Transfer portal and NIL Money, how they have changed college sports".

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do definitely agree with you that the under the table stuff was happening. However, there was always the fear of getting caught and having to keep it on the "smaller" dollar side to keep it quiet. I too have no issue with college athletes making money for their name and likeness. However, I am totally against NIL money going way beyond that, which is using it to entice H.S. recruits or Transfer portal athletes, that haven't even earned it.

Cap the NIL money at a reasonable amount, Limit its use to players that have been in the program for a year or more (earned the money) and put a cap on how many transfer portals each program can accept.

The current system isn't leveling the playing field, it's skewing the crap out of it.
Florida is entertaining a law that would allow high school athletes to get NIL money. Strictly speaking, nobody should have a right to tell people they can't make money legally. If it goes through in Florida, expect Alabama, Georgia, and the rest of the Southern states to jump on board. In Texas, they'll be giving the most gifted kids more money than their pappy makes!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Florida is entertaining a law that would allow high school athletes to get NIL money. Strictly speaking, nobody should have a right to tell people they can't make money legally. If it goes through in Florida, expect Alabama, Georgia, and the rest of the Southern states to jump on board. In Texas, they'll be giving the most gifted kids more money than their pappy makes!

While I agree with this statement, if the NCAA can live with the idea that players are now professionals (make money at their craft), then so be it. With the pace that NIL and the transfer portal have consumed and altered what once was amateur sports, it won't take me long to lose interest in college sports, as I have already done with most "Professional" sports.

There will be fans that are just fine with greed and excess and maybe that will keep it afloat. Me? I will find other ways to spend my time and money.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do definitely agree with you that the under the table stuff was happening. However, there was always the fear of getting caught and having to keep it on the "smaller" dollar side to keep it quiet. I too have no issue with college athletes making money for their name and likeness. However, I am totally against NIL money going way beyond that, which is using it to entice H.S. recruits or Transfer portal athletes, that haven't even earned it.

Cap the NIL money at a reasonable amount, Limit its use to players that have been in the program for a year or more (earned the money) and put a cap on how many transfer portals each program can accept.

The current system isn't leveling the playing field, it's skewing the crap out of it.
There are some common sense limits that could be put on the TP and NIL. Don't count on the NCAA to do it though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Even their playoff for the title is a joke. Why 12 teams?
My issue with the 4 team format was that a team could not play its way into the tournament like the BB one. Going undefeated, even in a power 5 conference would not guarantee a slot if it meant an SEC team would be left out. With a 12 team format how do you really differentiate between #11 and 14?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My issue with the 4 team format was that a team could not play its way into the tournament like the BB one. Going undefeated, even in a power 5 conference would not guarantee a slot if it meant an SEC team would be left out. With a 12 team format how do you really differentiate between #11 and 14?
You're right. It's almost impossible to figure it out. That's why I believe the 16 team format is really the only way to fly.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. It's almost impossible to figure it out. That's why I believe the 16 team format is really the only way to fly.
In a 16-team format, a team would have to win 4 games for the title, as would their title-game opponent. So three total weeks or five if there is a week off before the title game, like the SB. Seems doable and interesting. As for field selection, this could address some of the issues noted by Poppa, allowing at least some play-in conferences.

I would certainly be interested in such a format. The question though is - will the big name players show up, or sit out for the draft? I guess under any format that will be a problem. By that time, a player probably doesn't need a championship tournament to establish his worth in the draft. I don't know the answer, but would opt for a 16 team playoff. Enough players will show up to make it worthwhile, I think.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not even sure where to post this, but just another example of the NFL money that is tossed around for average NFL talent.

I saw that Davante Parker has decided to walk away from his contract with the Eagles, after 9 years in the league. I knew his name but was curious about his stats. I included those below. Really only 1 good year in the NFL (2019) and the guy made $54,135,496. THAT is crazy!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even sure where to post this, but just another example of the NFL money that is tossed around for average NFL talent.

