Tramon Williams gave up most yards in NFL history

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't confirm this but I saw it posted elsewhere from profootballfocus.com that he gave up 1034 yards, which is the most given up by a single CB.

What do you make of his falloff from last year?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They receiver they're covering catches the ball
Ya mean if a receiver catches a ball 25 yards from scrimmage than the CB is charged with giving up 25 yards even if the receiver is tackled and downed right away?

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its because he thought he was a linebacker all year and so he was always covering the TE's.
Hes only just realised now that hes a CB and so he is ready for a big post season

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
What more can you expect from the back field when they got no help at all from the linebackers or DE's to help them by giving quarterback's pressure?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The #'s on Woodson must be nearly as bad. We can't cover, we can't tackle and we can't rush the passer. Three deadly sins. Other than that we play great defense.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me at all. Combination of no pressure on the QB and teams having to pass more as they have been behind all season. 29 sacks this year.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What more can you expect from the back field when they got no help at all from the linebackers or DE's to help them by giving quarterback's pressure?
So its also fault of the front seven that Tramon is always going for the pick, or the strip insted of trying to deflect the pass or tackle the ball carrier?

Reaction score
It's called covering the best receiver and letting the QB have 30 seconds to throw. Of course the lack of pass rush will make Tramon look bad

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think Dom Capers agrees with those that believe Williams and the other DBs don’t share in the blame for the performance of the defense this season. Here's the "money quote" from a jsonline article I linked to in the defensive issues thread: "Capers can't understand why his secondary can't defend a post route it keeps seeing over and over again." Williams has lost coverage on several of those routes this season and that's not all on the DL and LBs. He was playing hurt earlier in the season but he hasn't returned to his play from last season since.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a bogus stat. How on earth can they account for a safety that didn't help soon enough, or zone coverages in which the CB doesn't have a man, per se.

Also "history of the league" doesn't apply. The NFL as it exists now is completely different than it was 10 years ago, let alone 80 years ago. Defenses are now penalized for so much as breathing on a QB wrong and WRs are allowed to push and shove all day but if it even looks like a CB MIGHT have touched a receiver early, he gets a penalty. In fact, a receiver can run directly into a defender and expect to draw a PI or illegal contact penalty. You can't bump a receiver more than 5 yards downfield. It used to be you could bump him all the way downfield as long as he hasn't clearly made separation (it's still that way in high school).

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No excuses for that. He should be embarrassed. If he doesnt fix it, Ted will for him.

I wouldnt be upset if we drafted a CB in the first round.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Williams has been taking more of the best WRs this season as Woodson's speed has fallen off.
I believe that happened last season. As I remember it, Williams and Shields played the more traditional CB positions in Capers' 2-4-5 base D with Woodson playing the "rover" position. Williams does indeed get the toughest receiver to cover, week after week, but I'm pretty sure that was the case last year, too.

I hope a front 7 player on D is available for the Packers' pick at #32(!) but if the top-rated player on the Packers' board is a CB, you can bet that's who'll they'll take. Even more than what happens in the draft (I'm confident Thompson will do his usual above-average job there), I REALLY hope the doctors tell Nick Collins it's OK to return to his NFL career. That'll mean more for the Packers than any rookie could...

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
So its also fault of the front seven that Tramon is always going for the pick, or the strip insted of trying to deflect the pass or tackle the ball carrier?

Tramon Williams is one guy in the back field everyone expects to do all the work because there is absolutely zero pass rush from the linebackers so in terms, yes that does hurt. You can't expect all your Corners to do all the work the entire game.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't think we should be throwing him or any guys in the secondary under the bus. You gotta remember, they are doing the best they can when there is absolutely no pressure at all on the quarterback and they have all the time in the world to throw it. This team leads the league in interceptions and is ranked 32nd, which means they are half way to a good decent defense. Replace the zero pass rush with a blitz core that constantly hits the quarterback and this could be a top 10 defense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No excuses for that. He should be embarrassed. If he doesnt fix it, Ted will for him.

I wouldnt be upset if we drafted a CB in the first round.
I bet what you want that TT will not cut Tramon Williams in the near future, outside of health.

People pay way too much attention to yardage. I blame ESPN. But then again, ESPN can't think for the people. There's a bunch of factors that led to Tramon getting this "record", a lot of what has already been said in here.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a big part of the blame for it, he does, but yardage is quite frankly the least important stat in all of NFL measurement stats. It's much more circumstantial than people make it out to be, and it's demonstrative of very little.

I'd rather see what's the average QB rating of throws guarded by him.

Members online

Latest posts