TT Drafting For Need: Good Thing?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The Vikings/Bearers forums are all VERY happy with TT's job as well.

The overriding theme, "Rodgers didn't get any new weapons".

Yes, TT's picks are PANDERING to the rivals.
Rodgers needed weapons? OH NO! WHAT HAVE WE DONE!!! Here I thought the only thing the offense needed was line depth... Not like our defense didn rock last year, it practically turned to stone

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

KNIGHT- Go to the Viking/Bearers (sic) forums and research this further. You are going to have to dedicate 100% of your online time there, though, to really get a good feel for how Ted is perceived there.

Report back here in a year or two.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Vikings and Bears fans have been losing for so long they've gotten a bit doofy. See, here is the problem. Packer defense sucked. Packer defense just improved its personnel dramatically. Probable result: Packer defense improves significantly next year. Further result: Opposing teams score less points, gain less yards, are on the field less. Effect on Rodgers: He spends more time on the playing field.

Has the Packer offense taken any steps back or will they continue to be a powerhouse? Hmmmm, any big time receivers they lost? Nope. Matter of fact Randall Cobb could be their next breakout receiver. Any downgrade in the OL? Wells gone. But wait, Packers got Jeff Saturday. Sitton, Lang, Bulaga. No questions there. LT? Let's see, it was a shambles last year. This year? Newhouse looks to improve, Sherrod looks to come back from an injury.

Ok how about RB? Lost Grant. <yawn> A healthy Starks, a developing Saine, high hopes for AJ Green.

TE? Finley there, hopefully won't have the butterfingers.

How bout FB? Kuhn is still a Packer far as I know.

Conclusion: Packer offense don't look like it's any worse to me.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Rodgers needed weapons? OH NO! WHAT HAVE WE DONE!!! Here I thought the only thing the offense needed was line depth... Not like our defense didn rock last year, it practically turned to stone

It's a shame it fell to dead last. I was having too much fun saying the Patriots had the worst defense in the league, then the Packers fell to last after the final Lions game.:(

I took pride in that 31st ranking damnit.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not surprised, the only need on offense was a HB but we have Starks and Green for that. Our offense is completly full with WR's TE's QB HB o-line is young might need some depth but looks good to me. Defense was the only problem and his done exactly that to improve it this year.

Muir - Hargrove - Raji - Pickett will have new rookies to work with and won't be gazed out.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
As for boards, Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel has won the top 100 board two years in a row. Here's his list, not in specific order 1 to 100 but you can see prospects ranked within their position groups. Simple to see how highly valued our first three picks are ranked:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/148822425.html
As for Nick Perry having the lateral ability to cover, I refer you to the PC's the Packers brass had after the draft. They mentioned how the "game is changing" and how the Satins game of last year the Packers were never in base defense. They drafted another CB. Is it impossible to see that they acknowledge Perry's last of coverage ability by drafting another CB? Is is possible Capers sees a scenario where Perry rushes and he has another CB in coverage to make up for Perry's perceived shortcomings?
Can we agree that Perry might not be perfect but still be better in coverage than Walden/Zombo/Jones? There is no question his potential to generate rushing the QB is far and away higher than these three? The perceived problem of last year's defense was lack of ability to generate a rush. As far as my view goes, they've vastly improved that position.
DE was an obvious weakness last year, the Packers grabbed their favorite 5 tech at a great value. I would be surprised if any of us would have questioned Worthy had the Packers grabbed him at 28. Finally, they drafted a CB that several analysts suggested had the 2nd best ball skills in the draft and a CB who "fit" GBs style of play.
I've always hoped one day the Packers could load up the back end of the draft by selecting "high risk/high reward" players and injury picks as the Packers would be solid enough to allow the coachable to develop and the injured time to heal. We don't need them to contribute right now. I'm delighted to see that the day has arrived for the Packers and they were able to draft some possible "home run" picks late.
Looking around at the rest of the NFC North, or the rest of the NFL for that matter, the Packers did not lose ground to other teams, they either tread water or surpassed them in young talent once again.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

This cracks me up. The Packers already have so many weapons on offense they can't find enough time to use them all in a game.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly Ted has made a statement in the first couple rounds that he wants the problems on defense fixed...and he seems to have made some very good moves to accomplish that.

My question: For a guy who is typically a "Best Value Available" GM, does it worry anyone that he appears to be drafting purely for need this year, like so many GM's around the league do? Is he regressing into a typical GM that merely sees this year's particular needs, and ignores the long term approach?

You guys clearly don't read Vic's awesome blog on Packers.com :)

But seriously, he stuck to his BAP philosophy, he just did it differently this year. Usually he trades back so he can get good value while possibly addressing a need. This year he traded UP to get value and address needs. Just b/c he drafted for need doesn't mean he didn't also draft the BAP. In fact, he moved around so the player we needed WAS the BAP. That's the key.

He could've sat in our spots and picked whoever fell to us and fit a need. He didn't. He moved to get the BAP that fit a need. Huge difference!

Members online

Latest posts