I saw that Davante Parker has decided to walk away from his contract with the Eagles, after 9 years in the league. I knew his name but was curious about his stats. I included those below. Really only 1 good year in the NFL (2019) and the guy made $54,135,496. THAT is crazy!

Even more pronounced in baseball, where guys with a 4.50 ERA, and less than 5 wins, and no saves, nor holds, get $4 mill. It's reached epic proportions in pro sports. Don't get me started on soccer players. I'll never understand that one either.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even more pronounced in baseball, where guys with a 4.50 ERA, and less than 5 wins, and no saves, nor holds, get $4 mill. It's reached epic proportions in pro sports. Don't get me started on soccer players. I'll never understand that one either.
It always goes back to where the money really starts. The NFL, certainly soccer, and MLB have huge followings and a huge demand for those sports to be broadcast. This attracts advertisers, streaming services, pay per view, and on. These sports attract a lot of money.

The franchises are all privately held, so it's hard to see how much money each franchise clears after payroll and other costs, but I'm certain it's very lucrative.

So I'm not surprised to see an example such as the one Poker posted. This is gonna happen. To me, the best example of this excess is what Cleveland gave up for Deshaun Watson. Owners are willing to take risks, and sometimes they fail and it looks like the player got away with a crime.

But not really. This is what happens when a lot of money is chasing too few players.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I'm wondering if lawsuits such as this, could be more prevalent moving forward? I guess how this shakes out in the courts, will determine that.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering if lawsuits such as this, could be me more prevalent moving forward? I guess how this shakes out in the courts, will determine that.

Interesting. If there is no contract there is probably no basis to sue. And almost $14 mil for a recruit? Doesn’t add up.

But yeah, these guys need agents and lawyers to craft such deals.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm wondering if lawsuits such as this, could be more prevalent moving forward? I guess how this shakes out in the courts, will determine that.

Now that the money part of college sports is the Wild West, I can imagine a lot more lawsuits happen, until precedents are set. This is unchartered waters for most programs and if they don't have all their legal ducks in a row, blood sniffing lawyers will find ways to sue and extract money, from both ends of the money equation.

What happens when a recruit takes a huge NIL payment and then decides to "retire" or gets kicked off of a team?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would imagine all the NIL deals are subjective to restrictions, including actual performance. If you ain't there, nobody is going to hand you the money out of the goodness of their heart. The kid was expected to perform certain functions, while attending that school. Failure to do so is not compliance with the contract.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would imagine all the NIL deals are subjective to restrictions, including actual performance. If you ain't there, nobody is going to hand you the money out of the goodness of their heart. The kid was expected to perform certain functions, while attending that school. Failure to do so is not compliance with the contract.
Right. But what if that kid already got paid? If the NIL money is set up as an enticement to transfer, is it paid out all at once? What if it isn't and the company that promised the money goes out of business, reneges on the deal, etc.

Like I said. This is quite a bit of unchartered waters for the Universities, Athletes and Benefactors, so there will be a lot of lawsuits until precedents are set and rules are iron clad.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. But what if that kid already got paid? If the NIL money is set up as an enticement to transfer, is it paid out all at once? What if it isn't and the company that promised the money goes out of business, reneges on the deal, etc.

Like I said. This is quite a bit of unchartered waters for the Universities, Athletes and Benefactors, so there will be a lot of lawsuits until precedents are set and rules are iron clad.
Based on the contracts that I know about, there isn't an out front payment, so to speak. There may be a few hundred dollars in advance of contractual compliance, but there's a schedule of payments based on performance of duties associated with it. There are too many possibilities that can happen, which would give the donor pause to pay more than that.

In one, that I know of, even school grades come into the mix. You're either maintaining eligibility, or you don't get money. You either perform certain functions, or you don't get money. You attend practices, and all required attendances as applied by the school/program, or you don't get money. Get arrested for any reason, and you don't get money. Each can even include termination of the agreement between the donors and the student.

