a good sign.

As noted above, Young is NOT Kaepernick, especially at age 30. RGIII? He won't be running much on us in week 2.

True that he is not those q/b

But what q/b is there that can run and give the defense some idea of what it is like?

H

HardRightEdge

True that he is not those q/b

But what q/b is there that can run and give the defense some idea of what it is like?

None. But you can fool yourself into a false sense of security thinking there are. Besides, who says Young can run? He hasn't played since 2011 and he looked chubby and a little slow the last time I saw him.

If they need somebody to practice against, they ought to put Cobb back there for some non-contact work.

They signed Young because they are not happy with Harrell and Coleman. So far, all they did was work him out and sign him to a vet minimum deal. If he sucks worse than the other guys, he'll be gone...like Muir last year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts