Training Camp Notebook: Like A Fine Wine ...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com

Donald Driver likely will have a bruise after trying to haul in a Brett Favre pass with his chest instead of his hands on Thursday morning.

"He tried to kill me," he said. "I was trying to figure out how to catch it."

Favre's 9-of-10, 91-yard passing performance against the San Diego Chargers may have been the sign of things to come. He has looked crisp during training camp -- even by his Pro Bowl standards.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"He's been very sharp -- great decision making, accuracy, arm, everything," Sherman said.

Favre shredded the defense during 7-on-7 and 9-on-7 drills. He hit Robert Ferguson, Javon Walker and Ben Steele for touchdowns. The Walker pass traveled 40 yards while Favre placed the ball between linebacker Hannibal Navies and safety Earl Little to reach Steele.

"He's not afraid to rifle it in there - that's for sure," Steele said. "He fired one in there the other day that I kind of caught on the side of his helmet. He put it on me pretty quick."

An observer can tell Favre's increasing age by the number of grey hairs on his head but not by his passes, which whip off his hands like they did 10 years ago.

"He's been tremendous," Driver said. "He's been throwing some great balls."

Quick Hits: The Packers went inside the Don Hutson Center for the last 30 minutes of the afternoon practice in an effort to sharpen their mental focus. ... Cornerback Jason Horton broke up two passes intended for wide receiver Andrae Thurman during the afternoon practice. ... Milwaukee Bucks general manager Larry Harris attended Thursday morning's practice. ... The Packers wore shorts in the morning session after four straight days of wearing full pads. ... Carroll sported an old-school Mohawk hairstyle. ...Defensive tackles Cletidus Hunt (knee, shoulder) and Grady Jackson (knee) did not practice, but they hit a tackling sled. Batesoversaw them practice their hand technique. ...The defensive line did a good job of obstructing the passing lanes. Defensive lineman Kenny Peterson tipped a Craig Nall pass, which resulted in an interception for defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins. Defensive tackle Colin Cole picked off a J.T. O'Sullivan throw, which Donnell Washington tipped

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is an amazing person. His ability to handle pain is incredible. But here's the key, if he can stay focused an stops throwing into coverage, with his running backs and his receivers, he's gong to be very hard to beat. I'd still take him over any quarterback in the league.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were Sharper I would be very worried, he is going to get burned a lot by Favre, acctually I were on any other teams secondary I will be worried about Favre and his targets !!!! We will have a good season and Defense will improve under Bates and having a bunch of hungry players in the field instead of spoiled ones, this leads me to Hunt and Grady,,, wil they ever play in the pre season??? :twisted:

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre won't have to worry about durability if the offensive line and backs can BLOCK.

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Favre throwing to Driver, Walker, Furguson and Chattman plus Steel and Bubba I think they will be great.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought Brett was more like a cold Brew than a fine wine. :mrgreen:

He doesn't run fast anymore, but he is still nifty and quick, moving around in the pocket to find an open receiver and to elude D-linemen. In that regard Brett still looks more mobile to me than the other QBs. Rodgers took off a few times the other night to run down field for a few yards, but he looked kind of stiff to me standing around in the pocket when looking for a receiver compared to Brett who still looks light on his feet dancing around to find an open receiver.

Members online

Latest posts