The higher priced deals are usually nationally realized deals with companies like AT&T, Nike, or any variety of donors. They are for the most part one year deals, that have a donor option clause to continue them in each successive year, at their choice. Once again, "good cause" dismissal from the deal is included to favor the donors getting what they will pay for.

Any donors who guarantee money out front are pretty much idiots, or liars. The kid's agent is also a buffoon. He should have known better.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the contracts that I know about, there isn't an out front payment, so to speak. There may be a few hundred dollars in advance of contractual compliance, but there's a schedule of payments based on performance of duties associated with it. There are too many possibilities that can happen, which would give the donor pause to pay more than that.

In one, that I know of, even school grades come into the mix. You're either maintaining eligibility, or you don't get money. You either perform certain functions, or you don't get money. You attend practices, and all required attendances as applied by the school/program, or you don't get money. Get arrested for any reason, and you don't get money. Each can even include termination of the agreement between the donors and the student.

The higher priced deals are usually nationally realized deals with companies like AT&T, Nike, or any variety of donors. They are for the most part one year deals, that have a donor option clause to continue them in each successive year, at their choice. Once again, "good cause" dismissal from the deal is included to favor the donors getting what they will pay for.

Any donors who guarantee money out front are pretty much idiots, or liars. The kid's agent is also a buffoon. He should have known better.
Anyway we look at it, NIL sounds like a Full Employment Act for lawyers, as if they needed the help......

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway we look at it, NIL sounds like a Full Employment Act for lawyers, as if they needed the help......
It's become a big deal for some attorneys, and some have even added their own title of "NIL Agent" to their jobs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty good article on the state of NIL in college sports:

It does make me wonder, will the NCAA have to establish an "NIL Cap" for each school, like a salary cap? I'm kidding. Sort of.

Part of me really dislikes NIL. But in fairness, it's the players and coaches who sell tickets, attract broadcast rights, and attract advertising. Why shouldn't they be paid? And the view that college and olympic athletics is amateur and the players shouldn't receive anything is naive, and has been for a long time. If anything, it's contributed to graft and corruption. The implementation of NIL will be imperfect, but it's better than doing nothing at all.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It does make me wonder, will the NCAA have to establish an "NIL Cap" for each school, like a salary cap? I'm kidding. Sort of.
That has been my stance for a long time. Comparing it to the NFL salary cap.

Tell me how programs will stay competitive, even within their own divisions, when you are looking at these kind of numbers: I grabbed screen shots for some Big10 schools. Compare OSU/Michigan to Maryland/Rutgers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That has been my stance for a long time. Comparing it to the NFL salary cap.

Tell me how programs will stay competitive, even within their own divisions, when you are looking at these kind of numbers: I grabbed screen shots for some Big10 schools. Compare OSU/Michigan to Maryland/Rutgers.

Good point. OSU has $100 mil more than Rutgers. Without a uniform cap, there will never be parity, not even close. And some say that's ok, OSU and Rutgers don't have parity now. That's right, but this makes it permanent.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking Poker's post one step further, take a look at how this whole thing is playing out across all of DI football, and how it's playing out in the Big 10, at all levels.

Looking at Texas, and the $120 mill, which just grew at least another $10 mill, one sponsor even offering air travel. Then take a good look at the Big 10, and you can look two or three years down the road and the teams will pretty welll finish in the order of their NIL contributions.

Another issue is results. A program, without results, can instantly lose support. Ask the Michigan State Spartans, who all of a sudden are scraping to get bus fares together, because they aren't a top winner. It's going to happen across the board to teams that don't win. People putting money up want winners, not losers. Even P.J. Fleck, at Minnesota says it straight out. If they don't get more money in their collective, they will be a AAA team, referring to baseball's minor leagues. Imagine QBs being "bought" for as much as $7 mill a year. Some of these guys would rather spend 15 years in college if they could, with that kind of money. These are guys who haven't even got a shot of making a roster in the NFL.

Check it out.

Members online

Latest posts