TT strategy will net 2015 compensatory picks

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since both Julius Peppers and Letroy Guion were both cut by their former teams they do not count when it comes to awarding 2015 compensatory picks. So in somewhat of a genius move by TT he managed to pick up two players while ensuring he will still get picks for the loss of James Jones and EDS. He could still add one more player who was cut by his former team and who could really fill a need for the team, Devin Hester.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hester signed with Atlanta but.......even though I absolutely can not stand the guy when he is on the other team.....hester's backup Weems was or will be cut and could be had cheaply. He can return and gun on special teams with the best of them.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn that sucks Hester would have been perfect. Weems is pretty good but I'd rather get Dri Archer 5-8 173 4.26 40 or De'anthony Thomas 5-9 174 4.35 40, in the 5th round. Both can return play RB or play slot reciever. Now that the best returner in NFL history is off the table might as well go with the potential of youth with speed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Since both Julius Peppers and Letroy Guion were both cut by their former teams they do not count when it comes to awarding 2015 compensatory picks. So in somewhat of a genius move by TT he managed to pick up two players while ensuring he will still get picks for the loss of James Jones and EDS.

It´s true that we will be awarded compensation picks for those two, but don´t expect anything more than a sixth rounder for any of them.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The estimation from a Jets blog for 2015 compensatory picks are:

7th rounder: 1- 3.1 million a year
6th rounder: 3.1 -4.6 million a year
5th rounder: 4.6 - 5.7 million a year
4th rounder: 5.7 - 7.5 million a year
3th rounder: more than 7.5 million a year

This is a solid estimation, although the length of the contract, the guaranteed money, the playing time and honours will also be taken into account.

So we will probably get a 6th rounder for both Evan-Dietrich Smith (4yrs, 3,61 million a year, 7,5 million guaranteed) and James Jones (3yrs, 3.33 million a year, 3,6 million guaranteed).

By the way, we won't get a pick for MD Jennings, since you can't get compensatory picks for RFA (and the value of the contract was too low anyways).

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s true that we will be awarded compensation picks for those two, but don´t expect anything more than a sixth rounder for any of them.

I love what Ted does when it comes to this sort of a thing especially Jennings. Drafted him in the 2nd round, got 7 really good years out of him, let a team in the division overpay for him, and is going to flip him for probably a 3rd Rd pick. I mean it's brilliant and fun to watch him conduct business like he does. Getting anything for Walden and EDS are bonuses considering he didn't draft either of them.

Corey Williams is another guy. 6th Rd pick who he didn't draft and then flips him 4 years later for a 2nd. Granted that pick turned into Brohm but still a great move at the time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I completely forgot that Peppers and Guion had been cut. That's an excellent point. Two additional 6th round picks would be very welcome indeed. Plus there are 5 or 6 teams yet that will still be cutting players because they are up against the cap. Could be that a TE, C or safety becomes available that Ted likes.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Franklin and Harris to compete for the returner job along with someone they pick up as a DB or WR in the draft. I highly doubt they'll spend a pick on a guy to just do that. They like versatile guys, not overly specialized ones. Ross was perfect of this in that he was potentially a great special teamer on returns (if he could have held onto the ball) and on coverage. Too bad he didn't work out. I can't see why someone like Franklin (who is going to be on the bubble with Lacy and Starks ahead of him considering how much the coaches seem to like Harris) won't try to fill the same roll. That'd be way better than spending a pick on someone like Archer who'll be on the field infrequently and will probably get hurt sooner rather than later.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s a good thing when the Packers are rewarded with comp picks for free agents they lose and it’s a good thing the Packers’ compensation won’t be affected by signing Peppers and Guion regarding compensation picks. But IMO that should never be the most important reason for any personnel move. I’m not saying anyone is advocating that here but just wanted to mention it. IOW, if there’s a free agent safety Thompson is considering signing, I hope how that signing will affect compensation picks doesn’t enter his mind.

Eviser8d

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought that comp picks for comping teams for free agents they drafted and lost to free agency. Not losing free agents drafted by other teams! Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks

D

Deleted member 6794

I always thought that comp picks for comping teams for free agents they drafted and lost to free agency. Not losing free agents drafted by other teams! Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks

Teams are awarded compensation picks for players they lost during the offseason in the previous year. But only for guys whose contract ended, not for RFAs that weren't tendered or were released.

The formula isn't known to the public, but salary, performance and honors with the new team are taken into consideration.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Archer and Thomas can both play RB or WR along with returning kicks and punts. So they are multi dimensional talents. Able to be the number 6 reciever or number 4 running back while being the starting kickoff and punt returner. Well worth a 5th round pick in my book.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts