Updates on players being cut

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

Now that all is said and done....I missed on these.

Flynn..tho I think there is a trade in the wind.
Bradford..will never see the game day roster.
Mulumba...I had Hubbard.
Goodson..who would have thought.

Let's see who comes back for the PS. I've only got 7 of 10 listed because a few of the ones I would list are going elsewhere I fear.
I missed on Bradford, Mulumba, Goodson. I had Myles White, Hubbard and Luther Robinson instead. I switched out Mulumba for Hubbard based on the last preseason game on a close call.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We must have a pretty deep roster when we are arguing who our 6th CB should be.

I thought Bradford looked more comfortable playing ILB in the final preseason game
And that probably saved his job.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, they have enough depth at CB to look at the guy with higher upside in Goodson. He certainly isn't ready to play now, and certainly not as ready as Rolle. They got a really good look at Rolle last year and this year though, so they must know what his upside is. Bradford probably won't dress but might turn into something at some point.

Who gets cut first when/if we add a veteran olineman or dlineman to replace Thornton?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Goodson should start celebrating yet. I think they sign an o-lineman tomorrow and he is gone to the PS.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, they have enough depth at CB to look at the guy with higher upside in Goodson. He certainly isn't ready to play now, and certainly not as ready as Rolle. They got a really good look at Rolle last year and this year though, so they must know what his upside is.

Goodson is already 25. The upside is pretty limited. He's shown zero ball awareness and can't seem to change directions without slipping/falling down.

Rolle is a year younger and wasn't the same liability in coverage against third stringers. The Rolle cut/Goodson roster selection is absolutely perplexing. Don't like it at all.

Otherwise, whatever.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Goodson is already 25. The upside is pretty limited. He's shown zero ball awareness and can't seem to change directions without slipping/falling down.

Rolle is a year younger and wasn't the same liability in coverage against third stringers. The Rolle cut/Goodson roster selection is absolutely perplexing. Don't like it at all.

Otherwise, whatever.

Exactly, this guy is a converted basketball player and he is 25. He looked lost out there at times. Well see how this experiment works out. McCarthy talks about making "big plays" and Rolle had those when he got a chance. I am not trying to say Rolle is gonna be some elite player but he really impressed me as the pre-season wore on.

It really is a total head scratcher.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't agree with keeping Goodson at all, however, I may have an explanation for it. If the Packers are planning to sign someone, they may cut Goodson. That will put Goodson under more of a microscope then the players cut today, so cutting a guy that the NFL will be less likely to want after the major cuts makes sense. But if he's actually picked of Banjo and Rolle, I just don't get that.

I know some people expect us to sign an OL. I don't. I expect us to sign a DL. 8 OL is a pretty normal number, but 5 DL is not normal. That is very light.

That makes sense. They got an O-lineman coming in tomorrow. I would rather see em sign a D-lineman too.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn't miss on anyone - I got the "final" 53 exactly right: http://whoamikidding.com/orhowgullibleareyou.rosterguess?

Sometimes the obvious - as seen by even fans - is the right thing: I wish they would have put Bradford at ILB from his first practice/walk through. He had a better chance to contribute there and OLB was much more crowded. Even his supposedly more natural position of OLB was going to be a big adjustment.

Obviously Goodson and Bradford were both kept on upside. That's OK, but in the future McCarthy and others should stop saying players make the rosters based mostly on play in preseason games.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with keeping Goodson at all, however, I may have an explanation for it. If the Packers are planning to sign someone, they may cut Goodson. That will put Goodson under more of a microscope then the players cut today, so cutting a guy that the NFL will be less likely to want after the major cuts makes sense. But if he's actually picked of Banjo and Rolle, I just don't get that.

I know some people expect us to sign an OL. I don't. I expect us to sign a DL. 8 OL is a pretty normal number, but 5 DL is not normal. That is very light.

Well, I'm glad we have a working theory for some otherwise perplexing decision-making.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Nothing surprising about those cuts.

I'm actually surprised the Packers kept Bradford and Goodson over guys like Myles White, Rolle, Banjo and Stoneburner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not the only ones that are surprised/puzzled. The beat writers seem to disagree with the Goodson move as well.

For example, here is a quote by Jason Wilde:
"The one head-scratcher is Goodson, who did little to impress – and actually had some painful-looking growing pains – in preseason but made the roster based on potential and draft position. Cornerback Jumal Rolle and safety Chris Banjo were more worthy of the roster spot than the ex-Gonzaga hoopster."

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised the Packers kept Bradford and Goodson over guys like Myles White, Rolle, Banjo and Stoneburner.
I think I read somewhere about trying to get Stoneburner on IR? The one I wish they'd kept is Banjo.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think I read somewhere about trying to get Stoneburner on IR? The one I wish they'd kept is Banjo.

The Packers waived Stoneburner injured so other teams could claim him now. If he clears waivers he will be placed on the Packers IR list and the team will try to reach an injury settlement with him, meaning they could bring him back later in the season.

H

HardRightEdge

I didn't miss on anyone - I got the "final" 53 exactly right: http://whoamikidding.com/orhowgullibleareyou.rosterguess?

Sometimes the obvious - as seen by even fans - is the right thing: I wish they would have put Bradford at ILB from his first practice/walk through. He had a better chance to contribute there and OLB was much more crowded. Even his supposedly more natural position of OLB was going to be a big adjustment.

Obviously Goodson and Bradford were both kept on upside. That's OK, but in the future McCarthy and others should stop saying players make the rosters based mostly on play in preseason games.
Perceived upside can be the only explanation.

Yes, keeping guys like Goodson and Bradford discredit the previously heralded "competitive" aspect of training camp.

By the way, your link took me to dead end. I'm not sure chatting about life's purpose with some Mormons (the religious group, not the punter's family) is what you intended.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, keeping guys like Goodson and Bradford discredit the previously heralded "competitive" aspect of training camp.

By the way, your link took me to dead end. I'm not sure chatting about life's purpose with some Mormons (the religious group, not the punter's family) is what you intended.

The link was sarcastic

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not convinced Goodson has more upside than Rolle. He's already 25 years old and has looked lost during parts of practices and preseason games.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
:D At least that provides some exposure to the Mormons - about time since the Amish are getting all the love here!

LTF is correct of course, the link is sarcastic and by his response I'm sure HRE got that. For those too lazy or indifferent to look at it (either is of course completely understandable), here again is the link: http:// Who Am I Kidding.com / Or How Gullible Are You. Roster Guess?

Last edited:

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Well, they have enough depth at CB to look at the guy with higher upside in Goodson. He certainly isn't ready to play now, and certainly not as ready as Rolle. They got a really good look at Rolle last year and this year though, so they must know what his upside is. Bradford probably won't dress but might turn into something at some point.

Who gets cut first when/if we add a veteran olineman or dlineman to replace Thornton?
Neal and Peppers have the LB/DE designation so I think they stand pat at DL

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Ryan Wood both Myles White and Chris Banjo will be signed to the practice squad. So both cleared waivers.

Edit: Apparently there is already a separate topic for practise squad news.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that Goodson is nearly as much of a lost cause as a lot of people here do. He's super raw right now and has no business dressing on game day but he does have traits that could be really useful down the road. Tramon Williams wasn't a polished guy coming out of college and he benefited from years of work under the radar. Goodson is quick and can jump and tries hard, so this is something that could totally work out down the road. Besides, would Rolle have dressed on this team either? We're pretty deep at CB.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

What is the practise squad ? I don`t understand this part of football.